Specific Pre Med advice for a new student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I just joined this site and thought it was a good chance for me to get some feed back. I just finished my first semester at my university and ended up with an A in General physics 1, A in physics lab (separate at my school), A- in bio-basic life mechanisms(with lab), A- in english, and A in my online computing course. I was wondering if this was a good semester for me as I never really tried in high school so it was a tough adjustment, and how what top med schools would think of it. Also in high school I only took 1 AP course which was AP Calc and ended up with a D- in the class but a 4 on the AP exam, I was planning on taking calc 2 in the summer but Im not that good at math so any advice on if thats a good or bad idea or tips on how to study for it is much appreciated. My schedule for next semester is microbio with lab, Plant and animal bio with lab, Chem skills and reasoning without a lab, and either psychology or medical terminology online. I was wondering if that is to tough of a schedule and what experiences have u guys had with online course like psych and med terminology. I know that micro is graded based on how the class does, so outta like 250 students only a certain amount can get A's some A-"s and so on. Please any input at all or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply, But I heard that calc 2 is not a continuation of one is there any truth to that? Also what are your experiences with online courses? And is med terminology a course worth taking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, But I heard that calc 2 is not a continuation of one is there any truth to that? Also what are your experiences with online courses? And is med terminology a course worth taking?

uh, calc 2 is kind of a continuation of 1. just how math works.

its different in bio where you can take a plant biology course and next semester an animal biology course (obviously the latter is the not a continuation of the former)

1 --> 2 --> 3

thank you for replying, have you taken calc 2? and what were your experiences with it? Also I was planning on taking it at a community college in the summer, would that look bad? Also how closely related is General physics 1 with calc 2? we did a lot of 3D motion and vector stuff.

I have taken Calculus II...and III and so on, and I think 1 = 3 but 2 follows both. You can do multivariable calculus with Calc 1 knowledge, but Calc 2 100% builds on to Calc 1.

1) what are your experiences with online courses?
2) And is med terminology a course worth taking?
Many med schools don't accept on-line coursework. This is generally true for the prerequisites with labs, unless maybe you're active military in a war zone, and variably true for other classes. Be sure of the policies of your most preferred med schools. Some of our applicants have had to retake classes at great expense when they belatedly found this was the case.

2) If you're considering PA school, it's often a prerequisite. Otherwise, not so much. It's not always the "easy A" students think it will be.

thanks for the reply's guys I really appreciate them. In my school calc 2 is required along with statistics for a BS in biology, any tips on how to succeed in this course without going back and taking calc 1, I already have some basics in working with equations, taking derivatives, and solving story problems from physics ( our physics course was insane). Also thanks for letting me know that some med schools don't accept online coursework, I will look into that because the Psych class does have a lab I must take. Also med terminology is not a requirement for us but I was thinking that it would help me with my other biology and anatomy courses by learning certain roots of words and stuff, would this be true? I was planning on beginning to volunteer and shadow over the summer is that too late? Because I work 2 days a week and help coach my former team in high school so I really wanted to focus on that and studying. Please can someone give me any insight on my next semester schedule, anything at all is much appreciated.