Specific School Curriculums

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmandrake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I wanted to start a thread to let others know a little more about a school's curriculum so they could be better informed when making a decision about that school. I am going to list my first year, first semester classes and then give my opinion overall on the curriculum so far. I hope to add to this as I progress through med school. I was really looking for something like this as I got accepted into several schools and it was hard for me to make a decision. I chose Creighton.

Creighton Curriculum M1 First Semester
Anatomy: We have many different lecturers for anatomy and embryology is included in anatomy, it is not a separate course. Most lecturers have a powerpoint of just pictures and a few words. Not really useful. Gross lab is mostly MWF.

MCB: Molecular and Cell Biology. Same as anatomy with a bunch of different lecturers. Powerpoints with more words compared to Anatomy. We have MCB small group every week or so where we are given a small case (someone with a skin lesion that appears cancerous) to discuss with our small group (a group of around 16 students and 2 professors/physicians). In my opinion this should come in the second year because we start talking a lot of path stuff (I've skimmed over most of Robbins Pathology and this is the stuff they start talking about and expect you to know).

Ethics: Speaks for itself. We have Ethics small groups too where we talk about certain ethical cases we are given to read. We have to watch a video series and discuss that also. The series is called "Unnatural Causes".

IPE: Interviewing and Physical Exam. I also think this class should be given in the second year. We are thrown into interviewing actors in front of our small group. We were never really trained in what to say and we are videotaped and critiqued.

Overall I think at Creighton they try to do a lot of hand holding and I think I made the wrong choice by choosing them. We have class on most days from 8am-5pm. We had a personality tests and stress management classes in the beginning but they didn't realize that if they just gave us good notes, we wouldn't be as stressed. They have a billion different resources that they come up to try to help us but most of them are useless because they aren't lecture specific. They should hire full time professional note takers for us. I know schools that do this. We have this crap system called "note service" that the students run but everyone takes notes in a different format and it is full of mistakes. How do you trust notes like that? Plus most of these notes are posted online late (like 2-3 days after the actual lecture) so if you depend on them, you will be behind and when that test comes on Friday, some notes from that week won't even be available. What a great system.

All the pertinent info is given in lecture so you spend your time writing down rapid speed notes and if you are stuck on something, you will most likely miss the next thing they are saying. And who here can really write as fast as someone speaks? You need to go back and listen to the podcast to catch what they are saying. This to me is an inefficient process. Remember, you don't have full notes beforehand or at all, just powerpoint with pictures so you can't really read the lecture ahead of time because it's useless in helping you understand what is going on. You could read Moore's before class or something and I think that might help. There is also a student with hearing problems in our class who needs to read lips, should he be penalized because he misses something in lecture? I think the professors here are just lazy and don't want to put together good notes for us. Powerpoints are a cop-out.

There is one professor named Dr. Brauer that does have PDF notes and almost every friend I talk to finds his notes the best and his lectures the best. I guess you can tell from my post that I am a little disappointed. Maybe you guys can share something about the curriculums are your schools so I can really see if I made the right choice. Thanks!

FYI: I am doing very well in these courses so this isn't an angry post from someone who is failing if that matters at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Umm ... why was this moved? I know pre-meds are supposed to read this and get something out of this too but how are med students supposed to add to the thread if it is in the pre-med forum? This is for medical school students to read so that they could compare their curriculum to other schools. That is the primary purpose. The secondary purpose is for pre-meds to read. Thank you.

Umm ... why was this moved? I know pre-meds are supposed to read this and get something out of this too but how are med students supposed to add to the thread if it is in the pre-med forum? This is for medical school students to read so that they could compare their curriculum to other schools. That is the primary purpose. The secondary purpose is for pre-meds to read. Thank you.

Lots of med students post in pre-allo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of med students post in pre-allo.

This is like me writing a post in which only neurosurgury residents can contribute to, having someone move that thread to the allopathic forum, and then assuming that neurosurgery residents visit the allopathic forum. Yes, they may visit but why not leave the thread in the right forum in the first place? The forum that is named for them. Good logic.

OP, calm down about the thread movage. the people to whom it will be most useful are in pre-allo, so it makes perfect sense that it got moved.

this thread is good idea, though, and i'd be curious to hear about schools i'm applying to.

BUT: seeing the word "curriculums" grates on my eyes like nails on a chalkboard. ugh.

OP, calm down about the thread movage. the people to whom it will be most useful are in pre-allo, so it makes perfect sense that it got moved.

this thread is good idea, though, and i'd be curious to hear about schools i'm applying to.

BUT: seeing the word "curriculums" grates on my eyes like nails on a chalkboard. ugh.

I am calm but it doesn't make perfect sense as the ONLY people who can contribute to it can't see it.

Oh yea, and curriculums is a real word: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curriculum

The OP has a point. In the Osteo forum, there's a great thread called "pros and cons of your school". Yes, it would be useful for pre-osteo, but the people contributing to it are med students, so it's in Osteo.

This thread should be in allo since they're the ones who can contribute. I'm sure there are more pre-allo people visiting allo than there are allo people visiting pre-allo. Generally, when med students become med students, they only have time to check into the pre-allo every now and then and threads in pre-allo move to the second and third page fast without enough response. But pre-allo kids have much more time to check in on the allo forum for an on-going thread.

Moderators, please move this thread back to allo.

Disagree. The purpose of the allo forum is to discuss issues relating to being in med school. This thread's stated purpose means it belings in pre-allo. The idea that the allo forum has a higher volume of med students reading it is not a valid reason for this thread to be posted there. You will frequently see threads on that forum where people say "I put this in allo b/c I really want med student's opinions" - they all end up getting moved to pre-allo, and rightly so. Plenty of med students read and post on the pre-allo forum.

Last edited:
I know it's hard to grasp this sort of logic but if no one can contribute, how does anyone benefit? This thread will just die. I know pre-meds would like to read this kind of thing but it doesn't help if there is nothing to read.

I'm done trying to make my argument here. Pre-meds ... I tried to help you guys out with something I would have liked when I was applying. Good luck.

I know it's hard to grasp this sort of logic but if no one can contribute, how does anyone benefit? This thread will just die. I know pre-meds would like to read this kind of thing but it doesn't help if there is nothing to read.

I'm done trying to make my argument here. Pre-meds ... I tried to help you guys out with something I would have liked when I was applying. Good luck.

Plenty of people can contribute. This forum has by far the highest volume on the site. Tons of med students read and actively participate here.

Disagree. The purpose of the allo forum is to discuss issues relating to being in med school. This thread's stated purpose means it belings in pre-allo. The idea that the allo forum has a higher volume of med students reading it is not a valid reason for this thread to be posted there. You will frequently see threads on that forum where people say "I put this in allo b/c I really want med student's opinions" - they all end up getting moved to pre-allo, and rightly so.

The difference is those threads are PRE MED issues. This thread was started by a MED STUDENT, in hopes of comparing his med school to other med schools. It wasn't started to give pre-meds info about med schools. It's almost IDENTICAL to the pro and cons thread in the Osteo forum. It's a med student issue, not a pre-med issue. If pre-meds want to read, they can, but the purpose of the thread, as I understood it, wasn't to benefit pre-meds.

The difference is those threads are PRE MED issues. This thread was started by a MED STUDENT, in hopes of comparing his med school to other med schools. It wasn't started to give pre-meds info about med schools. It's almost IDENTICAL to the pro and cons thread in the Osteo forum. It's a med student issue, not a pre-med issue. If pre-meds want to read, they can, but the purpose of the thread, as I understood it, wasn't to benefit pre-meds.

This is the OP's stated intent for the thread:

Hey Guys,

I wanted to start a thread to let others know a little more about a school's curriculum so they could be better informed when making a decision about that school.

This is a pre-allo issue, IMO

It's funny how the MOD who originally moved this thread moved it within 1 minute of my first post, but can't chime in here to discuss his/her reasons for moving a thread to a forum in which NO ONE from that forum is able to contribute because they ARENT in med school. It's beautiful how things are done here.

Yea I lied, I wasn't done. I'm just that passionate about this topic.

+pity+

i still think it's fine to have it in pre-allo. why is this so dramalicious for so many people? jeez

This is the OP's stated intent for the thread:

This is a pre-allo issue, IMO

Just because I stated my intent for the thread being for pre-meds to read, it doesn't mean it belongs in the pre med forum. I know that last sentence was hard for you to understand, but MODs need to use their best judgment in where a thread best belongs and where it will benefit the most people. The intent of the thread was also for med students to compare their curriculum with others, although you didn't mention that one at all because it doesn't help your argument. How nice of you to leave that out.

It will benefit both med students and pre-med students but it belongs in the allopathic forum where people will be able to contribute to it, not here where the main audience of the forum won't be able to do anything but read it.

The intent of the thread was also for med students to compare their curriculum with others, although you didn't mention that one at all because it doesn't help your argument. How nice of you to leave that out.

I didn't "leave that out" - you didn't say that in your original post. Only in your follow-up posts which took place after your thread got moved.

And in general, if you have a problem with the moderation on an internet forum, sending a private message to the site moderators is much more effective than publicly complaining about it repeatedly.

I didn't "leave that out" - you didn't say that in your original post. Only in your follow-up posts which took place after your thread got moved.

And in general, if you have a problem with the moderation on an internet forum, sending a private message to the site moderators is much more effective than publicly complaining about it repeatedly.

I did write "Maybe you guys can share something about the curriculums are your schools so I can really see if I made the right choice." so I did want to foster some sort of discussion between med school students.

I guess it's hard to see that when all you read is the first sentence to determine where a thread belongs.

OP, I think your argument should now change to discussing the difference between your thread and this thread which is up to 13 pages on the Osteo forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

It's pretty similar and it's been a huge success on the Osteo forum. Pre-osteo posters chime in here and there, but it's mainly a discussion between medical students about their schools and the differences in curriculum, rotations, etc. If that is allowed to stay AND FLOURISH in Osteo, why wasn't this one allowed to stay and flourish in ALLO instead of pre-allo, where only a few med students read and respond daily and where it will likely fall to page 10 by next weekend.

OP, I think your argument should now change to discussing the difference between your thread and this thread which is up to 13 pages on the Osteo forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=407104

It's pretty similar and it's been a huge success on the Osteo forum. Pre-osteo posters chime in here and there, but it's mainly a discussion between medical students about their schools and the differences in curriculum, rotations, etc. If that is allowed to stay AND FLOURISH in Osteo, why wasn't this one allowed to stay and flourish in ALLO instead of pre-allo, where only a few med students read and respond daily and where it will likely fall to page 10 by next weekend.

Thanks JJ for trying to fight this one with me but I doubt we'll make any progress into getting this thread to be anything like the thread you mentioned. I think you should just post something in Allopathic about comparing med school curricula and mention NOTHING about pre-med stuff so MODs don't get confused. I doubt they will have any reason to move it at that point. Make it clear that it is just a discussion between med school students and the pre-meds will catch on once the thread gets popular. I would do it but they will probably ban me for double posting or something stupid like that.

I think this should belong in the medical student forum also. Med students can compare their own school's curriculum to that of other schools, it's not just pre-meds who are curious about what curriculums at schools are like.

I have a feeling that if the OP didn't say "I wanted to start a thread to let others know a little more about a school's curriculum so they could be better informed when making a decision about that school." and said something more along the lines of "I wanted to start a thread to let others know a little more about a school's curriculum so they could compare what their school's curriculum is like compared to another's." it wouldn't have gotten moved. From that first sentence it makes it seem as if the thread was made to be for pre-meds.