Specifying specific oncology field of interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatup2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to specify a particular field of interest in oncology in your personal statement? Would it look bad (not thought through) if you just said “oncology” but you know your specific research interests involve something like palliative oncology?
... this is in addition to unfortunately only having 1 oncology LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to assume you're talking about the personal statement for fellowship. I'll answer from the ignorant perspective of an incoming fellow: I think most programs will want some insight in how you became interested in Oncology. There had to be something that intrigued you at some point along your medical journey that has you contemplating applying. If you're unable to come up with something, you may seem disingenuous, especially if you only have one LOR in the field. Applying to more community based places may overlook this, but academic centers will at least like to know that you have a type of cancer that you wouldn't mind contributing research to. Cheers.

Do you have to specify a particular field of interest in oncology in your personal statement? Would it look bad (not thought through) if you just said “oncology” but you know your specific research interests involve something like palliative oncology?
... this is in addition to unfortunately only having 1 oncology LOR.

I never specified a specific field within oncology that I was interested in in the PS when I applied this year (and matched well). I did have a pretty specific type of research which applies to many different types of cancers (although probably solids more than liquids) that I spoke at length about in my PS. I got asked about the type of cancer I was specifically interested in a few times in my interviews but never had to elaborate more than "something broadly in solids." I think if you can elaborate on your interests in palliative oncology it would be interesting and make for a more compelling read than general "oncology" which would probably not leave much of an impression on those who are reading your app. I do agree at academic places they are pretty interested in your research direction, so be prepared in that regard when asked.