Speed on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is getting close to the zero hour and I am still just barely finishing MCAT practice tests on time or not on time and having to guess at the end. Anyone else (i posted a similar thread before) have any tips for speeding up? I am getting desperate...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Cerberus
It is getting close to the zero hour and I am still just barely finishing MCAT practice tests on time or not on time and having to guess at the end. Anyone else (i posted a similar thread before) have any tips for speeding up? I am getting desperate...

You may just want to skim passages instead of reading them before you do questions. You will have to refer back to them anyway so do not take so long looking at them the first time. Also, I am not sure if you have been doing this, but write comments about the main gist of the passage as you go along so it will be easier to find the topic that refers to your question. I found it great to do the discrete questions in the science sections first before tackling passages. Also, do not spend too much time on one passage. If you feel like you cannot do it at first glance, quickly go to another passage and start on it. Remember, do what you know first. If you look at the topic of a passage and skim it quickly and feel like you can do it easily, then do it. NEVER spend too much time on one passage or question. Just skip it, circle it or do something to remind yourself that you skipped it and move on. You might even want to put a tentative answer in then go back if you have time. Good luck on the MCAT! The key thing is to be confident! Get a good night's sleep and do not study the day before the test! I hope you rock that behemoth! :clap:

are you getting stuck on a few questions and sacraficing time to try and solve these questions.

Make sure that you are moving on if you can't answer a question. This worked well for me. So, i'd burn through the exam and have about 10 questions that I needed to return to. This left me feeling confident that I could finish up. I then start working on the questions that required more thought.

When you get to a question and you can narrow it down to 2, take a guess. If you can't, skip it. DON'T WASTE TIME. Keep moving because it's the number correct that matter. when you get to the end of one section, if you pace yourself and keep moving you'll have plenty of time to go back. when you get to the end, take a minute, yes a minute to breathe, and then go back to the exam and start picking off the ones you didn't get the first time.

Originally posted by LP1CW
are you getting stuck on a few questions and sacraficing time to try and solve these questions.

Make sure that you are moving on if you can't answer a question. This worked well for me. So, i'd burn through the exam and have about 10 questions that I needed to return to. This left me feeling confident that I could finish up. I then start working on the questions that required more thought.

When you get to a question and you can narrow it down to 2, take a guess. If you can't, skip it. DON'T WASTE TIME. Keep moving because it's the number correct that matter. when you get to the end of one section, if you pace yourself and keep moving you'll have plenty of time to go back. when you get to the end, take a minute, yes a minute to breathe, and then go back to the exam and start picking off the ones you didn't get the first time.

this is what i have been trying to do... works great when i can actually get myself to move on... i hate not answering questions!

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
Take LSD...

No, try Meth. Its a great habit...

No seriously slow down and relax. No need to drive yourself crazy in the last few weeks and lower your score.

Do the easiest passages first. If you come across a passage that you feel may be hard for you, skip it. Then if you end up guessing, you'll be guessing on questions you may have not known anyway. The only thing you have to be careful of is marking your answer sheet correctly. If you skip a passage, make sure you skip to the correct spot on the answer sheet.

I actually didn't really have a problem finishing the tests, my problem was getting right answers haha. I took princeton review and the physics teacher told me to concentrate on getting right answers as opposed to finishing the test if it comes down to the two. Personally I don't like that advice, I would feel pretty ****ty if I didn't finish a section on the MCAT. However a friend of mine had to guess on the last two or three passages of phys sci and got a better score than me. I think it's too late now but princeton review also told us do all of our homework with a timer, this helped us not waste time on questions.

Cerbie I'm so proud of you! You are gonna do great!!:clap:

Originally posted by Eraserhead

No seriously slow down and relax. No need to drive yourself crazy in the last few weeks and lower your score.

Yeah, maybe relaxing is more important. For me, the MCAT was like this mad, stressful rush. Just stay focused and give each question the appropriate amount of time...don't rush.