• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It is getting close to the zero hour and I am still just barely finishing MCAT practice tests on time or not on time and having to guess at the end. Anyone else (i posted a similar thread before) have any tips for speeding up? I am getting desperate...
 
About the Ads

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Cerberus
It is getting close to the zero hour and I am still just barely finishing MCAT practice tests on time or not on time and having to guess at the end. Anyone else (i posted a similar thread before) have any tips for speeding up? I am getting desperate...


You may just want to skim passages instead of reading them before you do questions. You will have to refer back to them anyway so do not take so long looking at them the first time. Also, I am not sure if you have been doing this, but write comments about the main gist of the passage as you go along so it will be easier to find the topic that refers to your question. I found it great to do the discrete questions in the science sections first before tackling passages. Also, do not spend too much time on one passage. If you feel like you cannot do it at first glance, quickly go to another passage and start on it. Remember, do what you know first. If you look at the topic of a passage and skim it quickly and feel like you can do it easily, then do it. NEVER spend too much time on one passage or question. Just skip it, circle it or do something to remind yourself that you skipped it and move on. You might even want to put a tentative answer in then go back if you have time. Good luck on the MCAT! The key thing is to be confident! Get a good night's sleep and do not study the day before the test! I hope you rock that behemoth! :clap:
 

LP1CW

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2003
651
1
50
Status (Visible)
are you getting stuck on a few questions and sacraficing time to try and solve these questions.

Make sure that you are moving on if you can't answer a question. This worked well for me. So, i'd burn through the exam and have about 10 questions that I needed to return to. This left me feeling confident that I could finish up. I then start working on the questions that required more thought.

When you get to a question and you can narrow it down to 2, take a guess. If you can't, skip it. DON'T WASTE TIME. Keep moving because it's the number correct that matter. when you get to the end of one section, if you pace yourself and keep moving you'll have plenty of time to go back. when you get to the end, take a minute, yes a minute to breathe, and then go back to the exam and start picking off the ones you didn't get the first time.
 

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2003
3,072
46
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by LP1CW
are you getting stuck on a few questions and sacraficing time to try and solve these questions.

Make sure that you are moving on if you can't answer a question. This worked well for me. So, i'd burn through the exam and have about 10 questions that I needed to return to. This left me feeling confident that I could finish up. I then start working on the questions that required more thought.

When you get to a question and you can narrow it down to 2, take a guess. If you can't, skip it. DON'T WASTE TIME. Keep moving because it's the number correct that matter. when you get to the end of one section, if you pace yourself and keep moving you'll have plenty of time to go back. when you get to the end, take a minute, yes a minute to breathe, and then go back to the exam and start picking off the ones you didn't get the first time.

this is what i have been trying to do... works great when i can actually get myself to move on... i hate not answering questions!
 
E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by XCanadianRagwee
Take LSD...

No, try Meth. Its a great habit...

No seriously slow down and relax. No need to drive yourself crazy in the last few weeks and lower your score.
 

ZekeMD

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2003
838
6
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Do the easiest passages first. If you come across a passage that you feel may be hard for you, skip it. Then if you end up guessing, you'll be guessing on questions you may have not known anyway. The only thing you have to be careful of is marking your answer sheet correctly. If you skip a passage, make sure you skip to the correct spot on the answer sheet.
 

MErc44

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2003
515
0
Half way home
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I actually didn't really have a problem finishing the tests, my problem was getting right answers haha. I took princeton review and the physics teacher told me to concentrate on getting right answers as opposed to finishing the test if it comes down to the two. Personally I don't like that advice, I would feel pretty ****ty if I didn't finish a section on the MCAT. However a friend of mine had to guess on the last two or three passages of phys sci and got a better score than me. I think it's too late now but princeton review also told us do all of our homework with a timer, this helped us not waste time on questions.
 

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
1,512
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Eraserhead


No seriously slow down and relax. No need to drive yourself crazy in the last few weeks and lower your score.

Yeah, maybe relaxing is more important. For me, the MCAT was like this mad, stressful rush. Just stay focused and give each question the appropriate amount of time...don't rush.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.