Speeding ticket infraction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I just recieved a speeding ticket for going 39 in a 25. It's an infraction in my state of CA. Will this affect my med school admissions? I have only recieved one other ticket, for not having my headlights on. Wil I have to report these to amcas? I will do driving school for both, to get them cleared from my insurance but I don't know if it will still be on my record. @Goro @gyngyn
@Catalystik
@gonnif

@LizzyM
@WedgeDawg
Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know ur only f*cking around, but UVermont actually asks about those lol

I'm actually very scared man, I've never gotten a speeding ticket before. And i am very worried, because I don't know if I have to report this :( trust me I wouldn't start a post like thjs to troll around like some other people. I really want advise

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will I have to report them to the schools I'm applying to?

Amcas only asks about misdemeanors and felonies. Some individual schools ask about arrests and moving violations. This should have minimal to no impact on your application.just don't make a habit out of it, and accept responsibility for it.

Amcas only asks about misdemeanors and felonies. Some individual schools ask about arrests and moving violations. This should have minimal to no impact on your application.just don't make a habit out of it, and accept responsibility for it.

I have only recieved two infractions, not misdemeanors. One for going 39 mph, 14 mph higher, in a 25 mph zone. And one for traveling without headlights on. These are both infractions

I have only recieved two infractions, not misdemeanors. One for going 39 mph, 14 mph higher, in a 25 mph zone. And one for traveling without headlights on. These are both infractions

In all likelihood, no school will ask you for this information. Even if they do ask for it so as to match what you report with what is on a background check, it is HIGHLY unlikely that these infractions would in any way hurt your chances of being admitted to medical school.

They'll assume you're a speed demon and therefore are cut out for EM. I hear they'll even put you on a fast track to an EM residency.

But seriously nobody will care. As long as it wasn't felony speeding you're fine.

I had two schools ask for speeding tickets. I have 3 of them in 6 years and another moving violation. Got interviews at both schools

In all likelihood, no school will ask you for this information. Even if they do ask for it so as to match what you report with what is on a background check, it is HIGHLY unlikely that these infractions would in any way hurt your chances of being admitted to medical school.

Do minor traffic tickets show up on the background check adcoms use, non misdemeanors? What are you guys looking for in the background check?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol made 2 accounts last yr, just to cash in on the chance to **** wit sdn a yr later.

U playing the long con lmao

Lol made 2 accounts last yr, just to cash in on the chance to **** wit sdn a yr later.

U playing the long con lmao

I'm sorry what do you mean? What's the point in malign two accounts when you can get all your answers with one?

Hey guys,

So I just recieved a speeding ticket for going 39 in a 25. It's an infraction in my state of CA. Will this affect my med school admissions? I have only recieved one other ticket, for not having my headlights on. Wil I have to report these to amcas? I will do driving school for both, to get them cleared from my insurance but I don't know if it will still be on my record. @Goro @gyngyn
@Catalystik
@gonnif

@LizzyM
@WedgeDawg
Thanks for your help

Yes you have to tell them, but no it will have no effect lol

In the year when I was applying, I got ticketed for 6o in a 50, which was kind of the officer, because I was definitely going over 75.

No one cares. I mean, if it had been written up as a misdemeanor, that would have maybe got some notice, but not much.

I think in most states if you go only a certain mph over the limit it's considered an infraction. But if you go like 90 in a 15 that's considered a misdemeanor or felony.

10 over the speed limit in my state is a low class misdemeanor. It's the same for Virginia as well

In all seriousness though which state is that so I remember to avoid.

Tn and Va both have speeding misdemeanors. Even just 5-10 over is a 150-200 dollar fine and a misdemeanor on your record unless you want to spend a Saturday doing driving class (which I've done about 6 times now lol).

Virginia is waaay worse though. $200 is the minimum fine.

Tn and Va both have speeding misdemeanors. Even just 5-10 over is a 150-200 dollar fine and a misdemeanor on your record unless you want to spend a Saturday doing driving class (which I've done about 6 times now lol).

Virginia is waaay worse though. $200 is the minimum fine.

Holy ****. I may have one of those. If that is correct I am ****ed.

Stanford and all of the other medical schools rejected me because I had a parking violation, they totally over looked my 4.0 gpa, 42 MCAT, and the fact I cured cancer while standing on one leg.

Youre totally screwed man.

Holy ****. I may have one of those. If that is correct I am ****ed.

Lol if you if you have one and never paid it, then you may have a warrant out for your arrest.

If you get a speeding ticket, and don't pay it or attend the court date, then they will charge you with failure to appear in court

I don't know what shows up on various background checks but you should be honest in what you report. I suspect that the medical schools hire low level clerks to check your application against the background check and if they don't match then you are flagged just weeks before matriculation. It might not be a big deal but it is better to report and avoid the flag.

I don't know what shows up on various background checks but you should be honest in what you report. I suspect that the medical schools hire low level clerks to check your application against the background check and if they don't match then you are flagged just weeks before matriculation. It might not be a big deal but it is better to report and avoid the flag.
So what if i have a speeding ticket from 7 years ago that I didnt realize was a misdemeanor. I paid it, never went to court, never was arrested. I already submitted my amcas and am only now realizing the possibility of having made an error on it. What should be my action going forward.

Lol if you if you have one and never paid it, then you may have a warrant out for your arrest.

If you get a speeding ticket, and don't pay it or attend the court date, then they will charge you with failure to appear in court

It was - pay this and go away or go to court to fight the ticket which i believe is the norm for all tickets in virginia. Am i screwed if I just paid it.

I have applied to multiple jobs afterwards and it never came up as an issue.

This is scary. Am I a criminal that has a history of misdemeanors?

Last edited:
It was - pay this and go away or go to court to fight the ticket which i believe is the norm for all tickets in virginia. Am i screwed if I just paid it.

I have applied to multiple jobs afterwards and it never came up as an issue.

This is scary. Am I a criminal that has a history of misdemeanors?

lol I really don't know. I would pay to get a background check just to be safe

If it comes up and the school contacts and questions you, just say that you got a ticket, paid the fine and had no idea when you completed the AMCAS that this was an offense that needed to be reported. In all likelihood it won't come up or won't be a big deal if it does.

If it comes up and the school contacts and questions you, just say that you got a ticket, paid the fine and had no idea when you completed the AMCAS that this was an offense that needed to be reported. In all likelihood it won't come up or won't be a big deal if it does.
What gets me is that there was something in my application and I was completely upfront about it and reported it at every chance I got. These will be from 7+ years ago, I wish I had been more through and ordered a CBC prior to submission. Thank you for your advice.

I wish I had been more through and ordered a CBC prior to submission.

Yeah knowing my platelet count really helped calm my nerves before applying :laugh:

I'll be here all day.

I guess tell the schools, and pay the fine if you have one lol it's not a big deal so long as you didn't get a $300 speeding ticket in VA and just ignore it

I checked all my VA tickets, all infractions! Feels Good Man!

I checked all my VA tickets, all infractions! Feels Good Man!
On a recent road trip I pulled over at the NC-Virginia border and had my friend drive because there's no way I'm driving with that state's insane draconian punishments.

On a recent road trip I pulled over at the NC-Virginia border and had my friend drive because there's no way I'm driving with that state's insane draconian punishments.
What is even crazier is that if you abide by the speed limit on the I-95 corridor you will become a traffic hazard, everyone is going atleast 7-15 mph higher than the speed limit.

Reactions: 1 users
What is even crazier is that if you abide by the speed limit on the I-95 corridor you will become a traffic hazard, everyone is going atleast 7-15 mph higher than the speed limit.
It's a catch-22 a ticket!

Have you been on r/premed lol?