Speeding Tickets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_messenger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you still go to DO school if you get a speeding ticket??

Members don't see this ad.

no, you might as well lock yourself away after committing such a sin

:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
just asked a simple question, now you are being mean, and sarcastic... dang man... sarcasim is hard to see when you cannot see someone's body language... ur a jerk

Ahahahah! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This thread is hilarious...

Someone else please acknowledge its hilarity...

That's hillarious... LOL:laugh:

JJ

This is funny.

You can get in, but you should keep yourself out on moral grounds(and leave more room for us):laugh:

my buddy freaked out when he got a ticket becasue he said he'll have more difficulty becoming a firefighter...

Originally posted by DO_messenger

If by "speeding ticket" you mean "felony conviction", and by "DO school" you mean "prison", the answer is yes.

Wrigley

Guys, I've heard that medical schools inspect your PERMANENT record pretty closely. When it comes down between you and the guy without the speeding ticket, who do you think they're going to pick??? :laugh:

But seriously, I wonder what happens with adcoms when it's something more serious but still pretty "understandable" like drunk driving or a bar fight.

Nope, your going to hell young man.

...just how fast were you driving?

raDiOnut :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to put down your speeding tickets on your application, unless it was a felony conviction speeding ticket( going 20 miles over the speed limit or more), so this will have no effect on your record. My buddy had a trespassing conviction at the university and still got accepted. Even if you had an underage drinking or an assault conviction you could still get in hypothetically. The schools really want to see that you have changed since those incidences. So don't worry about little sppeding tickets even if they were felony convictions. Lets face we all speed and no Admins committee is not going to accept you because of a speeding ticket.

You are supposed to report misdemeanors on the application, but this is probably more serious types of midemeanors

A speeding ticket (i.e. moving traffic violations) should never be mentioned on a med. application. They usually tell you this in small print below the question regarding felonies. I am a med. student and also commissioned as a military officer. I had so many tickets that I had to use an additional page for my military application. My license was suspended at one point in my life because of the number of points on my license and the period of time during which I received them. I still got into the military as an officer with this (the military takes this much more seriously that med. schools) My girlfriend is in law school and she has had no problems there (with school or her bar application due to her tickets, though not as numerous as mine.) If the only problem that you have is a ticket you are just fine. Worry about the MCAT. Good luck.

P.S. The last "Fenrez" message was from "Phil", not my man, "Fenrez".

Thank the adcom gods, they didn't look at driving.

If they had chosen based on driving ability, I would never have had a chance. Three speeds,one very stern lecture from a cop who gave me only a speeding ticket when he coulda taken me in for more than doubling the speed on a country road (posted 55 mph). Coolest cop I ever met, he recorded a lower speed, two accidents, and pulled over a ton.

Seriously, though, I think you only have to report felony driving convictions.

**resolves to drive the speed limit until school starts in August, just in case**

I don't think this was a big deal as I have 1 or 2 (or maybe 12) speeding tickets, a couple reckless, and a careless for kicks and giggles. Even got arrested for reckless for rollerblading BEHIND a car (yeah, not driving at all) but lets not talk about that. And 20 over is not a felony. I have had a couple of those and you simply get 4 points, a fine of 2 bills (or more), and a hefty insurance hike. Although speeding tickets hurt your wallet (for a looong time) they shouldn't affect your getting into med school as they are not even mentioned. But for anything more serious, hopefully it was a long time ago and you have grown from it and can convey that to them (or somthing like that).

Rescuerdave,

Are you sure about reporting misdemeanors on your application. I have two buddies in medical school that had drunk driving convictions on their record and they didn't put them on their application. They made it seem like no big deal--a hefty fine and one year of un-supervised probation. If I remember my application from way back I can only remember them asking about felony convictions, which drunk driving offenses in most states are not. That is, unless you hit something/somebody under the influence, in which case I would hope it would be a felony. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew if DWI misdemanors are required on the application, because I have heard statistics that people in the medical field have some of the highest incidences of substance abuse when compared to other career fields. It seems like a lot of doctors would not have become doctors if such offenses were required to be reported on their med school apps.

I must say, in respect to this thread, that I had a 'indecent exposure' charge 8 years ago (I'm 28). :) I know med schools will see it's been 8 years, and that it was before I turned my life around, and that it was a misdemeanor and that it was not drug/violent related. BUT STILL, I am not looking forward to having to explain that one. ;) I was trying to find out if the Carolina schools even ask about things that are not felonies and aren't violent and/or drug related. *sigh*

(For the record, I was doing what we all do in our bedrooms...'cept i was doing it with her in MY TRUCK. Damn cops...)

I am trying to get it expunged too, but still, if the question is "have you EVER been...etc" then I'd have to answer "yes."...even if it's been expunged.

In Michigan we don't bother with sharing speeding ticket info with other states, or vice versa, which (I've found out through repeated experience) means that one doesn't need to pay tickets in other states; insurance and driving privileges are unaffected!

I also discovered during this, er, research project, that some states deal with this interstate quirk by issuing warrants for arrest if the ticket's not paid, regardless of the seriousness of the ticket.

It does seem sort of strange that I should get into med school with a warrant out for my arrest in the state of Georgia (and possibly Florida, though I haven't been back to check), but so it is, so I wouldn't worry about your piddling non-warrant-producing tickets :)

Out-of-state rotations could get tricky though!

I heard that in some states, the southern ones, they will stone you if you get more then 8 points on your driving record!
Seriously man, there are strange people down there. damn those confederates!

Plinko,

The AACOMAS application says list all felonies and misdemeanors. Whether they really check your record at the schools I have no idea. They have your SS#, so technically they could. I think major things someone may want to list. I think the misdemeanor requirement is new because I don't remember seeing it last year. Maybe there trying to crack down on those with DUI(DWI). If a person has change there reckless behavior, whatever that may be or what is considered reckless, I think most commitees would understand kids do dumb crap:p . I am probably not a good person to ask about the seriousness of DUI convictions, I had a dear friend who along with 3 other innocent 17 year olds died because some idiot wanted to get plastered and then drive home. Seriously people should think!! Actions have consequences. Obviously I am passionate on this issue so I can not give an unbiased opinion.

Rdave,

I'm truly very sorry about your friend. I didn't mean to imply that drunk driving was no big deal. Certainly, I think it is. Sadly, I would have to say that just about everybody I know has driven with a BAL over .08 at some point or another, and the difference between those with a conviction and those without one is a somewhat a matter of luck. My friends with the DUI convictions are at allopathic schools so I was wondering what the general standard was. I am a DO student, but in Texas, where we have a separate application from AMCAS and AACOMAS and that does not ask for misdemeanor offenses. I think the number of people in healthcare that actually do have some sort of substance abuse related offense on their record is quite high (relatively speaking), which is why I was curious as to how such obstacles as these offenses played a role in impeding a person seeking out a professional medical degree. If the AACOMAS application is expanding itself to include misdemeanors then it appears the medical community is taking notice of this problem and attempting to resolve it. I think though that this potential resolution only applies at the medical school application level. Once a person is a physician, they have many more means (financial as well as personal connections) to see to it that these offenses do not become a permanent part of their criminal record. My Dad is a doc and I was rather amazed at some of his stories as to how some of his colleagues took care of a DUI not in court, but with their lawyer/county prosecutor friends during a round of eighteen holes at the country club. I guess the mightly dollar will always reign supreme.

Plinko,

No offense taken. I think you right though about schools cracking down on some of these issues. Your definitely right about the mighty dollar always being the most important. Obviously apparent in the OJ Simpson trial.

Just so you guys know...

I most states, simple speeding tickets are not misdemeanors. They are infractions. Infractions are a civil action by the state rather than a criminal one. This is somewhat similar to a building code violation. Of course reckless driving, DUI, etc. are criminal. In many states, your second DUI is a felony.

Check the states where you have been cited to be sure and SLOW THE HELL DOWN. I'm thinking of getting a rocket launcher to shoot the cars that drive down my street going 50 MPH (a posted 25/residential area).

Ed