Speeding ticket misdemeanor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue140

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted and completed the certphi background check application- anxious while waiting for results. It asked if I had any misdemeanors or felonies I checked off no. I just remembered that I received a speeding ticket when I first started driving. It was in north Carolina or south Carolina, I can't recall which one being that its almost 10 years ago. Also I remember the cop saying I'm lucky that I wasn't over the speeding limit that requires a mandatory court appearance. I believe I was just under it.

Does anyone know if this would be considered a misdemeanor in NC or SC and If should call the school and tell them?

Thanks. I know I may be being overly paranoid but I figured doesn't hurt to ask and be certain.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be honest. I would expect this one to be a non-factor honestly. Especially considering how long ago it was.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Speeding tickets are typically a noncriminal violation except in certain circumstances such a going so many miles over the limit, going thru a posted work zone, etc. It is highly unlikely to be of any impact to your application mentioned or not
I believe I went right under the speed limit where they require court appearance.
Does anyone know if speeding is a misdemeanor in NC or SC?

I tried looking this up but I can't find anything about speeding and how much over the limit would it be a misdemeanor in NC or SC.

I believe I went right under the speed limit where they require court appearance.
Does anyone know if speeding is a misdemeanor in NC or SC?

I tried looking this up but I can't find anything about speeding and how much over the limit would it be a misdemeanor in NC or SC.

Might want to pull your criminal record.

A typical speeding ticket is not a misdemeanor. Take a deep breath and relax.

I was recently accepted and completed the certphi background check application- anxious while waiting for results. It asked if I had any misdemeanors or felonies I checked off no. I just remembered that I received a speeding ticket when I first started driving. It was in north Carolina or south Carolina, I can't recall which one being that its almost 10 years ago. Also I remember the cop saying I'm lucky that I wasn't over the speeding limit that requires a mandatory court appearance. I believe I was just under it.

Does anyone know if this would be considered a misdemeanor in NC or SC and If should call the school and tell them?

Thanks. I know I may be being overly paranoid but I figured doesn't hurt to ask and be certain.

I have 2 speeding tickets, each are "misdemeanors" in my state (<10 mph over limit). I listed them on my primary and got accepted to school. They did NOT show up on my background check (different company though). I'm sure your fine. If your worried just mention it to your school. They want to make sure you weren't dealing drugs or robbing liquor stores, your ok.

At least in North Carolina as long as it wasn't >15 mph over posted speed limit or >80mph it's an infraction
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/ncspeed.pdf
It's on the second page down.

If it was South Carolina it's a misdemeanor pretty much no matter what.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/enforce/speedlaws501/toc/scspeed.pdf
Thanks! Would you know if mandatory court appearance is required in south Carolina for going over a certain speed limit? This way I can figure out which state it was as I was a few mph under that limit and wasn't required of going to court. I know NC has manditory court appearance for going 15 mph over the limit. Also my ticket was a little over a $100 . It seems South Carolina doesn't charge that much for speeding.

Also do you think its out of the system by now, this was 9 years ago.

Thanks! Would you know if mandatory court appearance is required in south Carolina for going over a certain speed limit? This way I can figure out which state it was as I was a few mph under that limit and wasn't required of going to court. I know NC has manditory court appearance for going 15 mph over the limit. Also my ticket was a little over a $100 . It seems South Carolina doesn't charge that much for speeding.

Also do you think its out of the system by now, this was 9 years ago.

I would just get a state criminal background check for both NC and SC. Unless you were a juvenile, this stuff never leaves the system, and even for juvenile charges you sometimes (often? always?) have to go through a process to get it sealed. Certainly, a misdemeanor will show up. I am assuming traffic citations would not show up in some checks but would show in others, depending on how thorough it is.

Last edited: