Step II Splenic sequestration vs. Hyperhemolytic crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Having trouble telling these two apart in a question stem.

Both present as precipitously dropping Hgb w/ reticulocytosis in a sickle cell disease patient. I just had a UWorld Q where splenic sequestration presented with splenomegaly, low haptoglobin, and jaundice -- all of which I would also assume in a hyperhemolytic crisis.

All I can think of are the following two points:
-Hyperhemolysis is more likely in older children, as the spleen is probably too auto-infarcted after the first few years of life to sequestrate
-Most hyperhemolytic crises seem to be related to transfusion, according to a quick literature search? Not too sure about this one...

Am I missing anything here, or is that really all there is to reliably tell the two apart?