Splitting Up Shadowing (I Know)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HumanAfterAll

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My recommendation is to consolidate shadowing to give more room for activities in which you've played an active role in contributing to your community, research, awards, hobbies, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It literally doesn’t matter. The people reading your app aren’t going to say “oh! He has an extra shadowing experience listed on AMCAS, let’s give him an interview!” If you need the space for activities, put it as one. Separate them if you want, it won’t make any difference.

Reactions: 1 users
First, please don't quote.

I know it's advised to group shadowing under one activity on the AMCAS app but I have two "traditional" shadowing experiences and one "educational" shadowing experience.

The two traditional ones I plan on listing under one activity as normal. The educational shadowing one is a little different because it was an official program under the volunteer department at the university hospital (the program had ~15 students). I shadowed different attendings and residents, as opposed to just the same doctor. I also got to sit in on teaching presentations residents gave in the mornings, had to do a case report type thing for one case during each shift, and also at the end of each quarter I presented a case I saw to the other students and attendings who sponsor the program. I'll also be listing the volunteer departments contact info since they have the actual proof of my hours, as opposed to the attendings (since they meet so many new students).

So I was wondering if this shadowing experience is different enough from the regular shadowing experience to elicit its own activity slot. I'm leaning towards yes...
Just depends. If you have space and want to elaborate, list as separate. If you don't have space, group them together.

Reactions: 1 user