Sports Medicine 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alabama
- St. Vincent's East

Alaska
Arizona
- University of Arizona - Phoenix
- University of Arizona - Tucson

Arkansas

California
- Stanford O'Connor
- Stanford (PM&R)
- Kaiser LA
- UC Davis (PM&R)

Colorado
- St. Anthony Hospital Program
- U. of Colorado

Connecticut

- University of Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia
- MedStar Health

Florida
- Bayfront Health St. Petersburg
- Halifax Medical Center
- University of Florida
- University of South Alabama/Andrew's Research

Georgia
- Gwinnett Medical Center Program

Hawaii
Idaho

Illinois
- Shirley Ryan Ability Lab/Northwestern (PM&R)
- University of Chicago

Indiana
Iowa
- University of Iowa

Kansas
- University of Kansas
- University of Kansas Wichita

Kentucky
Louisiana
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center

Maine
- Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine

Maryland
Massachusetts
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital

Michigan
- Henry Ford/Wayne State
- University of Michigan
- Detroit Medical Center

Minnesota
Mayo - Rochester (PM&R)
Mississippi

Missouri
Kansas City-Mercy
Wash U (PM&R)
University of Missouri - Kansas City

Montana
Nebraska

Nevada
- UNLV

New Hampshire

New Jersey
- Rutgers
- Atlantic Sports Health / Morristown

New Mexico

New York (first four have October interviews, last two have October and November)
- HSS (PM&R)
- NYP (PM&R)
- NYU (PM&R)
- SUNY Downstate (PM&R)
- Montefiore/Albert Einstein (PM&R)
- Icahn/Mt. Sinai (PM&R)

North Carolina
- Cone Health Program
- Mountain Area Health Education

North Dakota
Ohio
- Case Western
- Children's of Akron (Pedi)
- Cleveland Clinic
- Nationwide Children's Hospital (Pedi)
- Cincinnati Children's

Oklahoma
Oregon

Pennsylvania
- Allegheny Health Network
- Geisinger Health System (Pedi)
- York Hospital Program
- UPMC (PM&R)
- Lehigh Valley
- Crozer Keystone Health System
- Jefferson
- Drexel / Chestnut Hill

Rhode Island
South Carolina
- Prisma Health-Midlands/University of South Carolina

South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
- Christus Health
- John Peter Smith
- McLennan County
- Methodist Hospital Willowbrook
- Texas A&M
- Texas Institute of Graduate Medical Education and Research
- Texas Tech El Paso
- University of Texas HSC Memorial Hermann
- University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Utah
- University of Utah

Vermont
Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University

Washington
- Swedish Medical Center
- University of Washington (PM&R)

West Virginia
Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin

Wyoming

KNOWN REJECTIONS SENT OUT (Unknown Interview Invites)
- Emory
- UCSF
- University of Minnesota
- Harbor-UCLA
- Boston Children's
- Ohio State
- Summa Neomed (Ohio)
- Univ of Toledo
- Vanderbilt

Members don't see this ad.

Any other interviews going out or is this all to expect?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just an FM intern, but there's no way invites are done already right? There's hardly any of the California programs on the list.

I'm just an FM intern, but there's no way invites are done already right? There's hardly any of the California programs on the list.
Some programs don’t respond at all. We’ll never know to be honest. Also, this is a small group of people sharing their information. None of the people I’ve met on the interview trail are using SDN. This isn’t a complete list of interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Some programs don’t respond at all. We’ll never know to be honest. Also, this is a small group of people sharing their information. None of the people I’ve met on the interview trail are using SDN. This isn’t a complete list of interviews.
That's fair, appreciate the response!

That's fair, appreciate the response!
if you're worried about specific programs, you could send them an interest email and they might graciously send you a rejection so you know.

We reviewed a ton of applications and then extended interviews to several people. Our program was done sending invites within a couple weeks of ERAS being open. We then sent out the "thanks but no thanks notifications." We had a couple people cancel on our list which then opened up some last minute interview spots. We then reached out to 2 applicants to offer the very specific spots.

Even though interviews are done for us, there is always a possibility of finding a cancelation that may have opened up. If there is a program you are waiting on, send them an inquiry and you might get lucky. Although, the rank deadline is rapidly approaching and people will be taking vacation for the holidays.

Rank List Deadline - Dec 18th. Go ahead and certify your Rank List now and edit later!

All rank lists are all in. Match could already be calculated. Now the NRMP is just laughing at us all holiday season for purely sadistic reasons. Good luck everyone!
1576775703948.png
1576775686733.png
1576775747403.png
1576775768850.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Looks like sports medicine fellowship has gone very competitive. I did not get a spot with 11 interviews, decent sports medicine clinical and research experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like sports medicine fellowship has gone very competitive. I did not get a spot with 11 interviews, decent sports medicine clinical and research experience.

Sorry man...this year was extremely competitive. I didn't match either. There are still programs open for the scramble...

Just wondering if there is anyone else with more than 10 interviews who didn't match, or I'm the only lucky one?

Just wondering if there is anyone else with more than 10 interviews who didn't match, or I'm the only lucky one?

There are still two unfilled spots (see above). If they are STILL unfilled, they’re waiting for an applicant to call them so they can hand over the position...

Interviewed at 9 places. Ranked them all. Got my 2nd ranked position

Ranked all 6, got my #1

If anyone has information regarding non-accredited sports medicine related fellowships after residency, then please share the information.

If anyone has information regarding non-accredited sports medicine related fellowships after residency, then please share the information.

Just curious...why would u wanna do a non accredited fellowship?

16 interview offers, 8 interviews completed, ranked all 8, matched at my #1 (I also auditioned at my #1 for 2 weeks).

Sports Med is always going to be competitive. It's the best and funnest aspect of medical practice. Imagine getting to watch sports and hangout on the sidelines for the rest of your life, while talking about other sports... its living the dream. I'm sorry to hear you didn't match. I hope you continue to move forward with sports. There is a lot to be said about persistence in medicine. Don't give up on your dream, and just keep finding opportunities wherever they are.

In your guys experience, is Step 1 basically required for match into a SM fellowship? With the craziness of COVID and prometric scheduling I am wondering if I need to plan on studying for and taking usmle in addition to the comlex (which luckily wasnt canceled and i take within a week).
No. I didn’t take either step exam...only COMLEX

we routinely evaluate all applications. We do not favor one board exam over the other. What we really care about is that you passed and show enough commitment to your academics to be competitive. Setting a minimum standard is relative. The exam scores change every year, and all applicants are stratified based on the applicant pool.

We use exams to ensure a basic fund of knowledge. The application goes much deeper than just a score. Ranking on our end is tough due to the lack of objective measures in things like event coverage, LOR's, Deans letters, and personal statements. The best advice I could give someone who is interested in a sports medicine fellowship is to show continuity in your interest and make an effort for the event coverage all the way through residency. We all know intern year is busy and time off is slim but when you are passionate about something, you find a way to make it happen.