Sports Medicine Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnydubbleu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 3rd year student inquiring about sports medicine curriculum at the 9 podiatry schools. I would really appreciate if people could comment:

1. What school do you attend?
2. Do you have sports medicine class?
3. Who teaches it? (DPM, MD, DO?)
4. What is the format/what material is covered?
5. Any other info about it that you want to share/personal opinion

I have mixed feelings about podiatric sports medicine and I would appreciate knowing what is offered at other institutions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Losito teaches the Sports Med course at Barry... he was very good. The course teaching is conversational with PowerPoint, as most classes are. He uses mostly pictures and keywords (for boards, etc) and interacts really well with the class (definitely doesn't just read the slides). He sees patients in one of the school pod clinics and is a good clinician, fun charismatic guy... not a super surgeon (few pod school faculty are), but he knows that and is mainly just there to make good diagnostics, inspire students, inspire patients, etc. You will definitely feel like sports med is an exciting part of podiatry, and that's what he's good at. If you pay attention to the class, you are looking for everything from stress fx in certain female athletes, know how to treat shin splints, know how to communicate well with PTs and write good orders, etc etc. He works with some pro and NCAA sports teams in Miami, is past president of AAPSM, and also has a fellowship slot where the fellow gets to tag along with him or go to some games, do athletic screening clinics, team educations, etc.

The class itself was pretty good. You will (err, should) get a mix of sports med at any school. I'm guessing you didn't go to his course (or school) if you have "mixed feelings" on the subject. It's stuff all podiatrists will see and should know, only possible exceptions are nursing home work or VA with 100% diabetics or something. Almost anybody can get turf toe, ankle sprain, etc... athletes just tend to get them more often and have lower threshold for surgery (since they'll need better performance and activity demand after rehab). Peroneal tendonitis treatment and decision tree is obviosuly much different in the HS star planning to play on a scholarship next year vs peroneal tendonitis on my 55yo obese neighbor. There are basically four components to podiatry: skin/nail, ortho/bone/joint, wound/diabetes, and "soft tissue" (much of that part being tendons/sprains/sports).

The AAPSM handbook is worth getting (I think you get it with membership or it's $25 or so):

Last edited:
I do want to point out, that sports med is an extremely small portion of the podiatric medical school experience, <<1%.

I would say that all schools seem competent in teaching the material, and the podiatry boards are the same for all the schools so the curriculum taught and what you have to know doesn't really change much.