Sports Rehab

Started by Huntrome
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Huntrome

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My career goal is to work in sports rehab clinic or for a college/pro team.

I'm stuck between 2 educational paths that I could take to get where I want to be:

Path 1:

BS in Athletic Training (4 Years)
DPT (3 Years)
Sports Certified Specialist Certification (1 Year Residency or 2000 Sports Rehab Hours)

Path 2:

BS in Athletic Training (4 Years)
PA (2 Years)
*Im sure there is probably another step here but I haven't figured it out yet. Still doing research on it. I'm pretty sure its a certification I need*

Please give your opinion on which is the best option
 
My big reservation here is that it is VERY difficult to get these kind of jobs. From what I've seen, a lot of the people who get them have a true connection to the team/school. Some are former players that went back to school or others have a connection into the jobs. So, that said, consider this that 1% opportunity you would love to get, but 99% chance you will work in another setting. Which of those do you like the best? PT or PA? Many PTs work in ortho outpatient type settings. You would see people with knee, hip and shoulder injuries among other things. PAs are often in general clinics doing family medicine type things though you could also be under an orthopedic surgeon (PAs can do a ton of things....just putting out a few here).

Consider too that a pro team clinic may be run by a MD. (in my college experience, I've seen DPTs as the clinic directors and also Athletic trainers....so you also may be able to stay on the athletic trainer route, get a masters, and have a shot there.)
 
My big reservation here is that it is VERY difficult to get these kind of jobs. From what I've seen, a lot of the people who get them have a true connection to the team/school. Some are former players that went back to school or others have a connection into the jobs. So, that said, consider this that 1% opportunity you would love to get, but 99% chance you will work in another setting. Which of those do you like the best? PT or PA? Many PTs work in ortho outpatient type settings. You would see people with knee, hip and shoulder injuries among other things. PAs are often in general clinics doing family medicine type things though you could also be under an orthopedic surgeon (PAs can do a ton of things....just putting out a few here).

Consider too that a pro team clinic may be run by a MD. (in my college experience, I've seen DPTs as the clinic directors and also Athletic trainers....so you also may be able to stay on the athletic trainer route, get a masters, and have a shot there.)

Thanks, I agree it is hard to get into the pro jobs. On another forum a few people told me to get my undergrad in athletic training and go into DPT. It would combine 2 careers that I want and plus being an athletic trainer in a DPT program will definitely help me with the coursework. I'll have 2 careers in the time it takes to get 1.