Sports Residency

Started by Reganpt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Reganpt

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey can anyone provide me with information for salary/benefits for those accepted into a residency program? I understand it’s a reduced salary for some sites but I’m curious how reduced that is!
 
I can't give any specifics in regards to a sports residency, but I am currently enrolled in an orthopedic residency. In general, your salary will depend on the amount of patient care you give. In my current residency I receive a full salary but I still have 40 hours of patient care on top of mentorship and additional course work. The program is 2 years and there is a approximately $6,000 fee. They pay for the OCS examination if I choose to take it upon completion. Also, I have an actual position with the company and if I stay following completion of the residency, they will pay me back the $6,000 over a two year period as long as I stay.

Other residencies I considered were only 1 year in length with 30 hours of patient care and 3/4 salary with a similar fee. None of these guaranteed any sort of employment following completion. I also saw some residencies that paid more in the range of 50% of a normal salary with a fee and no guaranteed employment, stay very far away from these options.
 
I can't give any specifics in regards to a sports residency, but I am currently enrolled in an orthopedic residency. In general, your salary will depend on the amount of patient care you give. In my current residency I receive a full salary but I still have 40 hours of patient care on top of mentorship and additional course work. The program is 2 years and there is a approximately $6,000 fee. They pay for the OCS examination if I choose to take it upon completion. Also, I have an actual position with the company and if I stay following completion of the residency, they will pay me back the $6,000 over a two year period as long as I stay.

Other residencies I considered were only 1 year in length with 30 hours of patient care and 3/4 salary with a similar fee. None of these guaranteed any sort of employment following completion. I also saw some residencies that paid more in the range of 50% of a normal salary with a fee and no guaranteed employment, stay very far away from these options.
Thanks for all of the information! I appreciate it 🙂 I will keep this in mind!