sports team physician?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pointystar

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I chose to post in this forums because I didn't know what specialty you had to go through. I was interested in becoming a sports team physician, either soccer or football. I have a lot of questions:

What is the competition like? What do my grades have to be to become a team doctor in one of the big soccer leagues in Europe (La liga, ligue 1, serie a)?

What specialty do I have to do? Orthopedics?

What is the pay like?

Are hours just usually game time and practices?

I may have later questions, thanks for taking the time.
 
I chose to post in this forums because I didn't know what specialty you had to go through. I was interested in becoming a sports team physician, either soccer or football. I have a lot of questions:

What is the competition like? What do my grades have to be to become a team doctor in one of the big soccer leagues in Europe (La liga, ligue 1, serie a)?

What specialty do I have to do? Orthopedics?

What is the pay like?

Are hours just usually game time and practices?

I may have later questions, thanks for taking the time.

I imagine that you just go into sports medicine and take it from there.
 
You don't typically get paid for being a team physician. It's usually something these doctors do in addition to their private practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be a team physician in Europe, you probably need to be licensed in Europe. Going to US med school may not be the most direct route to this particular career goal. What continent do you plan on practicing medicine in during the off-season?

I don't really care where I'll be practicing, most of my friends and relatives are in Afghanistan, and I don't plan to practice there.
 
typically physicians for sports teams are surgeons, the one for my university works for the athletic department as well as at the university hospital
 
In my area in NY - we have sports medicine doctors (FM fellowship) who attend professional sporting events. For non-professional, juniors, etc - often we have ER doctors, or just EMS crews.
 
There are a variety of physicians at games, ultimately it's going to depend on how well you can network in addition to being in the right field (sports medicine/orthopedics).
826fIm7.jpg