Can I still be a physician? (serious)

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The other day I didn't pay my train ticket because I bought it before and no one checked. When I was sitting on the train, all of a sudden I hear "TICKETS" I automatically pretended to be asleep but the cop woke me up. He asked for my ID and he took a picture of it and wrote down my info but he said it was only a warning because I am a minor (17 years old). Now I'm worried because why would he take a picture of my ID if he said it was a warning? My mom just brought up what happened and she's freaking out on how I may not get a good job because of a train ticket. I'm currently checking to see if anything has been posted on my public records. Should I even mention this in interviews. I'm scared.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any schools that ask for ticketed offences. Your ticket is on the same level as my speeding tickets and very few schools are going to have an applicant list all of their tickets. I'm pretty sure all ask for felonies and most ask for misdemeanors. Again, not 100% sure but I think AMCAS does not ask for juvenile offences and AACOMAS only asks for misdemeanors and felonies. Even if a school made you list that, you were a minor and forgetting to pay your train ticket is not a big deal (I wouldn't tell them the part about you trying to pretend you were asleep).

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in high school, med schools legitimately do not care what your high school career was like so long as you don't kill anyone or burn anything down (intentionally). One of my friends got suspended multiple times for truancy and almost dropped out of high school. He's now at the top of my class, destroyed his board exams, and can pretty much go into whatever field he wants.

Relax and tell your mom to chill out. Just stay out of trouble and you're fine.

I know someone who shoplifted, was caught, didn't do jail, in high school.

They had their juvenile record expunged and it was fine.

1) Don't do crimes expecting to expunge them
2) If you do crimes (don't get caught!), and get caught, be sure to follow up and expunge
3) If you expunge, double check that it stuck
4) Doublecheck what you then have to report on forms to be law-abiding and honest

If it was a warning I don't think it'll even go on your record. You could try contacting the police department to confirm though

If it was a warning I don't think it'll even go on your record. You could try contacting the police department to confirm though

Oh? You're right. Might want to order a variety of background checks and an FBI check as well, just to make sure that train ticket given by that guy in a uniform who the OP thought was a cop doesn't show up on there.

I had a very similar experience in High School with a train ticket. Cops even wrote me a fine. I'm a doctor now and haven't thought about that fine in over 15 years.