Spouse invited to interview?

spacecadet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my invitation letter from UTH, they said that my spouse was also invited to attend all activities except the actual interview.

I asked him if he wanted to go, and surprisingly, he didn't immediately say no!

My question is: do you think it would be good to bring him along? He'd probably love the tour of the facilities. However, I'm afraid he might be bored. I'm also afraid that I won't socialize enough if he's there. And finally, I'm afraid he'll ask some kind of embarrassing question. He's a smart guy and he won't deliberately do anything to hurt my chances, so that's not really fair - but I still worry about it... I know he wants to talk to the financial aid people.

So, should I bring him? This will be my first interview, so I don't know what it will be like.

Pam

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that allowing anything to happen that could potentially make you nervous is probably not a good thing. Your spouse would probably not affect your chances of admission based on what he would say to anybody at the school. However, it does sound like he may affect your chances by possibly impeding your ability to perform on that day. When in doubt, I tend to go with the less risky option. Just a thought. Good luck.

Unless you are engaged or married I would recommend your sig other to stay home. For reasons which the person above said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am married (7 years now). I guess I didn't say that explicitly. However, I can see your point.

I would say to bring him, especially if he helps calm you down (like my significant other). Plus, since med school will affect him as well, he should get a chance to see the school and surroundings. And obviously, he won't be there to make you nervous on the all important part - the interview.

At the very least, bring him with you to the TOWN (assuming you're leaving your home town). I brought my hubby on every interview trip I had...but left him at the hotel for the actual interview time. For me, having him around beforehand helped to keep me calm, and afterward, upbeat about my chances.

As far as bringing him with you to the school (even if he IS invited) I'd say no. You're interview is about YOU! Whether YOU like the school, and whether THEY like you. If you get an acceptance, there will be plenty of opportunities for your spouse to come with you on tours, socials, etc. Having him there will probably just distract you on an already nerve-wracking day!

Cobragirl,

Thanks for the input. Since we live in Houston (where the interview is), I doubt my hubby would come along for the scenery. :)

Has anyone ever seen a spouse at an interview?

Pam

Originally posted by spacecadet:
•Cobragirl,

Thanks for the input. Since we live in Houston (where the interview is), I doubt my hubby would come along for the scenery. :)

Has anyone ever seen a spouse at an interview?

Pam•

I don't remember spouses at interviews, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.

gosh u pple are so funny

stop being preoccupied about ur spouses...

ur interview day is JUST FOR U

go there and have a good ole time and dont let anything be on ur mind...

I can imagine u being in the interview, and instead of thinking to give a wittty response, ur wondering if ur hubby is running around and doing something silly to embarras u, when in reality ur worrying about it so much, chances are ur not listening, going to give a dumb answer, look bad, get rejected and then blame ur hubby...and place a strain on the marriage....NOW WAS THAT WORTH IT? ;)

wow, with that kind of logic, keep him home :D