How to Be a Helpful Spouse During Residency Application Process

futuredoctor'swife

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am pretty new to SDN, and I figured this would be a good place to ask about residency how-to's. My husband does so much of the research for anything medical school related (obviously, since he's the one in medical school), so he doesn't always convey to me what I could be researching/doing to help him, especially when it comes to residency programs. He's in his third year at SLU, and I know that fourth year will be pretty intensive when it comes to traveling and looking at residency programs.

1. What is the timeline for applying to programs? When is the earliest you can start the application process? When he was in his gap year applying for med schools, he applied later and was wait-listed or not accepted at places. His MCAT scores, GPA, and extracurriculars were great, and others told me it was because he waited too long to apply.

2. Is there a list to look at how he ranks competitively for some programs? Like how medical schools have average MCAT scores listed, are there residency programs that list Step scores or rotation marks?

3.Is there a way to also look at what the costs associated with certain residency programs might be? I want to live in a city that has access to several things: parks, theatres (I perform in my spare time), job opportunities, public transit. However, my husband is worried about the cost of living in comparison to residency programs.

4. What is the timeline for graduating from medical school and then going into residency? How much time would my husband have off before he goes into residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a medical student, but as a wife of a physician I can give you a few things to look up, but really your husband should have access to all this information from his school.
1. Check out this link: https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-residency/applying-residencies-eras/
Also: [Infographic] What You Should Know About ERAS | Student Doctor Network
2. Depends on what he is applying for residency - most programs have minimum step scores, and some specialties are very competitive.
3. It will cost more to live in a big city, like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston. But you probably already know that.
4. Residency starts July 1 but many programs have orientation and that could start in mid June, again, program dependent.

Last edited: