Spouse work at St George or Ross

Started by deleted717271
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted717271

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I've searched for an answer but I'm hoping someone has some experience with this. I am married and my wife has a bachelors in math and minor in education. If we were to move to either school would she be able to find work? Instead of volunteer or other? This decision is what is keeping me from applying to these schools.
 
I remember being told that St. Kitts doesn't have much in the way of work for spouses if they don't work in some kind of trade (electricity, plumbing, etc). I would hazard a guess that Grenada is the same but maybe @jmo1012 could give you a better answer.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a prep school on Ross's campus for children of students and staff/faculty that a few of the significant others of students work at. I'm not sure what kind of qualifications are needed or if there are any openings. Otherwise there really aren't that many opportunities. Some people made jewelry, one girl's boyfriend makes pierogies every other week and sells them to students, some provide doggy daycare during the day, some offer fitness classes, etc. So basically you have to create your own work. They're pretty strict with work visas here and most jobs are given to locals if your significant other and a local were both to apply. But if your wife has a minor in education, it may be worth it to at least bring it up with admissions or whoever is in charge of hiring for the prep school (I'm really sorry, I don't know who it is).
 
i think it's unlikely, although always a possibility. a vast majority of people just volunteer. i suspect her only chance would be in the university had a spot she could fill, but these are very few and far between, as a majority goes to local individuals. it would be next to impossible to work outside of the school, as work permits are extremely chellenging to get
 
Thanks for your help everyone! I've decided to not apply to either of these schools and stay within the states.