Spring 2021 Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksparrow1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I know that there is a lot in limbo at the moment with the pandemic but I took physics I during fall 2020 and physics II during this spring. Will medical schools be accepting of these online courses? I see many for the 2020 fall and spring 2020 but I do not see much for the spring of 2021. I am worried that they will not accept this course for physics II since it is online.

Also, do you think they will continue accepting online pre-requisites into this summer? I need to take an additional English course but they are only offered online this summer where I am.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Due to the pandemic, they might be willing to accept it. Especially if your school didn't offer in-person classes. You would probably have to ask individual medical schools about that.

Also, does your transcript specifically say that it was online? If not, then there is no need to mention it and the med schools will not know. But of course, if you are explicitly asked, I would tell the truth and explain why it was online.

Reactions: 1 user
Due to the pandemic, they might be willing to accept it. Especially if your school didn't offer in-person classes. You would probably have to ask individual medical schools about that.

Also, does your transcript specifically say that it was online? If not, then there is no need to mention it and the med schools will not know. But of course, if you are explicitly asked, I would tell the truth and explain why it was online.
I do not believe that the transcript states if it was online or not but don't a lot of secondaries ask?

My school offered some classes hybrid and others completely remote. All lab sections were online but I chose to do remote learning due to having a pre-existing health condition that I did not want to expose myself to the virus unnecessarily this semester. So my lecture course was actually a hybrid courses but I am doing it remotely.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gonnif I am not sure if you have an answer to this, but you seem to be the most knowledgable when it comes to medical school admissions.

Most schools on the MSAR say they will take 2020-2021 online classes. It's the middle of a pandemic after all. I don't even know any schools that do in person classes so what are they gonna do, not take a bunch of people's classes?

I do not believe that the transcript states if it was online or not but don't a lot of secondaries ask?

My school offered some classes hybrid and others completely remote. All lab sections were online but I chose to do remote learning due to having a pre-existing health condition that I did not want to expose myself to the virus unnecessarily this semester. So my lecture course was actually a hybrid courses but I am doing it remotely.
Since you have a pre-existing health condition (making it basically impossible for you to take in-person classes), I would just write in your application why you took this online. I'm 99% sure medical schools will accept this due to the exigent circumstances.

I'm just saying, it would be pretty silly if medical schools held online classes for the past year+ but then at the same time didn't accept any other institutions' online classes. Heck, I just registered for online physics I and II with labs this summer since it is the only format being offered and I would like to complete them before I start my mcat prep.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not have information to answer this question as it is future speculation for over 150 institutions, however, I will give my opinion. Since applicants take prereqs starting as freshman, it would be impossible for schools to shift in the next year or two with a complete moratorium for online classes. I would imagine that there will be a qualifier for prereq policy at most schools that online classes taken in 2020 and 2021 (possibly longer) will be accepted. Again this is solely my opinion
That makes complete sense, I emailed a few schools to ask what their policies are regarding online courses and they have stated that they are accepting them for the 2020-2021 academic year. So I am likely being paranoid but my stats are not the greatest so I will have to apply broadly to get in and did not want to be backed into a corner since one of my pre-reqs had to be online.