Squeamish with blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Were you squeamish before Med School?

• Yes, but I overcame it in Med School

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, but I overcame it before Med School

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I am squemish and am in Med School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am squeamish and not yet in Med School

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 67.9%

• Total voters

NuckyThompson

Go Bobcats!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been getting better, but I am scared that I wont be able to be a doctor. What can I do to make myself not nauseated an weak when thinking about blood? my fingers get weak and my hands do too, even my feet. I hate this and have been afflicted since youth, but I must overcome, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

In tech school I observed others drop out over this. The reality in actual practice is far different. In the various tech positions I've held and places I've ended up due to happenstance. I feel for any of those people that are not techs today over this and equally feel for people who didn't pursue a career in medicine over this. The path to becoming a surgeon will be tough (gowning up is something I personally hate.... but surgeons are some of the coolest people you'll ever meet).

However I haven't observed most doctors do anything so bloody to the point practice doesn't get you over it. The fact is drawing blood is nothing, bone marrow is no big deal, etc.

My advice consider a position that puts you into contact w/ blood (sort of). Lab Processor, easy gig pay is decent Diploma/Ged is all that's required. Tons of blood, little brain use, you'll get over your fear in no time. Then quit that job and go get a real job that counts as clinical experience :)

Reactions: 1 user
To continue though, what specifically about blood bothers you? What is your worst experience with blood?
Can you look at it logically and see that it's no big deal?

If so then it sounds like you just need some experience w/ blood to get over it.

btw: I'm not expecting you to actually tell me your experiences w/ blood.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, when I learn about something it becomes less gross. For example, I've always thought that any sort of procedure dealing with eyes is gross, but then I learned a bunch of eye anatomy and now it's just another textbook to me. So study up on blood, I mean really think about it, it's just plasma and a bunch of cells that serves as our body's transport system among other things, of course some of that is going to spill out if you puncture the vascular tissue.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe just watch some more "gory" videos involving blood. You'll eventually get desensitized and be like "meh".

Maybe just watch some more "gory" videos involving blood. You'll eventually get desensitized and be like "meh".

Oh this too. Watch like youtube videos of surgery because a.) it's cool and b.) it will totally desensitize you.

i agree w/ @Axes. i personally had an irrational fear of dealing with dead bodies, so i was afraid that i wouldn't be able to deal with the autopsy portion of med school.
then i got a job that required my handling post mortem care and i got over that in no time.
and i know a harvard med physician who told me that she fainted the first couple of times she watched procedures as minor as a thoracentesis procedure. she now handles
gory procedures with the air of one cutting into a birthday cake.

When I was younger (think elementary school), I had a pathologic fear of all instances of vomiting. It seemed to have just disappeared with age. I'm sure there's an explanation in terms of evolution.

Seeing 80+ year old inverted penises with post-op bleeding in the ER has really desensitized me to everything.

Reactions: 3 users
However I haven't observed most doctors do anything so bloody to the point practice doesn't get you over it. The fact is drawing blood is nothing, bone marrow is no big deal, etc...

some people can be desensitized, other can't. Only OP will know if this is going to be an insurmountable problem. We aren't talking about blood draws. There's a reason doctors wear scrubs -- it not about comfort. It's because this is a job where you sometimes get bodily fluids on you, including blood. Sometimes quite a lot. And not just in the OR when you are gowned and booted. Doctors have all had experiences where we had to swap scrubs mid shift because ours got pretty disgusting. I've had experiences where I got scolded because I inadvertently must have been standing in a puddle of blood and then tracked footprints around the ward. It happens. This is a messy job. It either doesn't phase you or you go vasovagal and end up lying on the floor. Many people can desensitize, others can't. I don't think we can usefully advise OP.

some people can be desensitized, other can't. Only OP will know if this is going to be an insurmountable problem. We aren't talking about blood draws. There's a reason doctors wear scrubs -- it not about comfort. It's because this is a job where you sometimes get bodily fluids on you, including blood. Sometimes quite a lot. And not just in the OR when you are gowned and booted. Doctors have all had experiences where we had to swap scrubs mid shift because ours got pretty disgusting. I've had experiences where I got scolded because I inadvertently must have been standing in a puddle of blood and then tracked footprints around the ward. It happens. This is a messy job. It either doesn't phase you or you go vasovagal and end up lying on the floor. Many people can desensitize, others can't. I don't think we can usefully advise OP.

Haha, I was shadowing an ophthalmologist yesterday and we had a kid go vasovagal post-LASIK. Poor guy. Woke him up with smelling salts and ice but it seemed touch and go for a bit.

I've always found that thinking about gruesome things is far, far, worse than actually seeing them.
Sometimes, when thinking or talking about a specific injury, I get wigged out and feel worried that I couldn't handle it in real life. That has yet to happen.
I think part of it is this: when I imagine an injury, I always end up picturing, not what it would look like, but what it would be like to personally suffer that injury. That's a bit much.
When I see a wound, it's something I can be more objective about. It's over there, it's on that person, I can see what needs to be done, and I are too busy doing things to sit there imagining the actual injurious event. Or rather, there is no need to imagine it, because I can frakking see it. That's not to say that I lose all ability to empathize with the person over how it must hurt, but I am able to separate myself from it.

This is just me, of course. I don't know how others react. But I'm better off witnessing an injury than reading about it. :shrug:

Haha, I was shadowing an ophthalmologist yesterday and we had a kid go vasovagal post-LASIK. Poor guy. Woke him up with smelling salts and ice but it seemed touch and go for a bit.
Really, 'touch and go'?
Must've been one hell of a LASIK procedure :laugh: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always found that thinking about gruesome things is far, far, worse than actually seeing them.
Sometimes, when thinking or talking about a specific injury, I get wigged out and feel worried that I couldn't handle it in real life. That has yet to happen.
I think part of it is this: when I imagine an injury, I always end up picturing, not what it would look like, but what it would be like to personally suffer that injury. That's a bit much.
When I see a wound, it's something I can be more objective about. It's over there, it's on that person, I can see what needs to be done, and I are too busy doing things to sit there imagining the actual injurious event. Or rather, there is no need to imagine it, because I can frakking see it. That's not to say that I lose all ability to empathize with the person over how it must hurt, but I am able to separate myself from it.

This is just me, of course. I don't know how others react. But I'm better off witnessing an injury than reading about it. :shrug:
Hardest thing for me has always been being involved in pain-inflicting procedures or witnessing providers inflicting pain upon patients, because empathy. I was there watching a resident do his first spinal tap, and he missed over and over again and I just about threw up when the patient experienced some shooting pain, ugh.

As to the op, once you realize how hardly infectious blood is absent you having an exposed open wound, you will probably get over it. Sputum and feces are far, far more disgusting than blood to me nowadays, blood is so meh.

Reactions: 4 users

That's fair. However you don't think a job like lab processor is a good place to find out? The bring in tubes of blood, collected by others, spin them down, separate into plasma/serum, whatever needs done and hand them off to the lab techs. That is a decent amount of contact with blood. If they can get past that, then over time even larger amounts/situations should be possible.

Just my idea :)

Hardest thing for me has always been being involved in pain-inflicting procedures or witnessing providers inflicting pain upon patients, because empathy. I was there watching a resident do his first spinal tap, and he missed over and over again and I just about threw up when the patient experienced some shooting pain, ugh.

As to the op, once you realize how hardly infectious blood is absent you having an exposed open wound, you will probably get over it. Sputum and feces are far, far more disgusting than blood to me nowadays, blood is so meh.
Somehow that doesn't usually bother me. I'm generally OK with needles and lacerations, though, even when I'm on the receiving end...so even when I picture feeling those myself, it doesn't make me uncomfortable.
I mostly don't like ortho injuries or large area skin things (road rash, degloving, etc).

That's fair. However you don't think a job like lab processor is a good place to find out? The bring in tubes of blood, collected by others, spin them down, separate into plasma/serum, whatever needs done and hand them off to the lab techs. That is a decent amount of contact with blood. If they can get past that, then over time even larger amounts/situations should be possible.

Just my idea :)
That's so decontextualized; it's just liquid in a tube at that point :shrug:

Somehow that doesn't usually bother me. I'm generally OK with needles and lacerations, though, even when I'm on the receiving end...so even when I picture feeling those myself, it doesn't make me uncomfortable.
I mostly don't like ortho injuries or large area skin things (road rash, degloving, etc).
For me, it's spine, ortho, degloving, burns, and eyes. Other than that, most things don't bug me. Spinal taps though- ugh, you're literally stabbing a person in the nerve if you screw up, and that skeeves me out.

That's so decontextualized; it's just liquid in a tube at that point :shrug:
Yeah, but it's a start. Then when the blood comes out of a person it's the same thing (minus any additives in the tube).

I don't know maybe it's the context for OP and the patient making sounds more so than the actual blood.

For me, it's spine, ortho, degloving, burns, and eyes. Other than that, most things don't bug me. Spinal taps though- ugh, you're literally stabbing a person in the nerve if you screw up, and that skeeves me out.

I feel most spinal taps are done to rule out. I rarely see anything in there, they always seem to be ordered in large quantities by the newer doctors, and why in gods' name do you want an RBC count when it's visibly clear (easy for me to do, I'm assuming a useless result for the doctor).

I feel most spinal taps are done to rule out. I rarely see anything in there, they always seem to be ordered in large quantities by the newer doctors, and why in gods' name do you want an RBC count when it's visibly clear (easy for me to do, I'm assuming a useless result for the doctor).
Re: RBC count...cuz it adds no work but gives official documentation that they checked that parameter. Charting is fun.

To be honest, blood-n-guts used to gross me out before I decided to go pre-med. I wasn't sure I'd be able to handle it either, but after I watched my first surgery in the OR, everyone else's nonchalance was just infectious, I guess. None of the docs or nurses seemed to mind the blood, so so I kinda absorbed that attitude from the room.

I don't know - maybe she actually a has a phobia of blood... So why exactly do you want to be a doctor? Just wondering - Ofc there are plenty of fields that do not require you to deal with blood.

I hate spiders - no amount of experience can desensitize me to that. I could not imagine my self doing anything with relates to spiders (I like to camp but I usually don't go in fear of sleeping on the ground and a spider comes in) :/

... and why in gods' name do you want an RBC count when it's visibly clear (easy for me to do, I'm assuming a useless result for the doctor).

If you eg clinically suspect a subarachnoid bleed based on the history, but the head CT is negative, the next test in the algorithm is generally an LP. The quantity of RBCs, even if not frank blood in the tap, may be relevant. The tube can have a fair number of RBCs and still look "clear" due to dilution. So no, I don't think its a useless test. And knowing theres no evidence of a head bleed ends up being extremely important if for example the guy also has a need for an anticoagulation medication.

Completely agreed. I gag a little bit at the long rope of mucus when the anesthesiologist removes an LMA.

For OP - is there any specific event that makes you worried about blood? A traumatic event? Or does thinking about it as an infectious agent scare you? There have been some good suggestions in this thread for overcoming the problem, but it will depend on what the underlying cause for your reaction to blood is.

I think this sort of thing can be overcome, and if you can mitigate it to any degree it likely won't kill your chances. However, realize that you're going to see it because medical training rotates you through many specialties (including the ones that deal with blood), so even if you pick a specialty with less exposure to bodily fluids, you're still going to have to learn to cope with it along the way.

If you eg clinically suspect a subarachnoid bleed based on the history, but the head CT is negative, the next test in the algorithm is generally an LP. The quantity of RBCs, even if not frank blood in the tap, may be relevant. The tube can have a fair number of RBCs and still look "clear" due to dilution. So no, I don't think its a useless test. And knowing theres no evidence of a head bleed ends up being extremely important if for example the guy also has a need for an anticoagulation medication.
To differentiate between a traumatic tap and a subarachnoid hemorrhage an rbc count is ordered on Tube 1 & 3(generally). Also, there is something rare relating to bacteria that can call for this (based on my foggy memory on that).
Yes, I'm aware RBC's can be there when it's clear, I'm the poor sap who gets that result / thumbs hurting.

So, if "a" rbc count is ordered in my mind it's questionable. Especially since I know the doctor is ruling something else out ( meningitis or etc) and a nurse or scribe ordered it just in case (actually a ton of extra stuff gets ordered this). Or with the younger docs the scribe/nurse doing the ordering, "Hey this is an option too wanna order it?"

So, it's no big deal, time wise, but I question the point of ordering it.

Last edited:
To continue though, what specifically about blood bothers you? What is your worst experience with blood?
Can you look at it logically and see that it's no big deal?

If so then it sounds like you just need some experience w/ blood to get over it.

btw: I'm not expecting you to actually tell me your experiences w/ blood.
Its just the bleeding part itself, losing the blood. I can look at blood vials just fine, and same with bags. and thinking of the blood in my veins (but only sometimes).

I am getting significantly better though, when I was 14, for example, I would absolutely pass out. but now at the age of 19, I witnessed my mother getting a blood draw and it didnt phase me. Its like a random thing kinda.

Completely agreed. I gag a little bit at the long rope of mucus when the anesthesiologist removes an LMA.

For OP - is there any specific event that makes you worried about blood? A traumatic event? Or does thinking about it as an infectious agent scare you? There have been some good suggestions in this thread for overcoming the problem, but it will depend on what the underlying cause for your reaction to blood is.

I think this sort of thing can be overcome, and if you can mitigate it to any degree it likely won't kill your chances. However, realize that you're going to see it because medical training rotates you through many specialties (including the ones that deal with blood), so even if you pick a specialty with less exposure to bodily fluids, you're still going to have to learn to cope with it along the way.
I think its the feeling of losing blood supply, like the weakening that freaks me out.

I think its the feeling of losing blood supply, like the weakening that freaks me out.
From blood draws?
Maybe accompany a friend to the blood drive a few times to get used to it. I've been donating since I was 16, 5x in the past year, and I never so much as get lightheaded from a pint (and I'm a small person). Seeing healthy people who are used to it going through a larger volume unphased might be a reasonably gentle acclimation?

That's interesting - I haven't heard of that as a reason for feeling squeamish with blood. Are these conscious thoughts when you see blood, or is it something going on in the background that manifests as feeling sick?

You'll have to take what we say with a grain of salt, as this is something a psychologist would likely be able to do a better job helping you with (their training focuses more on how to address certain mental reactions and their causes). None of us are professionals with this sort of thing, so none of what's being suggested is guaranteed to work. There are things I think I might try if it were me, but I'm hesitant to give a lot of advice on something that can be so different from person to person.

Because the RBC count of the final tube and percent change in RBC count from first to last tube modifies the likelihood ratio that my patient has a subarachnoid hemorrhage...sometimes.

Damn I thought I was the only one like this. That's the biggest reason I get wigged out over blood draws.

I have a tendency to go vasovagal, but I can get over it by exposure. The first time I saw someone putting in a Foley I fainted. The 10th time I couldn't care less. So yeah I strongly support youtube videos and see if it's something that gets better the more you are exposed to it

Again, you'll have to decide if this is insurmountable. It's really not uncommon, as a med student or intern, to be asked to look at a post procedure patient and check his wound, to see if it's bleeding/oozing, maybe needs another stitch. There will be times when a nurse calls and says she thinks a Patient is bleeding onto his sheets and you'll go to the room and help roll the patient and look. Or you'll be told that a patient is coughing up or vomiting or pooping or peeing blood and you'll be expected to go look -- you don't get to call someone and tell them "the nurse said ...". And often it's actually quite a lot of blood -- puddles, frank bleeding. You may get it on your shoes, socks, scrubs. We aren't talking about a few cc in a syringe during a Blood draw. And none of this is OR stuff -- it's up in the patients room. Or a patient is coding and while you are doing chest compressions people are trying to put in lines and blood is splattering all over. This is what you need to wrap your mind around -- it's sometimes a messy job. You will get bloody, literally, during med school and residency. After that you might be able to pick fields where it's more limited -- but if you can make it that far you won't really have to.

OP- I didn't see this answered, and I apologize if I missed it- have you done any clinical work in a hospital? How far are you into pre-med? Given your fears, I feel you should start your exposure early to see if this is something that can be desensitized, because like many have said, some just cannot, and that's okay- it's not a flaw or a failure.

And ditto to what others have said about poo- I LOVE the smell of C Diff in the morning :)

Degloving is one of the hardest things to see- my worst was Nec Fasc- it literally ate his whole back- you could see all muscles/ribs- but then this sadness kicked in bc I realized he wouldn't be on ICU much longer. Just hard to watch and disturbing at the same time.

I get squeamish over 2 things:
1) drills/chisels in ortho/dentistry
2) being SNEEZED ON. So nastay!

Because the RBC count of the final tube and percent change in RBC count from first to last tube modifies the likelihood ratio that my patient has a subarachnoid hemorrhage...sometimes.

I should've clarified I was referring to when one RBC count is ordered. Larger hospitals just automatically give you both results, smaller hospitals a person has to order it specifically. That's all I was saying