blacking out b/cause of blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miles204278

Reaction score
Vasovagal syncope runs in my family and i want to be a doctor, yesterday i blacked out for the first time from it because i was having my blood drawn. I've been around blood a lot but never blacked out from someone else's, would i still be able to become a doctor or would it impede my chances.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Vasovagal syncope runs in my family and i want to be a doctor, yesterday i blacked out for the first time from it because i was having my blood drawn. I've been around blood a lot but never blacked out from someone else's, would i still be able to become a doctor or would it impede my chances.

thanks
I think that you can still be a good physician even with Vasovagal syncope. I heard of some people say that they built a tolerance to it overtime and others say that they end up doing fields where blood is not exposed to them like Psychiatry and Radiology. But yeah, I think that you're still good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will get used to it. I passed out in high school observing oral surgery and got over it pretty quickly in med school. My wife got over it pretty quickly too. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users

thanks
I was the same way until I became a PCA. I almost blacked out every time I got my blood drawn and had to do laps around the unit the first couple times I drew other people's blood so I wouldn't pass out. It got easier until I didn't have a reaction to seeing blood anymore. Saw alot worse than that in the hospital after that and was fine. You can condition yourself with enough exposure.

Reactions: 1 user