blacking out b/cause of blood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Miles204278

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vasovagal syncope runs in my family and i want to be a doctor, yesterday i blacked out for the first time from it because i was having my blood drawn. I've been around blood a lot but never blacked out from someone else's, would i still be able to become a doctor or would it impede my chances.

thanks
 
Vasovagal syncope runs in my family and i want to be a doctor, yesterday i blacked out for the first time from it because i was having my blood drawn. I've been around blood a lot but never blacked out from someone else's, would i still be able to become a doctor or would it impede my chances.

thanks
I think that you can still be a good physician even with Vasovagal syncope. I heard of some people say that they built a tolerance to it overtime and others say that they end up doing fields where blood is not exposed to them like Psychiatry and Radiology. But yeah, I think that you're still good to go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Vasovagal syncope runs in my family and i want to be a doctor, yesterday i blacked out for the first time from it because i was having my blood drawn. I've been around blood a lot but never blacked out from someone else's, would i still be able to become a doctor or would it impede my chances.

thanks
I was the same way until I became a PCA. I almost blacked out every time I got my blood drawn and had to do laps around the unit the first couple times I drew other people's blood so I wouldn't pass out. It got easier until I didn't have a reaction to seeing blood anymore. Saw alot worse than that in the hospital after that and was fine. You can condition yourself with enough exposure.