Program-Specific Info / Q's St. Augustine MOT - Spring Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlcot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if anyone else was applying for the June Deadline for any of the St. Augustine Campuses. Stats?:)

Major: B.S. Psychology, Concentration Health Studies; Minor Public Health
Overall/Undergraduate GPA: still finishing but around a 3.25
Pre-Req GPA: 3.35
GRE: Verbal (147) Quantitative (150) Writing (4.0)

Shadowing: (136.5 hours - 4 settings)
25 hours- Pediatrics
31.5 hours- Hand Therapy (hospital)
80 hours -(in progress and will finish before I apply) - 2 separate nursing facilities

Extra-Curric: Division I Athlete - 2 year captain, Interned at a non-profit organization, Autism Society, Colleges Against Cancer, Volunteer at Hospital for 2 summers

Certified: Adult and Child First Aid/CPR/AED

LORs: Occupational Therapist, Academic Advisor, and Intern Supervisor

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am applying for the Spring 2019 Start at the Miami Campus, which campus are you applying to? I heard the Miami campus doesn't get as many apps because they are still under accreditation, but they should be accredited by March 2019. I will probably take my GRE over, and I was also wondering about the interview process for anyone who has already applied?

These are my stats:

Major: Interdisciplinary Studies
Minor: Psychology
Overall/Undergraduate GPA: 3.08
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.67
Pre-Req GPA: 3.7
GRE: Verbal 149 Quantitative 142 writing (291) writing 3.0 not great :(

75 shadowing hours so far... still have some to finish (40 in progress)
60 School
5 Hand Therapy
15 Rehabilitation Center (Manor Care)

53 Volunteer hours at Jacob's Ladder Rehabilitation Center (didn't work with an OT though)
Extra Curriculum Activities

Study Abroad- India (2 weeks), Nicaragua Public Health Brigade (1 Week)
Student Ambassador

Work Experience
Pre-School Teacher/ Teacher Assistant (5 years)
Community Hospital (Currently)

I didn't know that Miami hasn't been accredited, but it'll be fine since all of their other programs do. I'm still working on asking for LOR and my personal essay since I know it has to be good. I'll probably retake the GRE as well (i want to get in the 300 range), which is unfortunate. Hopefully it'll all we worth it. I'm applying to Austin, TX, because it makes the most sense location wise for me... many people seem to get in if they get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I am applying for spring but still deciding on location. I was set on applying to San Marcos campus as I am living in CA already until admissions made a mistake for the fall applicants and sent out too many acceptances, then to fix the error they offered them admission for spring 2019, so now there are only 20 seats left to fill at that campus. Now I am wondering if I should apply to Austin or Miami. I would like Miami for the location but also am worried since they are not accredited.

here are my stats btw

Major: Psychology

Cumulative GPA: 3.09
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.45
Pre Req GPA: 3.6-3.7
GRE: 144V, 149Q, 4.0 Writing

Volunteer:
44 SNF
30 Hand therapy
3 Pediatrics Social Skills Group
30 Pediatrics – specialization feeding therapy (on going)
401 Paid Job at Pediatric OT Clinic as an instructor leading groups of kids in fine and gross motor skills program
8 Pediatric OT mentorship, program is ran outdoors, called Outdoor kids OT (on going)

TOTAL: 514 hours

LORS: OT I worked with at the Peds clinic, Physiology professor
Job: Registered Behavior Technician for kids on the Autism Spectrum 1.5 years

Extra:

CPR Certified , RBT Certification

Autism Speaks Walk 2017

I think you have such great experiences and many different settings, so that'll definitely put you ahead of everyone else!! Honestly, I wouldn't be so worried about it Miami since it is such a new campus and St. Augustine hasn't had a problem between their other campuses as far as being accredited. It might even work to your advantage since there could potentially be less applicants at that campus.

I think you have such great experiences and many different settings, so that'll definitely put you ahead of everyone else!! Honestly, I wouldn't be so worried about it Miami since it is such a new campus and St. Augustine hasn't had a problem between their other campuses as far as being accredited. It might even work to your advantage since there could potentially be less applicants at that campus.

Thank you! Yeah I’m conflicted between the two I’ve heard Austin is really cool. I don’t know much about either state. I’m just waiting to hear back from Erin and then I’m going to submit my application. Decisions decisions

That's honestly why I picked Austin, because my boyfriend will be relatively close by and I heard the city is awesome. So that's why I came to the decision between the campuses. Let me know what you end up doing!

That's honestly why I picked Austin, because my boyfriend will be relatively close by and I heard the city is awesome. So that's why I came to the decision between the campuses. Let me know what you end up doing!

25 Things You Should Know Before Moving to Austin

This article is pretty convincing that it’s a great city ! Haha a girl I volunteer with is applying to the Austin campus for the PT program so that also makes me feel like if we both got in that’s a potential roommate for me. I’m definitely leaning more towards Austin. When are you submitting your app?

I'm done with my resume, personal statement, GRE.... I'm waiting till I'm finished with school to submit my transcripts (i graduate in a week) and also after graduation I'm shadowing as much as I can in 2 settings before the application is due to increase my chances. So I have mostly everything done, however I'm going to wait till the application deadline closes. Also my letter of recommendations come from: an OT, academic advisor, and internship coordinator...... I'm nervous my advisor won't count, because on the website it said you can substitute an OT recommendation for an academic advisor/instructor... but on the actual application it only has a scroll down option for instructor?

That's so awesome hahaha that would be great! I hope we get interviews there:)

I'm done with my resume, personal statement, GRE.... I'm waiting till I'm finished with school to submit my transcripts (i graduate in a week) and also after graduation I'm shadowing as much as I can in 2 settings before the application is due to increase my chances. So I have mostly everything done, however I'm going to wait till the application deadline closes. Also my letter of recommendations come from: an OT, academic advisor, and internship coordinator...... I'm nervous my advisor won't count, because on the website it said you can substitute an OT recommendation for an academic advisor/instructor... but on the actual application it only has a scroll down option for instructor?

That's so awesome hahaha that would be great! I hope we get interviews there:)

That’s a good plan! Hmm email the admissions advisor to see why there is only a drop down for an instructor LOR rather than an academic advisor. However they only require 2 LOrs so your application would be complete even without the third one. I have one from an OT and one from my physio professor and that’s all I need.

I hope we get interviews too! :)

My application has officially been submitted for the Austin, TX campus :)

Lucky I'm so jealous... one more month. I'm so close too hahaha. Good luck!!! That's such a huge relief let me know if you get an interview and what date (fingers crossed!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lucky I'm so jealous... one more month. I'm so close too hahaha. Good luck!!! That's such a huge relief let me know if you get an interview and what date (fingers crossed!!!)

Thanks!! I’ll definriely let you know!

Do you live in TX?

No I'm actually from Virginia and went to school in North Carolina... but my boyfriend will be moving 3 hours away from Austin and I wanted a change and live in a fun city so it ended up working great to apply there!

No I'm actually from Virginia and went to school in North Carolina... but my boyfriend will be moving 3 hours away from Austin and I wanted a change and live in a fun city so it ended up working great to apply there!

Oh ok nice!! Hopefully we interview the same day !

Hey I got an email today that I’ve been selected to come and interview at the Texas campus

Hey I got an email today that I’ve been selected to come and interview at the Texas campus
OMG hahaha wow that’s awesome!!! I’m submitting mine Thursday. That was really fast!

I received my acceptance to the austin campus today!! :)

That’s amazing!!! Good job!!!!! Duh a great relief! I think since I applied the last day they were waiting to see who they’d except during your round of interviews. So I unfortunately have been told nothing. I’m kind of frustrated and wish I would’ve sent my application in a little earlier.

That’s amazing!!! Good job!!!!! Duh a great relief! I think since I applied the last day they were waiting to see who they’d except during your round of interviews. So I unfortunately have been told nothing. I’m kind of frustrated and wish I would’ve sent my application in a little earlier.

Yeah my friend did the same thing as you but for the PT program and she hasn’t heard back yet either but was thinking the same thing as you, hope you hear from them next week!

Yeah my friend did the same thing as you but for the PT program and she hasn’t heard back yet either but was thinking the same thing as you, hope you hear from them next week!
Okay that’s a little bit of a relief to hear! I’m glad I’m not the only one hahaha. How many people were at your interview date

Okay that’s a little bit of a relief to hear! I’m glad I’m not the only one hahaha. How many people were at your interview date

There were a lot because it was PT, MOT and OTD. It seemed around 15-20 people were there for the MOT

There is a Facebook group for USA Austin Spring 2019 class for anyone who has been accepted!

Search : University of St. Augustine, Austin OT Spring 2019

I got an interview 9/20!!

Hey guys! Congrats to those who got interviews and acceptance!
I just wanted to ask, the earliest deadline I see on OTCAS is 8.15, where did you guys see the June deadlines?

Hey guys! Congrats to those who got interviews and acceptance!
I just wanted to ask, the earliest deadline I see on OTCAS is 8.15, where did you guys see the June deadlines?
It’s on the website. So they have 3 different deadlines: Summer Start 9/1, Fall Start 10/15, and Winter Start was 6/15 for us.... but on the website they said they extended the deadline so they are technically still accepting people. I hope this helped

What was the interview like in Austin? Im applying there for fall 2019.

I’ll PM you
It wouldn't let me pm you so basically you walk in get a folder, picture taken, and a name tag. Then you sit in a room and get lectured about the school and financial aid and stuff like that. We also talked with current students and asked questions. Then we went on tour for an hour. And when we got back we had a little break and then got into groups of 3 for our interviews. I think they pretty much keep it the same questions. So they have you tell them about yourself, what brought you to OT, and why USA? How do you deal with stress and time management? Then they asked each one of us 3 different situational questions. I only remember 2 of them..... you're in field work and your supervisor yells at you across the room that you are doing something wrong. And another was if you were doing a group project and one person didn't pull their weight how would you handle it? So overall lasted 9-1. The interview was very very relaxed as well and they wanted to keep it light. If you have any other questions let me know

Reactions: 2 users