St. Barnabas D.O. Radiology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

i was just wondering if anyone knows much about this program. i don't know much about the DO radiology programs in general. are residents happy? what are the hours like? how many days off a month? how's living in the Bronx? is training adequate? can graduates go into fellowships? any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed that too. I asked one of the deans at my school a while ago about it and he said it was still there. So im not sure, bad news travels slow though i think. Your best bet is to call and ask. I'd be interested to know, even though i dont plan on applying there.

Members don't see this ad :)
the AOCR website lists 14 programs. the AOA match says that there were 11 programs in the match this year. i don't think St Barnabas is the only 1 that no longer exists...

I interviewed at St Barnabas. I didnt like the hospital or the location. The Bronx is old and worn down. The hospital was really old and run down. There are some NYCOM students that rotate through, so they would be the ones with the most information about this radiology program. I thought the residents were nice enough, but I had allopathic interviews and couldn't see myself living in the Bronx and working in that hospital for five years. Don't get me wrong, some of the attendings were nice people, the interventionalist I met was real cool, but there were some that seemed like they wanted nothing to do with any resident. The intern year there is killer from what I heard from the residents during my interview.
Surprisingly St Barnabas was the only DO program this year to not fill, they had two spots left.
The residents seemed to be happy and friendly. I do know that the program chair tries to get all the residents to do fellowship training. The chief resident that I met was going to do interventional, if I recall correctly, at a NYC hospital. St Barnabas does have connections with some of the NYC programs so the graduates go on to some nice fellowships in the city afterwards if that interests you.

Thanks for the info. I had just assumed that the program was cut since i could not find any information about it. is there ANY website out there that gives information about the program?

beware of this program, there is a reason why it didn't fill. when i was there, the residents were depressed (the one i met) and hated the bronx. the faculty could care less about the residents and there is absolutely no teaching. i was extremely dissapointed and would not be suprised if the program is cut in the future.
i would strongly advise potential applicants to beware of this program.

peter jones watchout

thanks for the warning rigby (i assume that "Peter Jones" was referring to me, but that is not my name). don't worry, i have absolutely no intention of ranking any program in NYC. you could not pay me enough to live there. but if the program is still around, that means more openings for the competition to go to, right ;)