St. Barnabas Rotation Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDoc1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if St. Barnabas in the Bronx provides any sort of student housing while on electives? I have tried called them but nobody ever answers the phone.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What number are you calling? There is no offical housing for the hospital, most students go on craigs list or any other site and sublet for the month or whatever.

What number are you calling? There is no offical housing for the hospital, most students go on craigs list or any other site and sublet for the month or whatever.

What she said. That's why I decided not to rotate there. Plus, I don't want to be in NY anyway. I've called around, personal consensus: majority of northeastern programs don't provide housing except for Lancaster (PCOM affiliate hospital - real small).

The hospital usually provides a list of recommended private and motel housing.

I am a PCOM student. We get a house on arthur ave to live in.

Does anyone know if St. Barnabas in the Bronx provides any sort of student housing while on electives? I have tried called them but nobody ever answers the phone.

Do yourself a favor and don't do an elective there. That hospital is an absolute disaster.

Yes please do.... i LOVE that place. It's not perfect by any means. The patient population is VERY sick, mostly the under served, and its in a bad area...but in my opinion that is where you learn the most. I've seen things that other people only read about in books. The nursing staff, for the most part sucks, but whatever...im not there to have friends, and if i need to put my own lines in, good its more practice for me. I did my entire 3rd year there, and of course there are ups and downs of the place (and its not for everyone), but for the most part i think i learned A LOT and had fun.

I will also be there for residency, first choice EM, and cannot wait to start!

I'd also like to know what people don't like about it. I have only had interaction with their ED (I worked for Fordham EMS) but I absolutely love the doctors there and I would agree that Barnabas certainly does get a bit of everything.

DrRegina, congratulations, that's awesome!! I am only an OMSI, but I am really leaning towards EM, and I would love to (eventually!) make it back to Barnabas for residency. Do you have any hospital-specific advice? I am not sure I will be able to be there for many rotations, but I really want to do at least my EM rotation there. Would you recommend any others? / Do you think it would even help to rotate there in another area if I can't do EM there?

To the OP -- depending on when you're doing your rotation, you could look into sub-letting from a Fordham student if you will be there over Christmas or in the summer. The rent isn't terrible for an urban area, and most of the college students would love to make a few bucks by renting out their place. I know of a few that let med students live there for $200/month last summer, just so that they could make up for some of their rent. It may not be the best option, but it's probably cheaper than a hotel (plus, most of the Fordham Road area hotels aren't the nicest!:laugh:)

Yes please do.... i LOVE that place. It's not perfect by any means. The patient population is VERY sick, mostly the under served, and its in a bad area...but in my opinion that is where you learn the most. I've seen things that other people only read about in books. The nursing staff, for the most part sucks, but whatever...im not there to have friends, and if i need to put my own lines in, good its more practice for me. I did my entire 3rd year there, and of course there are ups and downs of the place (and its not for everyone), but for the most part i think i learned A LOT and had fun.

Wow.....I give you credit. I hate that place. The doctors were so nasty, nursing was terrible, and the patient population was just downright terrible.

I would rather scramble than work at that hospital.

I really came on here to say that a lot of NE places actually do offer housing (all the one's in PA I have rotated at did at least (Geisinger, LVH, ect)) but I saw this so I had to comment: my biggest problem with this place is the lack of nursing support. Poor nurses makes the work harder which makes it easier for you to miss little things if you are too busy trying to push drugs, transport patients and start lines. This is why we work as a health care team. More power to you but that erased it from my rank list. That and the poor attitude of some of the residents during the interview (generally when a second year resident tells you NOT to go somewhere because it "sucks" and he "hates it" you listen).

Just my opinion though.