St George's deadlines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugbyMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone knows what's going on with admissions at St. George. I haven't sent my application in yet, but I am considering. The application deadline is June 15th, but it's rolling admissions so does anyone know if the class is starting to fill up? Is it worth my time sending my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Classes usually fill up around mid-May if this year follows the trend. I was accepted into the Aug class last year and only applied in mid-May once I knew I wasn't getting off any waitlist...again... (though I had everything overnighted to the admissions office once I knew I was applying).

So give it a shot but that stuff in quickly. I had to organize transcripts from schools in different states and had to set up a FedEx account # and give that # to the registrars so they could overnight my stuff for me. Both schools were very helpful with this.

Besides, if the fall class is full they'll just roll your application over to the January class. You'll get a letter stating that you'll be considered for both classes, everyone gets it this late in the game.

Good school but very expensive.

Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys but it's probably still a little bit cheaper than Ireland where I am currently applying to. Not cheaper than Canada where I am hoping to get accepted. I figure I should keep my options open. Do you think I'll be okay if I send all my application stuff in by Mid-end of March? and will they be able to give me an in person interview (I would go anywhere rather than doing a phone interview!)
Lastly, are they very strict about referee letters? I've been out of school in the working world for a couple years so it's a little difficult to get an academic reference, I can get my high school physics chem teacher.....

THANKS!

rugby MD are you Canadian? If not what schools do you hope to get accepted to?

I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. My #1 choice right now is University of Manitoba, I have an interview in two weeks. Other than that, I'm applying to four schools in Ireland (RCSI, Trinity, UCD, Cork) and now I'm on the fence if I should apply to St George.

SGU does not have an official deadline, they work on a rolling admissions cycle. Its probably best to have all your paperwork handed to them about four months before the Semester in which you want to start.

Just about every school in North America has a "rolling admissions", but the Caribbean schools have no real deadline and no online application system like AMCAS or OMAS. I have read that applying 4 to 6 months in advance of the month of matriculation is most desirable. I would not wait to apply, and the turnaround on many applications to the Caribbean is reported to be a couple to several weeks. I'm beginning to work on my applications now. I am going to include Trinity University, and there is another school many people don't yet know about called Xavier Univeristy in Bonaire, Dutch Antilles. I went to a seminar last year. The tuition is also over 10,000. Folks, we are talking about MEDICAL SCHOOL. A few thousand is not a big deal in the long run. And many times a reported tuition may or may not include all of the other fees involved. Yes it is cheaper than your in-state tuitions, but it's not THAT much cheaper, especially if you choose to go to a school that is situated on an island with a high per capita GDP and high traffic due to tourism. Take the Dutch Antilles for instance. The cost of living won't be much different than the US or Canada, on average. It can be a factor for many.

Thanks guys, does anyone know about the references? Like I said before I've been out of school and in the so called "real" world for a couple years so I'd have a lot of trouble getting an old prof to send a letter....would it be a big deal if I have a high school science teacher(chem/physic) send it?
My stats are okaaaaay....they're not brutal don't know if that changes anything....
gpa 3.4
mcat: BS=10 PS=10 VR=8 WS=Q

Hey,
I took a year off from school before making the decision to go to med school myself. I would get in touch with a past professor, especially one that you may have worked with, for a letter of recommendation. Most schools require at least one letter from such a source. Perhaps you should consider making that connection now and getting it in progress before its too late.

The question about getting a letter from a highschool teacher is an interesting one. I wish I could do that, actually. I could get tons of good ones for that matter.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys, does anyone know about the references? Like I said before I've been out of school and in the so called "real" world for a couple years so I'd have a lot of trouble getting an old prof to send a letter....would it be a big deal if I have a high school science teacher(chem/physic) send it?
My stats are okaaaaay....they're not brutal don't know if that changes anything....
gpa 3.4
mcat: BS=10 PS=10 VR=8 WS=Q
I wouldn't send a HS LOR since you haven't been in HS in a longer time than UG. I would definitly try to contatc old professors and send your resume w/ an explanatio of your situation. Many school will also accept a LOR from your employer in lieu of one academic LOR. Call the school directly though, and they can tell you for sure what they are willing to accept. G'luck!

Does anyone know how easily you can differ from a carib school (ross, SGU). I'm applying to some SMPs for the fall, and if I get in I would like to differ if I were to be accepted for a carib school so that when I'm done I know that either way i'll be in med school the following year. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I have a few amazing work references that should be helpful although not academic....:S

I wouldn't send a HS LOR since you haven't been in HS in a longer time than UG. I would definitly try to contatc old professors and send your resume w/ an explanatio of your situation. Many school will also accept a LOR from your employer in lieu of one academic LOR. Call the school directly though, and they can tell you for sure what they are willing to accept. G'luck!

Does anyone know how easily you can differ from a carib school (ross, SGU). I'm applying to some SMPs for the fall, and if I get in I would like to differ if I were to be accepted for a carib school so that when I'm done I know that either way i'll be in med school the following year. Thanks!
are you trying to say "defer"?

Hey Rugby!
Where did u get info about these schools in ireland?
I too am a Canadian student and I am interested in looking into it.
Do you need to write the UKcat??

Thanks guys but it's probably still a little bit cheaper than Ireland where I am currently applying to. Not cheaper than Canada where I am hoping to get accepted. I figure I should keep my options open. Do you think I'll be okay if I send all my application stuff in by Mid-end of March? and will they be able to give me an in person interview (I would go anywhere rather than doing a phone interview!)
Lastly, are they very strict about referee letters? I've been out of school in the working world for a couple years so it's a little difficult to get an academic reference, I can get my high school physics chem teacher.....

THANKS!

Hey Rugby!
Where did u get info about these schools in ireland?
I too am a Canadian student and I am interested in looking into it.
Do you need to write the UKcat??