St. George's students//grad please read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in St. George's medical school. I am interested to hear what your credentials were (MCAT score science grades etc.) so I can get an idea of what their looking for.... Thanks

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

SGU doesnt go strictly by numbers; but while there isn't in fact a formal "cut off (ie you dont get booted for having a GPA below a cut point) they insist that your numbers paint the picture of someone who can handle the curriculum and pass the boards.

I have heard that SGU stat medians are 3.4 and 26. However, SGU has an 800 number and you can actually speak to an admissions officer. Unlike most US med schools that actually tell you NOT to contact them if you need something, the SGU advisors are very friendly. Give them a call, talk to one of the advisors and tell him/her about your situation. They will tell you what they are looking for and whether or not you are competitive. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the 800 number and they weren't as nice as you said.

My MCAT and GPA were both significantly above the stated means...but I think that SGU does take many factors into consideration when looking at applications. Most importantly, I think, is whether or not they think you will be successful on Step 1 and 2. I know that it seems like they must be looking into a magic 8-ball to determine that, but that is their major criterion for admission.
I know that some of the admission counselors are not too friendly, but some are really teriffic. Call the 800 number and ask who your counselor is. If you have a problem with your counselor, let me know...and maybe I can help you find a more helpful person.
Good luck!

if someone wasn't friendly to you over the phone, there is no excuse. But generally you will find someone there quite helpful. I'd give it another go. The rule of thumb is that they return in kind. If you are polite generally you'll find them quite helpful. Sorry if you happened upon someone less that usual.