St Johns Hospital and Medical Center, Detroit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pineal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found very little information about this program on their website.Does anyone have an idea of how this program is?

Members don't see this ad.

St. John's is a nice community program in Detroit. The hospital is actually on the east border of Detroit's city limits so you get a great mix of urban + suburban patient population. The residents are all very happy and laid back. You will definetly know how to cut by the end of your residency. If you want to be a general surgeon, it's a great place to train. However, if you're looking for fellowships, maybe an academic center might be for you.

Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center is still the major medical center in Detroit. It has the only level 1 trauma center in the city: Detroit Receiving Hospital. The current chief class fellowhips looks like this: Duke/Plastics, UWisconsin/CT, U of L/Hand, WashU/Critical Care, Private Practice/Kaiser, Cali, Children's Hospital of Michigan/Peds. But you will work your tail off and be well rewarded.

Henry Ford is an up and coming program with an excellent new chairman with major connections to NASA. Although it is listed as a community program, there is a strong academic feel around the department. They have the best transplant program in Detroit.

Finally, there's Beaumont Hospital which I would say is very similar to Baylor-Dallas. A cozy highly profitable hospital that gives resident's all the perks.

I hope this helps. Take care.

thanks for your reply.i was wondering how strong their didactic teaching was and if the residents had a good camaraderie and finally how bad the detroit winter really is?r u a current/past resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a fourth year student finished interviewing for general surgery. I've rotated through all these metro detroit hospitals as a student on various services. The didactics at St. Johns is good. The chairman Larry Lloyd and two assistant program directors take a very pro-active approach to teaching residents. They have a good minimally invasive program.

The winters in Detroit are similar to most winters in the upper midwest. It's comparable to most cities in Illinois, Ohio, Penn..
December, January and Feb are you're worst months with snow and temperatures between 10 - 30 F on average. Otherwise most of the year is bearable and the summers are great.

I'm sure you have questions about the city itself. The superbowl is in Detroit for 2006, so the city is trying to shape up the entertainment around town. Still, most people live in the suburbs. St. Johns is located near Gross Pointe, a very comfortable suburb to live in. Even if you live in the burbs you can get to downtown within 20 minutes as traffic is nowhere near as bad as some other cities.

I've seen a major improvement in night life in the last four years. The downtown area around the new Comerica Park (Tigers) and Ford Field (Lions) has sprung a lot of bars/clubs.

That being said, I've lived in Detroit pretty much my entire life and I just have an itch to experience something else.

Take care.

well, that sure makes the place sound much better!thanks for that view of Detroit.all the best for your residency.