St Luke's? -Belize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know anything about them? I couldn't find anything on them. I take it thats a bad sign?

www.stluke.edu.bz

Members don't see this ad.

is this sudden interest b/c you received a pamphlet in the mail? i received one too, now i'm also interested. their website looks legit.

my father received it in the mail. I had no idea what he was talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Imbebo, I thought you were soon to be admitted to the Harvard of the Caribbean! (St Georges) ;) Why are you looking at these other fly by night operators?

huh? Im applying there... my application is under review. But until I get in somewhere I wanna keep my eyes open.

I received a pamphlet today as well...haven't heard of them before though.

Interesting in that the dean is the head of the Belizian med council--or whatever that entity was exactly called on the site.

Rather diverse and relatively sizable faculty, all things considered.

Truly beautiful facility is pictured; no real lab and classroom photos are included.

Diverse clinical locations; no mention is made of quality of US clinicals (e.g. Green Book). Compulsory "Community Medicine" component in Belize is typical, and would probably be an awesome experience.

Acceptable price for the more elite Belizians, and NICE available scholarship for other Belizians; neither is atypical for a proprietary school like it. Given such options in the country, DO NOT look expectantly for a State-funded med school in Belize. Has otherwise rather high costs for a very new school--rounded, 15K / yr. tuition. Has Med Achievers only.

Belize is a really neat country, much offering "the best of both worlds"--a cultural experience yet in a relatively English-speaking country. Cheap to live there. The Belizian gov has long been casting vision for and taking positive measures unto moving the country toward a sort of Costa Rican style of socialized health care. Big migration issues in the country.

School will be very interesting for me to watch and hear more about--especially from those who can give first-hand accounts!

Just trying to synopsize in a balanced way a few important things from the web-site and from my larger experience here, folks. I wish the school, and all its faculty and students the very best of success! :)

I was at St. Matthews when it was in Belize. Stephan is right about it being a beautiful country. Ambergris Caye, and San Pedro are very nice places, but it is a tourist destination. Rent was a minimum of $500US in 1999, and electricity is very expensive ($75US/mo with a/c). It was cheaper to shop in the smaller stores, but if you want US food, it is very expensive. And, the phone company was making noises about charging a large non-refundable deposit for students. On the plus side, students got discounts on diving lessons at a number of places! And, Coca-cola was also fairly inexpensive if you ordered it by the case. They'd deliver it in a red wagon towed by a tractor. (Usually by a cute muscular guy);)

Ah. I failed to see the school is on the Caye...where prices do RISE!

so is this school something i should look into more, or should i not bother?

i am wondering the same thing.

I'd stick with the well known schools. I don't think it matters much when you are in the basic sciences, as long as the school remains listed so you can take the steps. However, the older schools have lots of graduates who have paved the way into rotations and residencies. My school (SMU) is still having growing pains, I can only imagine what St. Luke's is doing.

wow, did you saw one of the faculties MD? Bahar Sedarati, shes cute!! Wish i had professors like that at my Md school!!

Originally posted by Mig24x
wow, did you saw one of the faculties MD? Bahar Sedarati, shes cute!! Which i had professors like that at my Md school!!

No kidding!:love: :D