St. Luke's Roosevelt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowball1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So essentially, I interviewed there and was very impressed, however I have heard so little about their reputation/training from non-St.Luke's affiliated sources. Everyone I ask seems to shrug and say that they don't know much about them. It's scary to try to figure this out based on one day!

My thoughts: Great location, good housing, good benefits. I thought the group of residents I met were interesting, kind, and laid back. The program director seems to be very good in terms of laying out and planning the curriculum. I haven't heard if he's a responsive PD, however I got a good impression of him. As far as other faculty, one of the two other interviewers was a touch intimidating and the other was super nice.

I am a fan of early exposure to outpatient psychiatry (clinic in second year and 2-3 months of working on the day-treatment program). I liked that it was a complete CPEP. I like all of the exposure to substance abuse psychiatry (you do two months on the detox unit), though I wonder if it's too much?

The amount of supervision in third year seemed good. Enough without being too much, and solid variety (psychodynamic, pharm, CBT, etc).

My wishes: There is some child exposure in the ER and you do child and adolescent o/p in the third year, however no inpatient child & adolescent rotation. I am potentially interested in a C&A fellowship so I don't know if it'll be feasible to 5-year it or to even really get a good taste of it. (This is more of a question for the program though).

My concerns: Basically, will I have strong training in psychotherapy with supportive faculty? And, will I get a good job afterwards?

And I guess, how would it compare to LIJ or Monti? Are they pretty similar reputation wise? And, I realize that Mt. Sinai is a step up regarding reputation... but is it a teeny step or a huge leap?

Before I make this post too long: Loved LIJ's curriculum/psychotherapy though I didn't mesh with the residents as well and am not a fan of the location. Monti was okay too, location is a minus yet again and I also felt there wasn't enough child exposure. As for Sinai, I liked it, huge plus on the child exposure, but it felt a little too over the top for me. Also, the pay is quite a bit lower and the housing is less guaranteed and more expensive... and I don't know if it's worth it four more years of being worried about loan-monster. Maybe it is though, hence why I'm asking for others thoughts. I can elaborate more on these programs and on myself if that helps.

Thank you so much! We can also broaden this question to nyc as a whole if this helps anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still upset that I was rejected from St. Luke's in October. I got interviews at all the other NY programs I applied to, but am pretty sure that I would be more interested in St. Luke's if haven been given the chance to interview. I think I would have ranked it 1st or 2nd. I agree with you about the location (I love the upper west side and the proximity to the park), salary, and housing, but don't know anything else specific about the program.

I'm still upset that I was rejected from St. Luke's in October. I got interviews at all the other NY programs I applied to, but am pretty sure that I would be more interested in St. Luke's if haven been given the chance to interview. I think I would have ranked it 1st or 2nd. I agree with you about the location (I love the upper west side and the proximity to the park), salary, and housing, but don't know anything else specific about the program.

Rejected me too, and I also received interview invites from some of the larger NYC programs.

I'm a third year resident at SLR. If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to PM me...