St. Mathews Truth Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have spent the last year or so regathering my focus after a disturbing year at dental school. Truth be known, I had always wanted to be in Medicine but do to some growing pains in undergrad my gpa put me out of the running for med school or so I thought. Most of my extra curricular activities have been working around patients and MD's/DO's but Ultimately I took that experience and used it toward my getting into dental school. I reasoned that dentistry was also a health profession and in it you do have an opportunity to help people in a similar way to medicine. However after a a family crisis and some bad grades in dental school and a lack of desire to return to the institution I was attending I decided to look over seas like my brother was doing. He'll be hearing back from SGU next week. If anyone believes in prayer out their then please say one for him (VHLG). While the dental school option looked dissmal for a return to the US, medical school looked more and more possible. When I read the postings about St. Mathews I was almost stunned. NO MCAT! Amazing. After spending too much money on the application process and the standardized admissions testing with dentistry the thought of repeating that for the MCAT made me go a big rubbery one. I see those services as sort of "racket" or sophisticated extorsion scheme. They give you know gaurantees even if you blow them out of the water. I 've heard a lot of people sharing and no four personal friends with 3.7 GPA's and 29 30 and 33 MCAT's they all did not get in the fist round asnd spent years " demonstrating their commitment" to the profession by accumulating worthless degrees from Grad schools. THe schools take your money and you continue to pum more into the academic system that is in place until you are finally on the most illogical of reasons granted admission to a school of medicine that' greatest claim to fame is discovering the PIMPLE. So all that said I can appreciate a place like St. MAthews that doesn't require you waste more money on that thing. However St. Mathews sounds expensive and I've yet to hear particular and compelling testimony from anyone who has graduated or is attendg the school. Please one and all share with me your thoughts if you have any and if you the things I said annoy/bore/or ellicit any kind of feeling from you share it with me I'd love to hear someone with similar or dissimilar experiences and thoughts. I'm not as crusty as I think I sound but really would love to hear something from someone with an opinion.

God Bless

Members don't see this ad.

dpg said:
I have spent the last year or so regathering my focus after a disturbing year at dental school. Truth be known, I had always wanted to be in Medicine but do to some growing pains in undergrad my gpa put me out of the running for med school or so I thought. Most of my extra curricular activities have been working around patients and MD's/DO's but Ultimately I took that experience and used it toward my getting into dental school. I reasoned that dentistry was also a health profession and in it you do have an opportunity to help people in a similar way to medicine. However after a a family crisis and some bad grades in dental school and a lack of desire to return to the institution I was attending I decided to look over seas like my brother was doing. He'll be hearing back from SGU next week. If anyone believes in prayer out their then please say one for him (VHLG). While the dental school option looked dissmal for a return to the US, medical school looked more and more possible. When I read the postings about St. Mathews I was almost stunned. NO MCAT! Amazing. After spending too much money on the application process and the standardized admissions testing with dentistry the thought of repeating that for the MCAT made me go a big rubbery one. I see those services as sort of "racket" or sophisticated extorsion scheme. They give you know gaurantees even if you blow them out of the water. I 've heard a lot of people sharing and no four personal friends with 3.7 GPA's and 29 30 and 33 MCAT's they all did not get in the fist round asnd spent years " demonstrating their commitment" to the profession by accumulating worthless degrees from Grad schools. THe schools take your money and you continue to pum more into the academic system that is in place until you are finally on the most illogical of reasons granted admission to a school of medicine that' greatest claim to fame is discovering the PIMPLE. So all that said I can appreciate a place like St. MAthews that doesn't require you waste more money on that thing. However St. Mathews sounds expensive and I've yet to hear particular and compelling testimony from anyone who has graduated or is attendg the school. Please one and all share with me your thoughts if you have any and if you the things I said annoy/bore/or ellicit any kind of feeling from you share it with me I'd love to hear someone with similar or dissimilar experiences and thoughts. I'm not as crusty as I think I sound but really would love to hear something from someone with an opinion.

God Bless

Your spelling is lowsey and you nedd some dinner!

Members don't see this ad :)
I currrently attend SMU, and it is a fine school. If you join their joint masters program you can come back to the US for your 4th and 5th semesters. Other Carib med schools you should look into are AUC and Saba, last I checked they didn't require MCATs, but there is an increasing trend for all these schools (including SMU) to start requiring it. However keep in mind that SMU is not approved by the state of California, and you must use private loans only if you are applying solely for the MD degree. The joint MD/MHSA program allows you to get government loans, as the MHSA degree is from a US school (St. Joseph's College in Standish, Maine). Also, please do visit the valuemd.com forums, as they are the perfect starting place to ask questions anout Carib med schools. Take care.

Thanks Mehrdad
Mehrdad1 said:
I currrently attend SMU, and it is a fine school. If you join their joint masters program you can come back to the US for your 4th and 5th semesters. Other Carib med schools you should look into are AUC and Saba, last I checked they didn't require MCATs, but there is an increasing trend for all these schools (including SMU) to start requiring it. However keep in mind that SMU is not approved by the state of California, and you must use private loans only if you are applying solely for the MD degree. The joint MD/MHSA program allows you to get government loans, as the MHSA degree is from a US school (St. Joseph's College in Standish, Maine). Also, please do visit the valuemd.com forums, as they are the perfect starting place to ask questions anout Carib med schools. Take care.

Mehrdad1 said:

AUC now requires the MCAT.