St Matthews University - Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VVMed1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm interested in applying to atleast two medical schools in the Caribbean (SGU and Ross) and I'd like to know if St Matthews University is one that I should also consider and why (or why not). After doing a little research and speaking with alumni that are currently licensed to practice in the U.S., it seems to me that both SGU and Ross provide 'top notch' education for schools in the region. I've heard little to nothing substantial concerning SMU, it's reputation, curriculum, USMLE pass rates, residency placements in the U.S., licensure, etc.
As a little background knowledge, I was born and raised in the Caribbean but completed my undergraduate studies in the U.S. I also intend to apply to schools within the continental U.S., pending affordability!
Any advice?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If not Ross or SGU, why consider SMU before AUC and Saba.

If not Ross or SGU, why consider SMU before AUC and Saba.

Point very well taken. I've just started researching these schools, so I'll add both AUC and Saba to my list.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Point very well taken. I've just started researching these schools, so I'll add both AUC and Saba to my list.
Thanks!

And your better off ending you list with that.

Not sure where these people get off saying that as I'm sure neither of them went to SMU. I am in my 4th year and about to graduate and I have had a very positive experience at SMU. My class had a 100% pass rate for USMLE. Average score was 225. The problem is getting to the point of writing step 1. The classes are very difficult and requires very hard work. But if you pass the classes, you will do well on step 1. I have had both surgery and Internal residents that were former SMU students. Please don't bash the school if you did not go there.

Not sure where these people get off saying that as I'm sure neither of them went to SMU. I am in my 4th year and about to graduate and I have had a very positive experience at SMU. My class had a 100% pass rate for USMLE. Average score was 225. The problem is getting to the point of writing step 1. The classes are very difficult and requires very hard work. But if you pass the classes, you will do well on step 1. I have had both surgery and Internal residents that were former SMU students. Please don't bash the school if you did not go there.

It's not so much an issue of bashing the school, but rather your likelihood of securing a residency after graduation. A Step 1 score of 225 is not going to cut it for much longer for most Caribbean graduates. Combine that with the fact that the only Caribbean schools that most programs outside of NY and NJ will be familiar with are SGU, Ross, AUA, and AUC, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to go to a school like SMU unless you literally have no other options. You/ll need that name recognition just to land the interview at most programs.

Where do you intend to practice?

-Skip