st matthew's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.A

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what makes this relatively new school so special? I am trying to compare st matthew's and MUA.

Members don't see this ad.

D.A said:
Does anyone know what makes this relatively new school so special? I am trying to compare st matthew's and MUA.

As you stated yourself, SMU is a "relatively new school" on the carib-med-school scene. They have an approximate 80% USMLE pass-rate, which I obtained from an official.

So what makes it so special? Well, they offer a dual degree Masters of Health/MD program, which you complete in Maine. So you get to complete your MD and your Masters in Maine. I don't know much about the program, other than that. :cool: However, this program, in my opinion, makes SMU a better choice than MUA.

My brother's friend (a St. Mat grad) is finishing up his surgery residency in baltimore. You get what you put in.

Members don't see this ad :)
basupran said:
My brother's friend (a St. Mat grad) is finishing up his surgery residency in baltimore. You get what you put in.

A friend of mine is an 4th year student at SMU. He transferred out of AUC to attend SMU.

I am currently a second sem student at St. Matthews and I am glad I made the choice to come here. The school is pretty much approved in every state except for Texas, Kansas(School must be around for 15 yrs b4 they get this state), and CA which St. Matts is tryinig to get now. The profs and curriculum are good although I was only on the island for two weeks(we are now in Maine for 2 sem) it is def one of the best islands in the carrib.

If you have any questions you can PM me

Friends of mine attending St. Matthews have been complaining that it is very crowded, and students have to "fight for cadavers" in a crowded anatomy room in Maine. Has that been your experience also?

Did I understand that a previous poster saying that you can completer the MD/Master degree program in Maine? You mean the whole thing? Didn't Ross get in a bunch of hot water trying to conduct basic science classes in Maine? What is the structure of that program?
Also a previous poster said that only CA and KS and maybe texas have not approved this school, what about NY. Are they approved there? I thought they got turned down? Are they still in the appeals process in CA? I know they originally were rejected.
Thanks for any info.

GASDR said:
Did I understand that a previous poster saying that you can completer the MD/Master degree program in Maine? You mean the whole thing? Didn't Ross get in a bunch of hot water trying to conduct basic science classes in Maine? What is the structure of that program?
Also a previous poster said that only CA and KS and maybe texas have not approved this school, what about NY. Are they approved there? I thought they got turned down? Are they still in the appeals process in CA? I know they originally were rejected.
Thanks for any info.

http://www.stmatthews.edu/affiliation.html

I don't know if you complete the entire MD in Maine.

Dear All,

I will be entering SMU in May 2005 as a joint M.D./M.H.S.A. student and wanted to offer some clarifications with respect to previously speculative posts... :)

As a dual degree candidate, one spends the first 3 semesters (year 1) on the Grand Cayman Island, studying both M.D. and M.H.S.A. coursework, then moves to Portland, Maine, to complete semesters 4 and 5 of the second year of both programs (in contrast to U.S. medical schools, SMU runs on 3 semesters/academic year, which really eases the course load and allows one to remember/focus more :thumbup: ); to the best of my knowledge and based on what I've been able to tease out of the brochure, if there is additional coursework that needs to be completed post-semester 5, this will also be done in Maine. To tie it all together, the first year of studies for both programs will be spent on the island and the second year spent in a seemingly beautiful part of Maine.

In my opinion, completing and doing well in both programs would be a huge advantage with respect to applying for competitive residencies in the States, as well as a wonderful educational exercise in such concepts as practice management, comparative healthcare systems, performance improvement/QA, transcultural healthcare perspectives and delivery, managed care and reimbursement, etc.; as someone who was seriously looking to apply to a reputable M.D./M.P.H. program in the States, St. Matthew's University's joint program seems comparable, if not better, than others that I've researched. I would encourage anyone who's interested in the more business/management-oriented aspect of healthcare (and anyone who wants to have his/her own practice, for that matter) to give great consideration to St. Matthew's; as high as my expectations have been in deciding where to attend medical school, I couldn't be more ecstatic about the choice that I have made and am really looking forward to starting my adventure in May. :hardy:

Best wishes/my warmest regards to all and I sincerely hope that this clarifies some of the aforementioned confusions/inquiries...

rossj2180 said:
Dear All,

I will be entering SMU in May 2005 as a joint M.D./M.H.S.A. student and wanted to offer some clarifications with respect to previously speculative posts... :)

As a dual degree candidate, one spends the first 3 semesters (year 1) on the Grand Cayman Island, studying both M.D. and M.H.S.A. coursework, then moves to Portland, Maine, to complete semesters 4 and 5 of the second year of both programs (in contrast to U.S. medical schools, SMU runs on 3 semesters/academic year, which really eases the course load and allows one to remember/focus more :thumbup: ); to the best of my knowledge and based on what I've been able to tease out of the brochure, if there is additional coursework that needs to be completed post-semester 5, this will also be done in Maine. To tie it all together, the first year of studies for both programs will be spent on the island and the second year spent in a seemingly beautiful part of Maine.

In my opinion, completing and doing well in both programs would be a huge advantage with respect to applying for competitive residencies in the States, as well as a wonderful educational exercise in such concepts as practice management, comparative healthcare systems, performance improvement/QA, transcultural healthcare perspectives and delivery, managed care and reimbursement, etc.; as someone who was seriously looking to apply to a reputable M.D./M.P.H. program in the States, St. Matthew's University's joint program seems comparable, if not better, than others that I've researched. I would encourage anyone who's interested in the more business/management-oriented aspect of healthcare (and anyone who wants to have his/her own practice, for that matter) to give great consideration to St. Matthew's; as high as my expectations have been in deciding where to attend medical school, I couldn't be more ecstatic about the choice that I have made and am really looking forward to starting my adventure in May. :hardy:

Best wishes/my warmest regards to all and I sincerely hope that this clarifies some of the aforementioned confusions/inquiries...

Great post Jen! :thumbup:

rossj2180 said:
Dear All,

Jen,

You're in for a big surprise my friend. See ya in Cayman. You can PM me for details.