St. Matthew's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadian01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Canada, and have been accepted to St. Matthew's. Does anyone know of anyone who has gone there? I am a little nervous in going to a foreign school...does anyone have good stories or references? :) Is anyone else here from Canada and facing the same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Canadian, I was just wondering what your stats were? Is acceptance to a Canadian or American medical school impossible? Have you considered a M.Sc? It ain't easy going the foreign route....or so i hear. :cool:

canadian01 said:
I am from Canada, and have been accepted to St. Matthew's. Does anyone know of anyone who has gone there? I am a little nervous in going to a foreign school...does anyone have good stories or references? :) Is anyone else here from Canada and facing the same situation?

We recently had a guy finishing up his first year come to talk to us at our university. He said he really liked St. Matthews and loves it there; for one thing you're literally living in paradise. The downside: it's really expensive. Not only is the school expensive, but so is the cost of living. He said that life is very comfortable there, but if you can get into a US or Canadian school, to go there instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you do not care about ever working in California and a few other states that follow California's list, then St. Matts is fine. Not the best choice in the Carib, but it will get you an MD if that is where you end up going.

I was just in Grand Cayman for Vacation....... Got back today! I too am curious on acceptance stats....

hey guys, i have a friend who like myself is a pre-med which is of course the reason i'm on this forum. we both graduated at the same time with a BS degree in biology. i'll be attending a masters in biomed science this fall in hopes of eventually getting into med school since my gpa was nowhere near stellar and my first time mcat scores were horrendous (still awaiting the april '06 scores). my friend took the mcat in aug of '05 and scored just slightly better than i did and like myslef, is awaiting the april '06 results. he is interested in going to st. matthews but i don't think he'll be able to get in. his mcat was in the low low 20's and his overall gpa was below a 3.0 (his bcpm was about 2.5). he really thinks that he'll be accepted into a caribbean school but i really dont think his chances are anywhere near being accepted. unfortunately i dont have the heart to tell him otherwise and crush his hopes and dreams. what do you guys think about my boy's situation. you think he can get into any caribbean school (i.e. st. george, ross, st. matthew, or saba)?

future doc??? said:
hey guys, i have a friend who like myself is a pre-med which is of course the reason i'm on this forum. we both graduated at the same time with a BS degree in biology. i'll be attending a masters in biomed science this fall in hopes of eventually getting into med school since my gpa was nowhere near stellar and my first time mcat scores were horrendous (still awaiting the april '06 scores). my friend took the mcat in aug of '05 and scored just slightly better than i did and like myslef, is awaiting the april '06 results. he is interested in going to st. matthews but i don't think he'll be able to get in. his mcat was in the low low 20's and his overall gpa was below a 3.0 (his bcpm was about 2.5). he really thinks that he'll be accepted into a caribbean school but i really dont think his chances are anywhere near being accepted. unfortunately i dont have the heart to tell him otherwise and crush his hopes and dreams. what do you guys think about my boy's situation. you think he can get into any caribbean school (i.e. st. george, ross, st. matthew, or saba)?

Tell your 'friend' that St. Matts will take pretty much most applicants with some sort of potential.

As for Ross/SGU/AUC, they also like to accept people with potential even if their stats are not all that great.