St. Matthews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellsworth21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think of St.Matthews? Any help whould be appreciated!:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering what you guys think of St.Matthews? Any help whould be appreciated!:cool:

It's climbing to the top. Some of Ross old professors went there after Devry took over so if you get in there go for it because in a couple of years st.matt will be the old ross and ross will just get crappier.

i agree, st. matthews is making strides. they had a very good match list this year, and the school seems to be moving in the right direction...i agree with the above poster, if you get in then go for it....good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree, st. matthews is making strides. they had a very good match list this year, and the school seems to be moving in the right direction...i agree with the above poster, if you get in then go for it....good luck

ok check my posts ,,I always thought smu was going to take over ross ...the island alone kills all others even with the price being a bit higher but in the whole realm its not much more for a safe clean island where you would want to live let alone retire,....SMU IS KICKING NOW NICE N SLOW WINS THIS RACE...SOME GROWING PAINS BUT LIKE MANY STOCKS,,COMPANIES KICKING LIKE MICROSOFT, APPLE, AOL IT TOOK TIME TO BE KING OF THE ISLANDS

SCHOOL ADMIN IS ON TOP OF IT ALWAYS A CALL BACK OR EMAIL CHAT TALK ON WED NIGHTS 9PM CHECK THEIR SITE VERY INFORMATIVE AND ALWAYS HELPFUL SOMETIMES PASR GRADS RESIDS POP IN TO ANSWER QUESTIONS...

I left AUC and went to SMU where I was much happier overall. The island life is much safer and more like home than St.Maarten was!! Many people who failed at AUC left and did quite well at SMU others failed out there too. I think it depends on your motivation and why you did poorly at AUC or any other school for that matter. I left after a run in with the Dean of Students that showed me what the school was really all about and what they really cared about. I never had that kind of poor treatment at SMU. Perhaps it was just better fit for me who knows but I sure liked it a lot better even with the growing pains and the weeding out of bad faculty.

I may be totally wrong about this, but I thought there were licensing problems for graduates of St. Matthews, like in CA.

Anyone know definitively?

I may be totally wrong about this, but I thought there were licensing problems for graduates of St. Matthews, like in CA.

Anyone know definitively?

Cali made a site visit and disapproved St. Matthews:eek: . That is as bad as it gets because the Cali list is being adopted by many states soon. Why would other states adopt the Cali list? Because Cali is one of the few states actively looking into off shore schools. Most states can't afford to do that so they adopt Cali's list instead.
There's only 4 schools in the Caribbean approved by California. SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba.:laugh:

Read California's report and you will see that the main reason for the denial was that it was a new school and needed to improve on a few things like tracking it's graduates better and having different buildings for the vet school and the med school. You also need to note they visited just after hurricane Ivan devastated the entire island. In the report there were no negative issues with the education itself but more with the infrastructure. Most if not all of the negatives in the report have been fixed and the school has or will reapply for another evaluation in the near future. There has been talk that it will happen later this year but who knows for sure as no official announcement has been made.

Read California's report and you will see that the main reason for the denial was that it was a new school and needed to improve on a few things like tracking it's graduates better and having different buildings for the vet school and the med school. You also need to note they visited just after hurricane Ivan devastated the entire island. In the report there were no negative issues with the education itself but more with the infrastructure. Most if not all of the negatives in the report have been fixed and the school has or will reapply for another evaluation in the near future. There has been talk that it will happen later this year but who knows for sure as no official announcement has been made.

I don't care what the reasons were, the simple fact is SMU was/is disaproved. You can sugar coat a turd all you want but its still a turd.:D

The California report doesn't mean squat. Their so-called report on SMU was riddled with errors, big and small, and they didn't even retract the errors after it was called to their attention, which is more telling than the mistakes themselves.

Examples: they were quite critical of SMU's hyperbaric medicine program. Only problem: there isn't one. That is a pet project of Saba, not SMU. Another example: saying each course counts for 4 credits, when in fact they all are weighted differently according to course content. A third example: quibbling about the school's lack of tabs on students who dropped out. Let's be clear, SMU nor any other school has no obligation, nor even a right, to keep track of withdrawn students. A fourth example: criticizing the fact that SMU Maine students have little interaction with the students of the college at which they take master's in health science administration courses, a claim which first of all is not true, and secondly is wholly irrelevant to medical education and whether SMU meets California standards.

So, let's be clear.....the California Board is essentially comprised of biased, prejudiced idiots who wouldn't know how to grade a medical school if a pamphlet with the title "how to grade a med school" smacked them in the face. They didn't give SMU a fair shake the first time, and there is no reason to expect them to do in the future. Nonetheless, SMU has experienced the most explosive growth of any Caribbean school in history. This is because quality and integrity will always pay dividends regardless of how many cali board members posing as objective observers trash the school.

I think the Saba student calling SMU a "turd" is jealous because he has to spend his basic sciences on that "turd" of an island with civilization no where in sight while SMU students do their basic sciences on an island that is on par with the United States.

Whether SMU gets California approval or not is frankly irrelevant. If the school continues to make the strides that it has in the last few years, it will rise to the top of the caribbean heap with or without california, and in doing so it may find that not as many people are enchanted with the land of crappy movies as some seem to think. If other states want to adopt the "list" of a state that approves or disapproves schools based on the personal politics and personality conflicts of its board members, then fine, but such states are limiting themselves needlessly. SMU has more potential than Saba ever will, and that's the reason for the acerbic responses from the likes of the Saba students and others. They were tricked into believing you have to suffer through the basic sciences in a dump like Saba, and it's just not so.

Anyone who wants the real skinny on the fastest growing medical school in the caribbean should go to the website and investigate the facts for themselves, and not rely on slander emanating from a forum that, while useful, is obviously very anti-caribbean and pro-d.o.

The California report doesn't mean squat. Their so-called report on SMU was riddled with errors, big and small, and they didn't even retract the errors after it was called to their attention, which is more telling than the mistakes themselves.

Examples: they were quite critical of SMU's hyperbaric medicine program. Only problem: there isn't one. That is a pet project of Saba, not SMU. Another example: saying each course counts for 4 credits, when in fact they all are weighted differently according to course content. A third example: quibbling about the school's lack of tabs on students who dropped out. Let's be clear, SMU nor any other school has no obligation, nor even a right, to keep track of withdrawn students. A fourth example: criticizing the fact that SMU Maine students have little interaction with the students of the college at which they take master's in health science administration courses, a claim which first of all is not true, and secondly is wholly irrelevant to medical education and whether SMU meets California standards.

So, let's be clear.....the California Board is essentially comprised of biased, prejudiced idiots who wouldn't know how to grade a medical school if a pamphlet with the title "how to grade a med school" smacked them in the face. They didn't give SMU a fair shake the first time, and there is no reason to expect them to do in the future. Nonetheless, SMU has experienced the most explosive growth of any Caribbean school in history. This is because quality and integrity will always pay dividends regardless of how many cali board members posing as objective observers trash the school.

I think the Saba student calling SMU a "turd" is jealous because he has to spend his basic sciences on that "turd" of an island with civilization no where in sight while SMU students do their basic sciences on an island that is on par with the United States.

Whether SMU gets California approval or not is frankly irrelevant. If the school continues to make the strides that it has in the last few years, it will rise to the top of the caribbean heap with or without california, and in doing so it may find that not as many people are enchanted with the land of crappy movies as some seem to think. If other states want to adopt the "list" of a state that approves or disapproves schools based on the personal politics and personality conflicts of its board members, then fine, but such states are limiting themselves needlessly. SMU has more potential than Saba ever will, and that's the reason for the acerbic responses from the likes of the Saba students and others. They were tricked into believing you have to suffer through the basic sciences in a dump like Saba, and it's just not so.

Anyone who wants the real skinny on the fastest growing medical school in the caribbean should go to the website and investigate the facts for themselves, and not rely on slander emanating from a forum that, while useful, is obviously very anti-caribbean and pro-d.o.

Dont blame me blame the state of california.

I've been looking for convo like this... I was accepted to SMU back in December and waiting to hear from SGU. Last night, I was even considering applying to two more Carrib schools ( AUC and Ross). What do you think? Is it worth it to re-enter the application process again?

Also, does anyone know if SMU gives shelf exams or if the Kaplan Review Course is apart of the curriculum or offered to students?

SMU has subject specific shelf exams that are given as your final exam in the subjects that NBME offers a shelf exam. Kaplan is part of the 5th semester in Miami. The Kaplan portion is live lecture for 6-8 weeks this includes the typical Kaplan testing etc.

Any questions PM me or email me at [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't care what the reasons were, the simple fact is SMU was/is disaproved. You can sugar coat a turd all you want but its still a turd.:D

I WAS ON SABA VISITING AND IN NO WAY DOES SABA HAVE ANYTHING OVER ST MATTHEWS BUT CONNECTIONS......CALIF WILL APPROVE ST MATTHEWS EVENTUALLY OR RISK BEING SUED FOR DISCRIMINATION AND OTHER LEGAL TERMS I NEED NOT GO INTO AT THIS POINT.....MUA GOT SOMETHING OVER ST MATTS? NOOOO,,,,THEY ARE NOT EVEN READY TO APPLY AND PROB WILL NOT FOR SOME TIME 10-15 YRS....THE ISLANDS ARE TERRIBLE WITH POOR TO SUB POOR LIVING FOR THE AVG AMERICAN....YOUNG KIDS LIKE 21-24 HAVE NO CLUE AND ARE DESPERATE SO THEY STICK IT OUT ON THESE MOON ISLANDS,,,ONCE ST MATTS GETS APPROVED THE OTHER SCHOOLS WILL SUFFER STUDENT DECLINE EVEN IF ST MATTS COSTS A BIT MORE,,,ST MATTS ADMIN BLOWS AWAY MOST OTHERS,,,ROSS ABUSES THEIR STUDENTS, WHY GO TO A COCKY, DISREGARD ADMIN LIKE ROSS ILL NEVER UNDERSTAND IT, CLASSES OVER CROWDED TO THE DOORS AND MORE YOU ARE WELL AWARE OF,,,

Uh, if you want some crazy guy threatening to kill the american ross students in dominicana if the US doesn't extradite him, then go there.

Or maybe you can go to SGU and hope there isn't a rebellion like there was in the 1980s.

How stupid to call our school a turd when every other island is a third world country.

If you want to live dangerously and risk being shot, go somewhere else. We have plenty of motivated students to fill our slots. In 2 years, people will wish they went here. That's what happens when you are too impatient.

One of the best ways to learn about each school is to read online newspaper articles. Track its history. Then you'll find some answers.

Uh, if you want some crazy guy threatening to kill the american ross students in dominicana if the US doesn't extradite him, then go there.

Or maybe you can go to SGU and hope there isn't a rebellion like there was in the 1980s.

How stupid to call our school a turd when every other island is a third world country.

If you want to live dangerously and risk being shot, go somewhere else. We have plenty of motivated students to fill our slots. In 2 years, people will wish they went here. That's what happens when you are too impatient.

One of the best ways to learn about each school is to read online newspaper articles. Track its history. Then you'll find some answers.

I wasn't calling the Cayman Islands a turd. I was going by the report made by the California Medical board which stated all the things wrong with SMU. SMU isnt the worst Carib school but it also isnt the best either. Its probably #6 on my ranking list because its not 50 state approved and the tuition is somewhat steep.

I agree with what someone said earlier. California's disapproval is irrelevant, unless you're a californian wanting to go back to your home state.

Another important thing to note is the improvement of the USMLE Step 1 scores. I believe the scores were a little bit above 80% when California visited. Now they're 92%.

While many states look to California for approval, it's not like California's decision is going to completely discredit the university.

Now matter how amazing a school is, there will be disapproval somewhere.

Cali made a site visit and disapproved St. Matthews:eek: . That is as bad as it gets because the Cali list is being adopted by many states soon. Why would other states adopt the Cali list? Because Cali is one of the few states actively looking into off shore schools. Most states can't afford to do that so they adopt Cali's list instead.
There's only 4 schools in the Caribbean approved by California. SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba.:laugh:

I m thinking,,,same people right? saba and mcgillgrad? Does anyone even know if this guy is at any med school?

Dont blame me blame the state of california.

ok ok you seem to know it all about smu,,I wonder what your hidden agenda is now and the rest wants to know too at this point. You go to SMU? We all know SMU and calif right now don t mix but whats up with you already? Did SMU kick you out or better yet deny you admissions?

ok ok you seem to know it all about smu,,I wonder what your hidden agenda is now and the rest wants to know too at this point. You go to SMU? We all know SMU and calif right now don t mix but whats up with you already? Did SMU kick you out or better yet deny you admissions?

No hidden agenda, Saba has its faults too (some more of late). I was pointing out the fact that Cali approval is more important that you might think. As I have stated over and over "alot" of states are considering adopting the cali approval list. So you might say screw cali we dont need them, well soon it could be 10-15 states. Do you want to limit yourself by going to an unapproved school? If you look at my posts I say go to the top 4 schools that are Cali approved. SGU, ROSS, AUC and Saba. <-- see how I put Saba last? I would have went to SGU but I wanted to save some cash but I still consider SGU better than Saba. Theres talk about SGU accepting Saba transfers and if that happens I might transfer after I take the Step1. Now why would I do that? Because SGU has a much better network of alumni out there and its easier to land a residency. Some would say Im crazy, "dont transfer to another carib school" but it really doesnt matter if you transfer or not.

lol, i love all this "don't limit yourself" talk...as if there arent 49 other states, not considering 99.9% of those interested in smu don't give a flip about the possibility of practicing in cali....if north dakota disapproved a school would you still say that you are limiting yourself by not having north dakota, some say this isnt a fair analogy but it is to me since i would practice in antarctica before cali.....so lets be real california only matters if you are from there and are planning on reurning.....spending 2 years on a crap hole island is not worth it if you arent interested in practicing there................i also find it funny that so many people from other schools waste their time talking so much about smu

lol, i love all this "don't limit yourself" talk...as if there arent 49 other states, not considering 99.9% of those interested in smu don't give a flip about the possibility of practicing in cali....if north dakota disapproved a school would you still say that you are limiting yourself by not having north dakota, some say this isnt a fair analogy but it is to me since i would practice in antarctica before cali.....so lets be real california only matters if you are from there and are planning on reurning.....spending 2 years on a crap hole island is not worth it if you arent interested in practicing there................i also find it funny that so many people from other schools waste their time talking so much about smu

You didnt read my post, yes who cares about Cali? I dont... But OTHER states are adopting the cali list and that WILL limit you. Its 20 months on the crap island then I WONT be limited to where I can and cant practice. Think about it.

Well well, Looks like I have to eat my words. As of today St. Matthews and Saba are now sister schools. I heard that SMU will move to a more "Saba Like" education, which is good. I now predict good things from SMU. This is so hard for me to say, Sissssster schools.:eek:

Well well, Looks like I have to eat my words. As of today St. Matthews and Saba are now sister schools. I heard that SMU will move to a more "Saba Like" education, which is good. I now predict good things from SMU. This is so hard for me to say, Sissssster schools.:eek:

YOUR CREDIBILITY HAS SUNK TO NEW LOWS,,SPREADING RUMORS NOW

MUA SABA NOT SMU SABA,,,,FORGET THIS GUY OUT TO LUNCH AND DINNER

It is SMU-Saba and MUA from what I have read on VMD. I guess Equinox has purchased all three.

YOUR CREDIBILITY HAS SUNK TO NEW LOWS,,SPREADING RUMORS NOW

MUA SABA NOT SMU SABA,,,,FORGET THIS GUY OUT TO LUNCH AND DINNER

Sorry, your wrong, as of today SMU, Saba and MUA-N are all under one roof. Sorry your the last to know. :laugh:

I left AUC and went to SMU where I was much happier overall. The island life is much safer and more like home than St.Maarten was!! Many people who failed at AUC left and did quite well at SMU others failed out there too. I think it depends on your motivation and why you did poorly at AUC or any other school for that matter. I left after a run in with the Dean of Students that showed me what the school was really all about and what they really cared about. I never had that kind of poor treatment at SMU. Perhaps it was just better fit for me who knows but I sure liked it a lot better even with the growing pains and the weeding out of bad faculty.

heyy!! so you left AUC because overall you didn't like the faculty? curriculum? st maarten in general? the things is that I was accepted to SMU and AUC...and i'm having trouble in choosing the best school for me. i'm a recent graduate from the university of florida and i live in miami, fl. i was accepted to both caribbean medical schools and everyone has told me to choose AUC just because its approved in all 50 states. to tell you the truth i dont really care about the school being approved by all 50 states just because I see myself practicing in the state of florida. but everyone says i might change my mind in the near future. they also tell me that AUC has a higher USMLE passing rate than SMU..is this right? honestly i dont think what school you go too but rather how hard you discipline yourself and study hard and pass your USMLE exams at the end. Was the island life at st maarten horrible? what island would you say is safer? can you just please overall point out all the things you disliked about AUC...and why SMU is a better choice for medical school?
are students just rating the top 4 caribbean schools based on the fact that these med schools are approved by all 50 states????

are students just rating the top 4 caribbean schools based on the fact that these med schools are approved by all 50 states????

Generally, the "top 4" are the top 4 not only because they are approved in all 50 states. I can think of some other reasons which I listed below.

Residency placement of graduates. Look at each school's residency match lists for competitive programs and competitive specialties. I know, a little tough to know when you're not in medicine yet.

USMLE pass rate. What's the pass rate for first-time takers of the USMLE?

Clinical portion of each school's curriculum. Are rotations done at facilities with residency programs in the department they are rotationg at? How often do you have to move around from city to city, if at all?

Established reputation. The "top 4" have been around a lot longer than some of the newer schools. Connections and experience with graduates of these programs may or may not be valuable depending on the specialty/program you are applying for. The past graduates of the "top 4" have generally given the top 4 schools a good reputation.

Graduates. The established schools probably have a lot more graduates who are and have been chiefs, faculty, directors, chairpersons, etc. at med schools or residency programs.

Of course, some of the above things will have no bearing on your individual experience at whatever med school you choose to attend. We all attended different schools for different reasons. The "top 4" certainly does not fit everyone.

Well well, Looks like I have to eat my words. As of today St. Matthews and Saba are now sister schools. I heard that SMU will move to a more "Saba Like" education, which is good. I now predict good things from SMU.

The all night vigil I was maintaining for SMU can now be cut short. Phew!

But......., so...how am I supposed to feel superior to others in lesser schools when suddenly the lesser school attendees are receiving a superior school-like education? I now predict a severe hit to the ego....:oops:

Dr.Jane I sent you a PM with all the details