Stand A Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballerinadoctor

Lo tuyo no tiene nombre
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

My gpa overall and science i guess is about a 3.0, might be higher since DO schools replace grades and I retook a class... but my mcat is not bad i guess... 14verbal 10bio 8phys 32 total

i have a publication and lots of research experience, shadowing and volunteering... i also dance ballet professionally and teach (not enough time for a better GPA though lol) and my lor should be pretty good...

so i know i am not anywhere near a competitive applicant for most programs but is it a lost cause or should i still try and apply early and broadly?

Yes. High MCAT, low GPA here too... 32/3.25 got into 3 DO schools (WVSOM, CCOM, and PCOM) And you have more interesting experience than I do... good luck :)

If you are below a 3.0, you may have a problem. A lot of schools have 3.0 as a cut-off. Find out what your GPA is. The rest of your application sounds good though. Your MCAT will definitely help you. Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think cutoffs are actually 2.75.

I think cutoffs are actually 2.75.

I am pretty sure some of them are 3.0, but you would have to check with the individual schools. OP: Just make sure you check that before wasting your money and applying to a school. Your MCAT and ECs are good, so I think you willl get an acceptance somewhere.:) :luck:

I am pretty sure some of them are 3.0, but you would have to check with the individual schools. OP: Just make sure you check that before wasting your money and applying to a school. Your MCAT and ECs are good, so I think you willl get an acceptance somewhere.:) :luck:

Some cutoffs are even 2.5...

Pertaining to asking them:

I was told by PCOM that their Science GPA cutoff was 3.2 though before I applied... I'm glad I didn't listen to that know-nothing admissions office biatch... Look up ADMISSIONS DIRECTORS/ASST DIRECTORS and ask for them by name when you call. That way you get REAL answers.

I was told by PCOM that their Science GPA cutoff was 3.2 though before I applied... I'm glad I didn't listen to that know-nothing admissions office biatch...

Whoa, trash talking the school you're attending, very smooth Max. :rolleyes:

Some cutoffs are even 2.5...

Pertaining to asking them:

I was told by PCOM that their Science GPA cutoff was 3.2 though before I applied... I'm glad I didn't listen to that know-nothing admissions office biatch... Look up ADMISSIONS DIRECTORS/ASST DIRECTORS and ask for them by name when you call. That way you get REAL answers.

2.5?!?!? WOW!!!! Really? :eek: OK, well I am still sure that some of the schools have a 3.0 cut off. I still think calling or somehow checking on the minimums is a good idea.:) :luck:

nick i really don't give a ****... they almost caused me to not apply. The vast majority of PCOM staff is EXCELLENT, but whoever picked up that day last July was a total idiot.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin: :thumbup:

2.5?!?!? WOW!!!! Really? :eek: OK, well I am still sure that some of the schools have a 3.0 cut off. I still think calling or somehow checking on the minimums is a good idea.:) :luck:

DMU is one that has a 3.0 science/overall GPA cutoff.

I think your MCAT and LOR's off set the low GPA. If you don't get in this cycle you'll at least know your GPA is something you can work on (if it comes to that).

Members don't see this ad :)
My gpa overall and science i guess is about a 3.0, might be higher since DO schools replace grades and I retook a class... but my mcat is not bad i guess... 14verbal 10bio 8phys 32 total

i have a publication and lots of research experience, shadowing and volunteering... i also dance ballet professionally and teach (not enough time for a better GPA though lol) and my lor should be pretty good...

so i know i am not anywhere near a competitive applicant for most programs but is it a lost cause or should i still try and apply early and broadly?

With a 32 M.C.A.T. you are a shoe-in for at least a few D.O. schools.

but my mcat is not bad i guess... 14verbal 10bio 8phys 32 total

14 in verbal. Wow. Not many of those running around.
The way schools emphasize Verbal, I wonder if it would've been better if you had gone 11, 11, 10 to get your 32, or if it's better to get that 14 in verbal. Because that really stands out!

I went 12PS, 12BS, 10VR, myself.
I know I was capable of more than a 10 in VR, but my pacing was really off. Didn't complete one passage and rushed through another. Got a 12V on my last diagnostic. But I'll live with my score. :) I'm a low GPA-er, too, though. I went 2.9 in UG, 3.9 in grad school. I recall that translating out to about a 3.1 overall. I have one acceptance, and two waitlists, though I applied late and only in the western states.

Apply broadly, apply early, and you should be just fine. :)

I wonder if on md applicants if the people who got accepted to places like pcom or msucom who state their gpa as 3.5 or 3.6 have that gpa because the osteo app system allows them to use repeated course grades where as without their repeats one might have a 3.2 or 3.0? Did anyone have a big difference like .4 or more between their allo and osteo gpa?

I wonder if on md applicants if the people who got accepted to places like pcom or msucom who state their gpa as 3.5 or 3.6 have that gpa because the osteo app system allows them to use repeated course grades where as without their repeats one might have a 3.2 or 3.0? Did anyone have a big difference like .4 or more between their allo and osteo gpa?

Mine was really close. I only have one repeat. My science was about half a point lower on AAMC because AACOMAS doesn't use the math to calculate it. They were both very close though. I didn't have a 3.5 and am not going to PCOM, but I just wanted to answer the question about the GPA. If someone repeated a lot of classes, then I guess it could be very different.:)

Ad-coms love interesting life experiences of which you have. Apply to all the schools you are interested in and you should do great. Your numbers are good and show that you have the learning potential. Professional ballet shows determination and hard work ethic, teaching shows communication skills, research shows you have you have a real foundation in science, use that in your statements, and always relate your life experiences to the qualities they show in you that will make you a great med student and more importantly, a great physician. Good luck

Did anybody else have a big difference in their between their allo and osteo gpa's?

Did anybody else have a big difference in their between their allo and osteo gpa's?

That would happen if you have a lot of repeats. In the end AAMCAS couldn't process my application b/c one of the courses I re-took was re-named after I took it, so they were too confused. Thank goodness for AACOMAS!

To OP, as others have stated, your life experience and awesome MCAT will offset that pesky GPA. I had a low GPA (although from a competitive university) but my high MCAT and EC's helped my stand out. DO schools are much more forgiving and willing to look for other desirable qualities. Apply broadly and good luck!

My AAMC science GPA was about .2 pts lower than an AACOMAS, AAMC non-science GPA was .1 pts higher than AACOMAS, and overall GPA was .1 higher with AACOMAS. Science showed the biggest difference, but I had a few retakes.

14 in verbal. Wow. Not many of those running around.
The way schools emphasize Verbal, I wonder if it would've been better if you had gone 11, 11, 10 to get your 32, or if it's better to get that 14 in verbal. Because that really stands out!

I got a 14 in Verbal, and I still got placed on two waitlists. A most balanced score probably would have served me better :) I got into a great school though, so it doesn't matter anymore!