Stand out EC's on App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted600623

Hi all,

So I've been thinking about all of my experiences and things that will go into my application for the 2018-2019 cycle and feel like I'm missing something that helps me to really stand out from others. I have fairly standard ECs consisting of co-2nd author publication of research in a low impact journal, roughly 1500 hours (and counting) of clinical experience as a medical assistant, a couple of leadership roles in a Christian club, assisting with the opening of a free health clinic in my community, volunteering at my church, and a medical missions trip. However, I've always loved competing in golf and actually thought about pursuing it as a career but didn't because I feel like I have a better shot at becoming a doctor than a professional golf player. With that being said, I am thinking about trying to compete in the US Amateur next year. I came close a couple years ago but fell short of qualifying. The actual tournament would not be until august so I could maybe include something about it in my primary or secondary application.

My question is would this be considered as an extraordinary EC according to Wedgedawg's system or not? Any advice is greatly appreciated as always!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

So I've been thinking about all of my experiences and things that will go into my application for the 2018-2019 cycle and feel like I'm missing something that helps me to really stand out from others. I have fairly standard ECs consisting of co-2nd author publication of research in a low impact journal, roughly 1500 hours (and counting) of clinical experience as a medical assistant, a couple of leadership roles in a Christian club, assisting with the opening of a free health clinic in my community, volunteering at my church, and a medical missions trip. However, I've always loved competing in golf and actually thought about pursuing it as a career but didn't because I feel like I have a better shot at becoming a doctor than a professional golf player. With that being said, I am thinking about trying to compete in the US Amateur next year. I came close a couple years ago but fell short of qualifying. The actual tournament would not be until august so I could maybe include something about it in my primary or secondary application.

My question is would this be considered as an extraordinary EC according to Wedgedawg's system or not? Any advice is greatly appreciated as always!
Not outstanding, but very uncommon, and worth mentioning.

Working in hospice, or the Peace Corps is outstanding.

The medical mission trip will be viewed as medical tourism.

Have a little faith in yourself. Your EC list looks good!!!!

@Goro Thank you for the advice! I'll go for it and see what happens. Definitely understand the impact of the medical mission trip but I'll just mention it as something that played a role in my passion for serving the underserved.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion you can still stand from the most popular ECs (e.g. research, hospital volunteering, doctor shadowing). I think the depth of the experience would make a difference here.

In my opinion you can still stand from the most popular ECs (e.g. research, hospital volunteering, doctor shadowing). I think the depth of the experience would make a difference here.

I knew I was forgetting something and that's my shadowing of roughly 100 hours. But thanks for the advice! Im hoping my devotion to a few things over a significant amount of time in my undergrad will come across as a strong passion for medicine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I knew I was forgetting something and that's my shadowing of roughly 100 hours. But thanks for the advice! Im hoping my devotion to a few things over a significant amount of time in my undergrad will come across as a strong passion for medicine.

It will! It will be well-reflected on your application if you can tie them altogether!

Since when was having a publication a standard EC

Hahaha maybe on SDN...but I'm sure the high end research schools wouldn't mind if you had publications, I believe thats how you can stand out.

Reactions: 1 user

Well it's nothing special. It's in a newly developed, low impact journal on a project consisting of designing DIY research equipment for labs with low funding.