Standing all day....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joejoe75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to whether or not pharmacists were required to stand all day long. whenever i get a Rx filled, they are standing and come to think of it, i dont think i have EVER seen them sit. This has to get tiring for an 8 hour shift, at the very least. I say why not let them be comfortable and let them sit. Less fatigue means a more productive worker. Just curious to see everyones input.

Members don't see this ad.

I work in a small pharmacy, our pharmacist's set down pretty regularly. However, we only fill 75-120 scripts a day and we will only have 1 pharmacist,2 techs, and a clerk working. (sometimes only a pharmacist and a tech but thats like the middle of the month on a tuesday for just a few hours.)

Good point about standing all day long, but if you are the only pharmacist on shift or let's say the manager, who is there to stop you from grabbing a seat.

Years ago I worked in a video store and that was mainly standing work for 6-8 hours, though some exercise was afforded by returning stacks of movies back to the shelves. My point is, you get adjusted to the extended periods of standing. Of course, this was a number of years ago when I was more "strapping", so I can't be sure how the wheels will handle under the same conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't stand all day. When I do order entry in a hospital, I sit & for far too long. I also walk miles in a hospital.

There are just some things that are better done standing rather than sitting.

I've never been NOT allowed to sit. I just do whenever I feel like it & yes, I can fill when I sit - I just have to get up to get the drug.

The pharmacists I work with during the day don't get a chance to sit down during their shifts, but we're a very busy store that does about 400+ scripts per day. They used to not even get a lunch, but now they finally changed that, so at least they can sit down during their lunch break. I've seen one of the night pharmacists pull up a chair whenever she's tired; it's usually a little less busy at night, so she doesn't have to walk around that much. The night pharmacist is also the one that does all the paperwork like keeping up the C2 book, so they're always sitting down for that. The day pharmacists usually can't sit very much because they have to walk back and forth counseling or getting C2s.

I work at a retail pharmacy and no one gets a chance to sit down during the day. There's one chair in the corner that people will sit in for a minute if they're making a quick phone call, but for the most part we're all standing all day. I've been there since November as a clerk/tech, and I was surprised at how quickly my legs got adjusted. At first I would go home every day with tight, aching legs but now I guess they're used to it.

It's not a big deal to stand fro 7-8 hours a day. I am a bartender and to it five days a week and go to the gym either before or after. Standing should be the least of our concens at this point.

I work at a retail pharmacy and no one gets a chance to sit down during the day. There's one chair in the corner that people will sit in for a minute if they're making a quick phone call, but for the most part we're all standing all day. I've been there since November as a clerk/tech, and I was surprised at how quickly my legs got adjusted. At first I would go home every day with tight, aching legs but now I guess they're used to it.

Are you gellin?:laugh:

i worked in a closed pharmacy for nursing homes and no one got to sit down. we did about 1100 prescriptions a day though!

Clinical pharamcists in the hospital do not have to stand that long. THey usually sit as a matter of fact entering rx. They do have to walk to the floor to make rounds but they don't stand "all-day-long".

I was curious as to whether or not pharmacists were required to stand all day long. whenever i get a Rx filled, they are standing and come to think of it, i dont think i have EVER seen them sit. This has to get tiring for an 8 hour shift, at the very least. I say why not let them be comfortable and let them sit. Less fatigue means a more productive worker. Just curious to see everyones input.

I stand all day. Keeps me from getting fat. :laugh:

Trust me, you get used to it. I've worked many 12 hour shifts before on busy days and my legs never really got tired or achey. My head was a different story....

in other words, you like to sit on your ass...perhaps you have one of these :thumbup: in the chair as well?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: if only!.....us (we??) old ladies gotta have a good time - the shift is long....whatever!:D

Aaaaah - but - I'm "clinical" - it means I don't sit much - much as I'd like to:p