standing during rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fatalis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if anyone knows some good techniques for not having their feet and knees hurt while they stand for extended periods of time. My shoes are very comfortable and I stand while bending my knees slightly yet after 5-10min of standing in one place my knees feel like they will snap! lol. Anyone have any good ideas? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Good shoes
2) Go to walmart and stand on that insole machine in the pharmacy dept and buy whatever it tells you to buy. Put that in your good shoes.
3) Get a pair of medical grade compression socks, knee high, 20-30mmHg

Those 3 are my standard, especially for OR days, but no matter what you do your feet/knees will hurt eventually. The 3 above will get me 4-6 hours standing without too much discomfort.

Sit when you can, but be aware how this can impact how you are perceived (lazy, disinterested, etc.). My personal rule of thumb is this: I sit when everyone else senior to me and any women nearby all have a place to sit first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips for females wearing heels on clinic days? Comfy brands? Please don't suggest wearing flats...I'm around average height and feel more confident and mature when I gain a couple inches, but by the afternoon my feet feel like they're going to fall off.

Any tips for females wearing heels on clinic days? Comfy brands? Please don't suggest wearing flats...I'm around average height and feel more confident and mature when I gain a couple inches, but by the afternoon my feet feel like they're going to fall off.
It's hard to recommend specific brands because it will depend on the specifics of your feet but as someone who wears heels (usually 4") in the office I have found the following to be true:

- a platform helps as it lowers the effective height of the heel

- Cole Hahn has some heels with Nike Air Cushion soles which are nice

- rounded toes tend to be more comfortable as the day goes on and your feet swell; that being said I love pointy toed shoes and I wear a lot of open toed/high heeled sandals which are mor comfortable because they allow for some swelling (but I'm the boss so I can wear whatever I want)

- try shoes on in the later afternoon or after you've been walking a lot to ascertain how they'll fit

- softer leathers have more give than patent

- expensive does not always translate to comfortable; some of my most comfortable and favorite shoes are Guess brand

- it sounds simple but honestly just feel how much padding there is in the instep; if you can easily feel the sole, your MT heads will as well

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to recommend specific brands because it will depend on the specifics of your feet but as someone who wears heels (usually 4") in the office I have found the following to be true:

- a platform helps as it lowers the effective height of the heel

- Cole Hahn has some heels with Nike Air Cushion soles which are nice

- rounded toes tend to be more comfortable as the day goes on and your feet swell; that being said I love pointy toed shoes and I wear a lot of open toed/high heeled sandals which are mor comfortable because they allow for some swelling (but I'm the boss so I can wear whatever I want)

- try shoes on in the later afternoon or after you've been walking a lot to ascertain how they'll fit

- softer leathers have more give than patent

- expensive does not always translate to comfortable; some of my most comfortable and favorite shoes are Guess brand

- it sounds simple but honestly just feel how much padding there is in the instep; if you can easily feel the sole, your MT heads will as well

Thanks for the tips :) Gonna look for the things you mentioned next time I go shopping.

And damn 4''? I'm usually limping/crawling out the door after a day in shoes that high. Maybe I'm just a wimp lol...

Thanks for the tips :)

And damn 4''? I'm usually limping/crawling out the door after a day in shoes that high. Maybe I'm just a wimp lol...

Yep, well I'm used to standing so that and my years of life guarding/swim instructing have given me soles of steel. ;) Here's my newest Sophia Walkers:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1405216396.808658.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Yep, well I'm used to standing so that and my years of life guarding/swim instructing have given me soles of steel. ;) Here's my newest Sophia Walkers: View attachment 183363

So cute! Love that color :love:

Wish I could get away with wearing colors like that on rotations haha....my pink stethoscope is prob too much already.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont get me wrong I love heels but be aware depending on the specialty and height of the shoe you will be laughed at for wearing heels. I can't imagine medicine rounds in anything over two inches.

Reactions: 2 users
Dont get me wrong I love heels but be aware depending on the specialty and height of the shoe you will be laughed at for wearing heels. I can't imagine medicine rounds in anything over two inches.

This is true. While I now wear them in the office, I never did during medical school or residency; a kitten heel at most. Otherwise it's impractical and yes, you may be laughed at. But my advice above still stands regardless of the heel height.

The shoes make a big difference with knee discomfort. Its not about having soft comfy shoes, its about the support they provide. My Calzuro and Birkenstock clogs are much more comfortable than any dress shoe or gym shoe I have tried for on your feet all day rotations.

Get DANSKOS, they add 2 inches to your height and your feet will never hurt again and they have lots of different styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Get DANKOS, they add 2 inches to your height and your feet will never hurt again and they have lots of different styles.

I cannot bear them. I've been sized properly, tried several pairs because of people like you who swear by them... and they leave me crippled and unable to stand on my aching feet within an hour or less. Every time I put a pair on.

I second what everyone else has said about the importance of good shoes. What good shoes are for a given person varies. My favorite are Anywears brand. They are like Crocs, but come with the most amazing padded insole. No pain, whatsoever, even after a long day, and they are $30 per pair. Bad news is that the insert only lasts for 45-60 days of continuous wear. Take it out and get another couple of months of comfort before you have to replace them.

Try different shoes, see what works for you.

I cannot bear them. I've been sized properly, tried several pairs because of people like you who swear by them... and they leave me crippled and unable to stand on my aching feet within an hour or less. Every time I put a pair on.

Wow, how very sad. They have saved my feet and back since med school rotations. I don't wear anything else. I agree, though, that you have to find what works for you to save the feet otherwise rotations and beyond are just miserable.

Knee braces/supports anyone? My knees are my issues and these things are the best things ever.

I'm on surgery and I have been rotating between my good walking sneakers (which fit with my orthotic, which I don't really need unless I'm walking or standing a lot) and dance sneakers. The dance sneakers felt a little better, but I'm not sure if that's because I just needed to change up the shoes I was wearing. Anyway, I thought I would throw that suggestion out there. I actually originally wore them for marching band in HS, and pulled them back out recently. They are nice because a) they have a split sole so the middle is flexible (so you can point your toes and stuff, but nice for stretching your feet or more natural walking) and b) the sole is really thick so there's a lot of cushion and a bit of a lift/"heel". I got them at a dance store. Kind-of a weird suggestion, but they are super comfortable! (Also, you don't necessarily need to wear socks with them - they are fabric shoes so comfy/absorbable without socks. I have been wearing thin socks with them lately just in case my feet were to get soaked or something.) ETA: Mine look like oxfords so they work for professional shoes too.

Last edited:
If you're willing to shell out the money, a custom molded orthotic from a podiatrist would be a good bet since you can slip them into any shoe you like.

I love Alegria and Birkenstock. The Alegrias come in wide as well so that is an option as well. Good straight out of the box too. Birks take a few weeks to break in. But once they do, they are amazing.