Stanford IM resident taking questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha fair enough, my bad. I forgot to turn on my sarcasm detection app.
I don't think there is one. You should quit medicine and found a startup to make one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there is one. You should quit medicine and found a startup to make one.

How would one even do that?! That sounds unfeasible and, by and large, preposterous.

;)

How does Stanford view applicants from other regions of the US? Aka are they a program that takes their home applicants and disregards away rotations, or will an away rotation help at Stanford?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for my friend who is trying to rank her list of IM program.
What is the CAP number of pts on IM month and ICU month?

How does Stanford view applicants from other regions of the US? Aka are they a program that takes their home applicants and disregards away rotations, or will an away rotation help at Stanford?

Away rotations are unlikely to help to increase odds of ranking highly, and if you perform poorly are likely to harm. Come to determine for your yourself if the program is the right fit for you.

Stanford residents come from all over the country. The website lists the med schools of current residents.

20 (10 per intern)
Thanks. That confirms what my friends told me. Your program is a cush one. 10 is like a walk in the park compared to other programs. Good luck

10 is pretty standard at many of the programs I interviewed at last year, some of which are considered among the more demanding academic IM programs in the country. I'd wager carrying 10 complex patients at an academic referral center is harder than 20 patients admitted to a community hospital with pneumonia.

10 is pretty standard at many of the programs I interviewed at last year, some of which are considered among the more demanding academic IM programs in the country. I'd wager carrying 10 complex patients at an academic referral center is harder than 20 patients admitted to a community hospital with pneumonia.
Agreed - this is actually an ACGME requirement:
See I.A.2.h).(6).(c) [The sponsoring institution and participating sites must provide the resources to ensure the implementation of the following: on inpatient rotations:] a first-year resident must not be responsible for the ongoing care of more than 10 patients

2017 Fellowship Match:
Allergy/Immunology - Michigan
Cardiology - Beth Israel Deaconess
Cardiology - Colorado
Cardiology - Johns Hopkins
Cardiology - Mt. Sinai
Cardiology - Stanford
Cardiology - Stanford
Cardiology - UCDavis
Cardiology - Utah
Cardiology - Utah
Cardiology - Vanderbilt
Cardiology - Washington U
Gastroenterology - Stanford
Gastroenterology - UT Southwestern
Geriatrics - Stanford
Hematology / Oncology - Columbia
Hematology / Oncology - Mt. Sinai
Hematology / Oncology - Stanford
Hematology / Oncology - U of Washington
Infectious Diseases - Stanford
Infectious Diseases - Stanford
Palliative Care - Stanford
Palliative Care - UCSF
Rheumatology - MGH
Rheumatology - Stanford
Rheumatology - Stanford
Rheumatology - UCLA

Not specific to Stanford, but I've wanted to ask a someone at a top program this. Kind of loaded question, but honesty is appreciated. Do you feel like there is any correlation between residency performance and medical school tier? Honest question, I'll likely end up slightly above the tier of my med school if all goes well and I'm wondering if I need to bulk up on xCU, nephrology/ID, etc. months.

Not specific to Stanford, but I've wanted to ask a someone at a top program this. Kind of loaded question, but honesty is appreciated. Do you feel like there is any correlation between residency performance and medical school tier? Honest question, I'll likely end up slightly above the tier of my med school if all goes well and I'm wondering if I need to bulk up on xCU, nephrology/ID, etc. months.
If anything, it's an inverse correlation. A lot of the students at the "Top X" programs are barely allowed to look at patients, let alone actually do anything.

But generally speaking, no.

If anything, it's an inverse correlation. A lot of the students at the "Top X" programs are barely allowed to look at patients, let alone actually do anything.

But generally speaking, no.
Agree. It's just how like your performance in med school isn't really impacted by where you went to undergrad. It's much more to do with the type of person you are and not the building you happened to be in.