Stanford: Nicest Rejection Letter !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the final word from Stanford and even tho I am disappointed not to be flying out to CA, :( I have to say it was the nicest rejection letter I have received so far. And may I just add, I have received quite a few by now ... :D

Anyone with me on this? I was totally ok to be rejected in such a nice manner. Unlike Downstate's horrible letter ...

Members don't see this ad.

Did it say something along the line of "It's very highly likely that you'll be accepted to another medical school of high quality education"?? ;)

Boston U had a much better rejection letter.

What was downstate's rejection letter like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, no it didn't say that I'd be going somewhere else equally cool, but it did say stuff like: We thought your application was totally awesome, and you had great letters of reference and very interesting experience, but we're a small school so no offense if we didn't even interview you.

I don't have it with me in the library, but it just went on about how they thought I (and everyone else who gets it I guess) was a really great candidate and that was nice to read. Oh, and they said: we appreciate how hard you worked to get to this point and we appreciate your patience with our process over the past few months. Honestly, the nicest rejection yet. I might write them back and thank them for such a nice letter. What the heck!

Well, Downstate's said something like: Okay, so we rejected you. But don't call us, or write to us asking us why because we won't tell you. You were rejected for one of the following five reasons - 1) gpa 2) mcat 3) weak letters of ref 4) something else along these lines, and 5) we just thought your application stank.

Yow!

Originally posted by Rendar5
Boston U had a much better rejection letter.

What was downstate's rejection letter like?

agreed. downstates was obnoxious

wow. maybe I should send them an obnoxious rejection letter. tell them I'm rejecting them because of the mean letters they sent out.

Originally posted by Paws
I just got the final word from Stanford and even tho I am disappointed not to be flying out to CA, :( I have to say it was the nicest rejection letter I have received so far. And may I just add, I have received quite a few by now ... :D

Anyone with me on this? I was totally ok to be rejected in such a nice manner. Unlike Downstate's horrible letter ...

I agree that Stanford's rejection letter is nicer than many others, but it's not that nice. I felt that it basically said, "you're a pretty good applicant, but not good enough for us because many of our other applicants are better than you." I can't quote the letter exactly because I already ripped it up into many small pieces.

haha...as a cal student and because stanfurd holds that special place in my heart as my first rejection, i was not impressed by the letter. go bears.

Originally posted by clowne
I agree that Stanford's rejection letter is nicer than many others, but it's not that nice. I felt that it basically said, "you're a pretty good applicant, but not good enough for us because many of our other applicants are better than you." I can't quote the letter exactly because I already ripped it up into many small pieces.

This was my opinion of UCSF's rejection letter. Oh you are qualified and we know you'll get in somewhere but we have like 35 applicants vying for each spot and you just weren't good enuff.
It hurt the most cuz it was my first one...but I have got used to them now. I guess a nicer letter would somewhat soften the blow.

Originally posted by somekevinguy
go bears.

Grrrrah, grrrah, ggrrrrrrr-rrrrrr-rrrrrrAH!

:D

NOt to be cynical, but besides making you feel not as bad, having a nice rejection letter will DETER people from calling to complain or appeal the decision. I mean, I can see people appealing the decision even more if they get pissed at the wording of the rejection letter.

Oh well, I got post-interview rejection from Stanford, and mine literaly says, "It's very highly likely that you'll get accepted to another medical school of high quality education" or something like that.

On one hand, you can look at it as them being diplomatic, but I really think it serves a more functional purpose instead (Deter people to appeal decisions)

I like my rejection letters that basically said, "There were sure a lot of applicants this year and we got really bogged down with all of them. We bet you are a great applicant, but we really didn't have any time to address your application. Our application season is ending soon, so we won't be persuing your application any further. Thanks" What the crap did I pay $80 for? So you could sit on my app and then reject me, why don't you just slap me in the face.

Originally posted by oasis786
Grrrrah, grrrah, ggrrrrrrr-rrrrrr-rrrrrrAH!

:D

rock on!

go bears!

damn stanfurd....yeah the letter wasnt that great...BU had more entertainment value.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't there a guy who got rejected from every single school and put his rejections up on his website?

He got rejected from every school and applied at least twice. It's actually pretty sad to read his website. He gave up on becoming a doctor and seems pretty unhappy in computer stuff, if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by sinnah83
This was my opinion of UCSF's rejection letter. Oh you are qualified and we know you'll get in somewhere but we have like 35 applicants vying for each spot and you just weren't good enuff.
It hurt the most cuz it was my first one...but I have got used to them now. I guess a nicer letter would somewhat soften the blow.

I hung mine from UCSF on my refrigerator. It was the first definite answer I recieved.;)

Ok i am thread hijacking here (sorry) but i found the website. He didn't apply to every school but he did apply to a good number.

For those interested : http://www.i8u.org/index.html

none of those are DO schools or Carribean schools, are they?

Originally posted by Rendar5
none of those are DO schools or Carribean schools, are they?

Well I think for some people it's either U.S. MD Degree or not at all. I know a friend who hasn't got any interview at M.D. schools this year and I STRONGLY suggested her to go for U.S. DO schools before going to the Carribeans next year, but she almost sounded like she'd rather goto the Carribeans and get a M.D. instead of staying in the U.S. to get a D.O.

Originally posted by Tezzie
Ok i am thread hijacking here (sorry) but i found the website. He didn't apply to every school but he did apply to a good number.

For those interested : http://www.i8u.org/index.html

I read his website a few months ago and initially felt extremely bad for him but then I noticed strange things...like his domain name: say it out loud---I 8 U sounds a lot like I h8 you = I hate you? Did anyone else notice this? Perhaps it's just a strange sense of humor or there's no meaning at all and it's just a bad coincidence but I can see someone wiht a sense of humor like this rubbing intervewers the wrong way.

I noticed that.

Here's why I have no sympathy: he applied in 3 different years, yet never went to what should have been his last resorts of DO or FMG in his final year of applying. No offense to anyone by calling DO a last resort. But in the mind of someone who doesn't respect them for whatever reason, it should be their last resort at the very least.

Do people actually bother to appeal rejections? I didn't think med schools would ever bother to reverse a rejection. Think about it this way, in their eyes, most of the 1000 interviewee are qualified and they are merely nitpicking. It makes little difference to them who they reject since everyone is easily replaceable. They are definetly not going to break a sweat about rejecting someone by accident.

At one of the SUNY's a few years back, rumor has it that someone appealed a rejection on the basis of age discrimination (the applicant was a senior citizen or something) and won after threatening a lawsuit. I heard it from a med student in this guy's class, but I cannot vouch for its truth.

anyone who writes the adcom thanking them for a nice rejection letter needs a wet slap in the face. what kind of sunshine, gummi-bear world are you living in? THEY DIDNT WANT YOU.

there was this one (don't remember been some time) that said:

"there is absolutely no possibility for us to offer u a spot"

like dayam, don't even, try to to appeal

like wtf ???