Stanford Rejection Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincetonRocks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are they looking for? I didn't think I was really qualified for Stanford admissions, but not even an interview? That's so defeating!

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch...guess the Princeton name didn't help too much here...

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
Ouch...guess the Princeton name didn't help too much here...

That was uncalled for. Then again, I guess us SDNers should get used to 100% of your posts being nonsense by now. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PrincetonRocks!,

Don't worry...you have an interview at UCSF!!...which is also great. So, don't worry about hitting all the top schools. I am sure you'll get into some place you'll enjoy being for the next 4 years. CHEER UP!

-Harps

no stanford interview for me either. didn't really bother me, though.

I can't possibly expect to get one but I haven't been rejected yet!

hey guys-

if you don't mind posting. when were you complete (does stanford email you or just check status page?), and when did you receive rejection? I guess the good thing is that they are quick and don't leave you hanging.

bonnie

Yea I'm anxious about Stanford too...At least one person on SDN said he/she got the interview invitation through snail mail last week.

BTW, Dr. Kevin, you applied to 38 schools?? Whoa! I know this one girl who applied to 44 schools and I was stunned...that must be a huge amount of $$$

Originally posted by Harps
Hey PrincetonRocks!,

Don't worry...you have an interview at UCSF!!...which is also great. So, don't worry about hitting all the top schools. I am sure you'll get into some place you'll enjoy being for the next 4 years. CHEER UP!

-Harps

Exactly!
It is possible that the Princess had lost the game even before it started. She could have had a much more fun in Las Vegas, Atlantic City or even a similar deal in an Indian's territory. No one can beat the house in Palo Alto!

In other words, I have a feeling that Stanford treats his applicants as if they were applying for an employment. The successful ones are usually those who can help the team win, immediately.

Also, any one rejection appears to be a lifetime deal over there. There is no need for anyone to look for an encore.

Stanford has a very small class and accepts very few off the waitlist. They will therefore inevitably reject many qualified applicants. Don't feel too bad.

Originally posted by missbonnie
hey guys-

if you don't mind posting. when were you complete (does stanford email you or just check status page?), and when did you receive rejection? I guess the good thing is that they are quick and don't leave you hanging.

bonnie

Quick? I wish! My file was complete on Sept. 8 and still no word. The dean visited my school and told us that we'll hear about interviews or rejections any time between now and February...nothing to do with how early we get our apps in either. I guess you can say no news is good news, but in reality, no news just means they haven't gotten to your app yet.

PrincetonRocks - don't worry about it...you sound like a very qualified applicant, so it's Stanford's loss. :)

Originally posted by calebho501
Yea I'm anxious about Stanford too...At least one person on SDN said he/she got the interview invitation through snail mail last week.

Too many top brains want to drain to Cali? Good!

At least Stanford should be able to interview a Cali girl like Rockie.

One of the succesful case (at Stanford last year) that I have heard of is an Iranian (by way of Germany) with 4.0 sub 30 and extensive research experiences. This girl not only beats out other creams of the UCD crop at Stanford, but also threatend them at other prestigious institute such as Harvard....etc. I don't have further detail though.

Are you a top athlete? Can you assist teaching? I am not sure if I should ask if your mother-in-law is on the Adcoms over there though.

stanfUrd wants people that fit that new curriculum of theirs...

but i got rejected from stanfUrd and i dont mind mostly because i went to berkeley for my undergrad.....and also because davis gave me an invite hehe.

but yeah princetonrocks....you got inteviews from the way cooler ucsf and the other "farm" school at davis! hehe. so you still kickass in my eyes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gleevec
That was uncalled for. Then again, I guess us SDNers should get used to 100% of your posts being nonsense by now. :rolleyes:

That wasn't meant to be a malicious comment against the OP at all. Guess you were too braindead to realize that. I was just noting that Stanford is turning away yet another great applicant (I think she posted her stats before..and they were pretty high), from a great undergraduate institution. Personally...I would've thought that the Princeton name would have at least opened up the door to the interview (assuming that everything else was solid...ECs, clinical experience, etc). However...my assumption was wrong.

To the OP: Despite the misinterpretation by the braindead (it's ok..he's from Duke...it's understandable), my comment was not meant to be harsh at all. I'm positive you'll still get admitted to a great med school and I wish you the best of luck. StanfUrd is never predictable and I think they are looking for ultra-specific qualities in their applicants (beyond the stats that is).

BerkeleyPremed you're such a troll. :rolleyes:

P.S. "braindead" is not one word. You might want to assess your own intelligence before insulting that of someone else. :rolleyes:

I got rejected from Stanford pre-secondary. I wasn't really expecting an interview, but I figured my numbers were close enough to their averages to at least warrant some notice (and that's pretty much all they go by for deciding to send secondaries, right?). Apparently, I was mistaken. At least it saved me the money of sending in a secondary.

I am still waiting for Stanford also. To be quite honest though, i have visited Stanfords med school and i found very unimpressive. A lot of people seem to refer to Stanford as a Yale wannabe.

Anyhow from what i understand, Stanford cares A LOT about research. Most of the people that i know of that are in Stanford med school had awesome publications.

Tezzie - I'm with you there. I didn't visit the school, but from what I've heard of it, it's not the ideal place a lot of people make it out to be. I'm definitely not a fan of the curriculum changes at all. That said, I'd still be happy to get an interview and check the place out for myself.

Ahhh thanks everybody for the words of encouragement. I've heard great things about Stanford..and i don't think it's a fair assessment to say that Stanford is a Yale copy cat is fair. Honestly, I am not sad about this rejection at all...it just means that Stanford feels I'm not suited for its program, which is totally fine. I still have SD and University of Chicago as of now...

Originally posted by missbonnie
hey guys-

bonnie

complete august 26, rejected october 20

I have also heard of that "Iranian" girl who got into Stanford with NOT A 4.0 (can't round up GPAs ppl) and NOT with a sub-30...but with a VERY SUB-30 score.

In fact, this person did not even receive an interview from a SINGLE UC...hmmm...then she got into HarvUrd and StanfUrd...make you wonder...hahhahah.

BTW in my opinion StanfUrd is the best school in the country because of its location (UCSF is on a hill and covered in fog like 4 days out of the week and is COLD--dreary stuff), financial aid, research, small class size (70 vs. UCSF 140), and a great undergraduate institution (to some it doesn't matter).

-DE

princeoton rocks,
sorry about the bad news at S. it sounds like you are cleaning up on the interview circuit though. congrats!

in response to some pm's, i was one of those people lucky enough to get an interview at stanford. i was complete in late aug, got the invite via snail mail last week (dunno teh exact day since i was away all of last week). i actually found out earlier since i called the office the week before to try to coordinate interviews since i was coming out to CA for another interview. while the office was a little grumpy, they did help out with this and i scheduled the interview (mid nov) over the phone.

btw, i have been rejected (well they said I wasn't "chosen" for an interview when i called for my status) by hopkins and i haven't heard anything from hms and several other "name brand" schools so the process seems pretty chancy at times! good luck!

Loomis you said that you done a lot of research though, right?

Btw Stanfords facilities are definately not up to par with all the other namebrad schools (Hopkins/Harvard/WashU/etc).

Just like PianoGrrl said though, i would love to receive an interview and see the school for myself (hopefully soon since i already got an interview invite from UCSF and don't want to fly to SFO twice :p)

That wasn't meant to be a malicious comment against the OP at all. Guess you were too braindead to realize that. I was just noting that Stanford is turning away yet another great applicant (I think she posted her stats before..and they were pretty high), from a great undergraduate institution. Personally...I would've thought that the Princeton name would have at least opened up the door to the interview (assuming that everything else was solid...ECs, clinical experience, etc). However...my assumption was wrong.

To the OP: Despite the misinterpretation by the braindead (it's ok..he's from Duke...it's understandable), my comment was not meant to be harsh at all. I'm positive you'll still get admitted to a great med school and I wish you the best of luck. StanfUrd is never predictable and I think they are looking for ultra-specific qualities in their applicants (beyond the stats that is).

Dont lie, your post was obviously not intended to give any kind of support to Princeton at all

"Ouch...guess the Princeton name didn't help too much here."

Gimme a break, that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Braindead? Whatever troll, no one buys your BS, and your attempt to lie to cover your trail in this thread has been exposed once again. N00b.

Dont lie, your post was obviously not intended to give any kind of support to Princeton at all

"Ouch...guess the Princeton name didn't help too much here."

Gimme a break, that's just rubbing salt in the wound.

Braindead? Whatever troll, no one buys your BS, and your attempt to lie to cover your trail in this thread has been exposed once again. N00b.

You are such a blithering idiot. And no...you don't know the intention of my post more than I do...lol. Why would I try to rub salt in the wound? What motivation do I have? What has this poster ever done to me? :rolleyes: This is almost as stupid as the thread where you tried to bash my organization (using your faulty logic) by stating that I think everyone in CA that goes to a college that is not UC Berkeley is inferior. :rolleyes: lol...It was funny that you'd even say that because it's so utterly ridiculous. Yes..I did mention that student quality should play a role in choosing with schools to apply to...I've worked with kids who got SAT 1 scores around 1000....would I tell them to apply to Stanford, UCLA, etc? No..would I tell them that they still have a great shot at getting into a California State University where they can get a solid education for a fraction of the price? Yes.

Why would I think students are inferior to me based on SAT scores? Your argument made absolutely no sense...you basically said...if Applicant A scores less on the SAT than applicant B...BerkeleyPremed must think Applicant A is inferior to Applicant B. "Inferior" is a value judgment you placed on people...not me. Now stop putting words into my mouth and trying twist my posts into something they're not...your debate skills are pretty pathetic.

tezz
yes, i did lots of research, so i guess that helped pitch me to stanford. btw, i was in teh same situation as you were in...i heard from ucsf first..then i called stanford and asked them if any movement had been made on my app. they were able to schedule the interview on teh phone (you get a online scheduling thin via snail mail when you get the actual interview but you won't have to do that if obviously). so, you should give stanford a buzz to see if they can help you out. good luck!

Originally posted by Tezzie
Loomis you said that you done a lot of research though, right?

Btw Stanfords facilities are definately not up to par with all the other namebrad schools (Hopkins/Harvard/WashU/etc).

Just like PianoGrrl said though, i would love to receive an interview and see the school for myself (hopefully soon since i already got an interview invite from UCSF and don't want to fly to SFO twice :p)

I called up Stanford today but they said my app is still under review. However, the lady offered me to email her the dates that I can do the interview, and she'll see if she can accomodate. If you guys have UCSF interviews coming up, you may wanna do the same too.

I didn't apply to UCSF but I just wanna do the interview before I go out of country in Mid-Dec.

You are such a blithering idiot. And no...you don't know the intention of my post more than I do...lol. Why would I try to rub salt in the wound? What motivation do I have? What has this poster ever done to me? :rolleyes: This is almost as stupid as the thread where you tried to bash my organization (using your faulty logic) by stating that I think everyone in CA that goes to a college that is not UC Berkeley is inferior. :rolleyes: lol...It was funny that you'd even say that because it's so utterly ridiculous. Yes..I did mention that student quality should play a role in choosing with schools to apply to...I've worked with kids who got SAT 1 scores around 1000....would I tell them to apply to Stanford, UCLA, etc? No..would I tell them that they still have a great shot at getting into a California State University where they can get a solid education for a fraction of the price? Yes.

Why would I think students are inferior to me based on SAT scores? Your argument made absolutely no sense...you basically said...if Applicant A scores less on the SAT than applicant B...BerkeleyPremed must think Applicant A is inferior to Applicant B. "Inferior" is a value judgment you placed on people...not me. Now stop putting words into my mouth and trying twist my posts into something they're not...your debate skills are pretty pathetic.

Stop trying to talk your way out of the problems you create. And dont pretend as if you are suddenly trying to support someone when you are merely insulting them.

But since you lack basic reading comprehension, critical analysis, and social skills, let me put this in context.

Lets say SDNer X gets rejected from said school, and that person attends Z University, and that this association is known.

Now lets say someone who has disparaged several schools in the US (namely UCLA) as having inferior students and has shown a general contempt to common decency replies saying: "Ouch...guess the Z University name didn't help too much here... "

How in heck is that SUPPORTIVE of anyone? How does that imply that they are a good applicant? Frankly you are so warped I dont care what you have to say BerkeleyPremed, but I ask everyone else, how would you like somone, after you have been rejected from a school that you would want to go to, to say "Ouch...guess the <insert your undergraduate school here> name didn't help too much here..." As if school name is the only thing that could get you in, and yet that didnt even work out?

Cut the crud BerkeleyPremed and stop lying through everything. Youre a complete troll and utter tool.

In any case, PrincetonRocks, dont worry too much about Stanford or what jealous trolls like BerkeleyPremed say, its definitely Stanford's loss that they didnt interview you, and from what I have heard about you, you are going to get into several awesome places! Good luck PrincetonRocks! :clap:

Stop trying to talk your way out of the problems you create. And dont pretend as if you are suddenly trying to support someone when you are merely insulting them.

But since you lack basic reading comprehension, critical analysis, and social skills, let me put this in context.

Lets say SDNer X gets rejected from said school, and that person attends Z University, and that this association is known.

Now lets say someone who has disparaged several schools in the US (namely UCLA) as having inferior students and has shown a general contempt to common decency replies saying: "Ouch...guess the Z University name didn't help too much here... "

How in heck is that SUPPORTIVE of anyone? How does that imply that they are a good applicant? Frankly you are so warped I dont care what you have to say BerkeleyPremed, but I ask everyone else, how would you like somone, after you have been rejected from a school that you would want to go to, to say "Ouch...guess the <insert your undergraduate school here> name didn't help too much here..." As if school name is the only thing that could get you in, and yet that didnt even work out?

Cut the crud BerkeleyPremed and stop lying through everything. Youre a complete troll and utter tool.

In any case, PrincetonRocks, dont worry too much about Stanford or what jealous trolls like BerkeleyPremed say, its definitely Stanford's loss that they didnt interview you, and from what I have heard about you, you are going to get into several awesome places! Good luck PrincetonRocks! :clap:

"Talk my way out of the problems I create..."..oh..you must mean that I prove you wrong about every single time you decide to bash one of my posts. I definitely proved you wrong in other thread where you try to bash my organization..and I definitely proved you wrong here. The rest of the drivel you posted is pretty worthless so I won't even waste time with it. Have fun at Duke.

Originally posted by dEEpEyEs
................. and a great undergraduate institution (to some it doesn't matter).

-DE

Thanks, for the clarification. And if I may ask some question about undergrad............ Which one would you choose, a Regent Scholarship at one of the top four UCs or Stanford?

Anyone?

Originally posted by calcrew14
Thanks, for the clarification. And if I may ask some question about undergrad............ Which one would you choose, a Regent Scholarship at one of the top four UCs or Stanford?

Anyone?

I had that choice, and chose Stanford. I've had the best four years of my life, met amazing people, and haven't regretted the choice for a second (even with the additional cost of Stanford). I can't compare the medical school to others, but the undergrad is among the best, at least as far as my experience goes. But, with any decision about schools, the school has to fit you (By the way, even though I go to Stanford, I love Berkeley and think its a great school).

stanford, if you could afford it on top of the Regents. they give pretty great financial aid if you need it.

hmm.. ok my official answer is "if you know what you want to go into, and it's something that has a special special program at another UC (architecture, civil engineering.. i can't think of others) i would seriously consider that UC program." But all in all if you're undecided, stanford has it great all around and whatever you find yourself interested in, you can bet to find a renowned leader in that field at stanford.

also, you'll meet people from all over the country and world; an education in itself... contact base....

take all of this with a grain of salt b/c i was not a UC resident and never had to make that specific decision, but i did go there for undergrad.

good luck with that

Originally posted by 411
I had that choice, and chose Stanford. I've had the best four years of my life, met amazing people, and haven't regretted the choice for a second (even with the additional cost of Stanford). I can't compare the medical school to others, but the undergrad is among the best, at least as far as my experience goes. But, with any decision about schools, the school has to fit you (By the way, even though I go to Stanford, I love Berkeley and think its a great school).

I had the exact same choice and chose the money.

Over a period of 4 years I :

a) Saved over 110k in tuition

b) Gained the ability to use the savings for my undergrad education towards my post grad work, allowing me to go to
any med school i chose regardless of financial aid.

c) Have a better quality of life (apt, car, etc)

d) Have something to say in the interviews when the "why did you go there for undergrad?" question drops.

Yea...i'd have to agree. I got full rides to berkeley and irvine, but I chose stanford too. it's really a matter of personal preference. stanford is a liberal arts institution, so i was able to study bio, go abroad and pursue my art history interests, while doing the whole volunteering research thing. If what you are looking for is a practical curriculum, rather than theory based, then go to a UC. For example, our art depart's practical arts suck...i.e. animation, while theory such as art history remains strong. Check out the departments for what you are interested in. If you are thinking of being premed, make sure you look at other programs that you can shift to in case you decide that medicine is not right for you...if you're unsure, it might be better to go to a school like stanford where you have the leeway to be undecided and shop lots of classes. At the UC's, you have to plan out your classes in advance and stuff like...more hassle. Good luck to you and I wish you the best of luck in finding an undergraduate institution that makes you happy. :p

Tezzie,

Sounds like you made a decision that was right for you. I'm definitely glad I chose Stanford, and hope to go to a UC for medical school, not only because they are cheaper (and in some cases better), but also because it is a different experience. The one thing I can say about Stanford undergrad and Stanford med is that the students are about the happiest I have seen at any undergrad/med I have visited/interviewed at.

bump...any more word from stanford? still anxiously waiting here:D

Medhopefull call them. I did exactly what loomis told me to do and it worked out :)

thanks for the advice, tezzie!

did u tell them that u'll be in the area?

good luck with the rest of your interviews!

congrats, tezzie! hope you have fun out there. i'm heading out there in 2 weeks; i'll try to remember to post my thoughts on interviewfeeback when I get back...for anyone who is interested

Medhopefull call them. I did exactly what loomis told me to do and it worked out :)

Thanx :)

Yeah i told them that i have an interview offer from UCSF. I also told them that both my schedule and my finances have been slaughtered from my past interviews and i won't be able to fly to SFO twice. So i asked if any updates have been done on my file. The lady on the phone was very understanding and said that a lot of students seem to have the exact same problem.

I am ultra psyched because i love the San Francisco area and i am looking forward to it ;)

awesome. glad to hear the office was nice. they actually called me last week to check if i was renting a car since one of my interviews is gonna be out in the VA. pretty nice of them...even offered to help schedule competitive rental rates!

PS sorry to all if we've turned this thread into a stanford interviewees thread!! :p
Thanx :)

Yeah i told them that i have an interview offer from UCSF. I also told them that both my schedule and my finances have been slaughtered from my past interviews and i won't be able to fly to SFO twice. So i asked if any updates have been done on my file. The lady on the phone was very understanding and said that a lot of students seem to have the exact same problem.

I am ultra psyched because i love the San Francisco area and i am looking forward to it ;)

I haven't received anything from Stanford after the secondary invite. Are they sending out both rejections and interview invites?

yes. it took me roughly a month to hear back post sec/complete letters. good luck!
Originally posted by Giving My .02
I haven't received anything from Stanford after the secondary invite. Are they sending out both rejections and interview invites?

I was comple at Stanford in mid-August. it's been like 2.5 months now and i haven't heard anything back from them post-secondary. Anyone know what's going on/in the same situation with Stanford?

I was rejected pre-secondary "and" my brother is on staff. Talk about a f### up situation. I can't wait to tell him I got into a better school. :cool:

Originally posted by donuthole
I was comple at Stanford in mid-August. it's been like 2.5 months now and i haven't heard anything back from them post-secondary. Anyone know what's going on/in the same situation with Stanford?

Same situation: yes (complete since 9/8)
Know what's going on: no :(

Still waiting, but I guess no news is good news...

Stanford, where art thou?

:( complete since mid-september.:confused:

I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you guys. My secondary was complete last Sept. but it took till Feb. for a rejection, or was it March?