Stanford, VCU, U Minn for Academics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RangerBob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find too much info on the above three programs (though there's an ok amount reviewing Stanford),and was wondering if any one of those programs would give a particular edge to someone who is considering a career in academic medicine (I'd be really interested in working at a VA affiliated with an academic center).

All three programs are affiliated with VAs with polytrauma units (the only other one is in Tampa) and are also three of the seven VAs designated as regional amputation centers. These are two things I'm very interested in (add in SCI, general inpt rehap, and MSK, and you got the things that interest me the most about PM&R).

Right now to me they all seem roughly equal in terms of prestige, so the only thing I can really think of that differentiate the programs, is at VCU, Dr. Dave Cifu is the National Director for PM&R Services for the VA. So he probably wouldn't be too bad a guy to know for a future physiatrist interested in working for the VA...

If anyone else has any opinions, aside from which program may better prepare me for academia. I realize the "Top 5" programs I interviewed at may open the most doors, but I'd really like to hear people's opinions about these three programs since I can't find much info on them. And if anyone has other comments about those programs I'd love to hear them, as it's hard to get to know a program after just a dinner and a ~6-hr interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't forget San Antonio -- they also are a part of that group of programs that have VA affiliated polytrauma units.

From talking with other residents and attendings, out of the 3 programs you mentioned, I'd say VCU has the most "prestige". I actually really liked VCU on my interview day. They have one of the best mentorship programs in the country. And as you alluded to with Dr. Cifu, VCU has a lot of people in the leadership ranks of PM&R -- connections with policymakers, academic leaders, etc. If you play basketball you'd fit right into the program since VCU has a strong rec bball team :) If i remember correctly, one of the PGY4s there has a job lined up starting an SCI program at the VA in Minnesota.

I'm in the same boat as you, so I'm sure other people on here will be able to provide more insight, but just thought I'd share some of my notes from VCU.

I didn't realize San Antonio had a unit. I could have sworn the last time I checked http://www.polytrauma.va.gov/system-of-care/care-facilities/ it only listed four polytrauma units...

Hmm... I'm actually quite terrible at basketball. To the point that you would want me on the other team to sabotage them. Hopefully they won't count that against me when it comes to ranking applicants :)

Don't forget San Antonio -- they also are a part of that group of programs that have VA affiliated polytrauma units.

From talking with other residents and attendings, out of the 3 programs you mentioned, I'd say VCU has the most "prestige". I actually really liked VCU on my interview day. They have one of the best mentorship programs in the country. And as you alluded to with Dr. Cifu, VCU has a lot of people in the leadership ranks of PM&R -- connections with policymakers, academic leaders, etc. If you play basketball you'd fit right into the program since VCU has a strong rec bball team :) If i remember correctly, one of the PGY4s there has a job lined up starting an SCI program at the VA in Minnesota.

I'm in the same boat as you, so I'm sure other people on here will be able to provide more insight, but just thought I'd share some of my notes from VCU.

UT San Antonio does have a VA polytrauma unit that opened in 2011 and they recruited one of the polytrauma/TBI fellows from VCU to help run the polytrauma program and also recently hired a TBI physician researcher to build their research program. It seems as if they are building a solid program with some great young faculty.