Stanford Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What happened to you after your interview at Stanford, and what will you do?

• I was accepted, and I will attend.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I was accepted, but I will probably not attend.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I was accepted, but I will definitely not attend.

• I was waitlisted and Stanford is my #1 pick, if accepted I'll go.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I was waitlisted and Stanford is in my top 3 picks.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I was waitlsited, and I'm going to/have withdrawn.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I was rejected post-interview.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending good energy to y'all. There was movement June 25th last year I do believe. So don't give up hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MDeast-- couple questions:
1) By "movement June 25" last year, what do you mean? how did you hear this? In other years there has been movement (meaning one at a time) until the day before class starts. Do you mean a "wave of admits" in late June?

2) From what you can gather on FB, etc, is the class full? Anyone else you know of waiting to hear from other wait lists and will go to those schools over their spot at Stanford if admitted?

3) Anything else you can gather?

Let us know what you think! :)

MDeast-- couple questions:
1) By "movement June 25" last year, what do you mean? how did you hear this? In other years there has been movement (meaning one at a time) until the day before class starts. Do you mean a "wave of admits" in late June?

2) From what you can gather on FB, etc, is the class full? Anyone else you know of waiting to hear from other wait lists and will go to those schools over their spot at Stanford if admitted?

3) Anything else you can gather?

Let us know what you think! :)

(1) I think all movement right now is the "trickle" variety at all medical schools. A student last year got in off the waitlist around this week. That was the last acceptance on SDN.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=549411&page=11

(2) I don't think the FB # has changed in the last week or so. 76 members currently.

(3) ? Don't know anything else.

Good luck! I wish I could offer more advice.

Thanks MDeast,

I heard from another friend on the wait list that just today he got an e-mail from Greg Vaughn stating that "the class of 86 students has been filled". So...I suppose that is expected though, as what medical school would be leaving empty spots at this point? They need to fill the classes. The "trickle" movement happens as people withdraw, shuffle around,etc.

Might you be able to pose a question on the internal FB group that asks if people are thinking of other schools, or are still on other WLs? That would be really helpful...usually there are several students waiting on others...?

Hope you are having a great summer!

Thanks MDeast,

I heard from another friend on the wait list that just today he got an e-mail from Greg Vaughn stating that "the class of 86 students has been filled". So...I suppose that is expected though, as what medical school would be leaving empty spots at this point? They need to fill the classes. The "trickle" movement happens as people withdraw, shuffle around,etc.

Might you be able to pose a question on the internal FB group that asks if people are thinking of other schools, or are still on other WLs? That would be really helpful...usually there are several students waiting on others...?

Hope you are having a great summer!

I'll leave my fellow classmates with their anonymity in keeping their options open without telling us they are :) I've officially withdrawn everywhere, so I know for one that I'm not changing anything up. Given that most top schools now seem to have dwindled down, I'd expect there to be subsequently little movement at other schools that traditionally draw Stanford students away (UCSF, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, etc.).

At this point, I think patience is a virtue but you should DEFINITELY move on with other plans. Orientation starts in about 7 weeks at Stanford. I'm sure it's similar at most other places. Just get excited about where you ARE going next year. If things change with Stanford....GREAT! If they don't, we'll all be successful no matter where we end up.

To be honest, I'm more excited about the journey of med school (any med school for that matter!) than anything else right now.

I'll leave my fellow classmates with their anonymity in keeping their options open without telling us they are :) I've officially withdrawn everywhere, so I know for one that I'm not changing anything up. Given that most top schools now seem to have dwindled down, I'd expect there to be subsequently little movement at other schools that traditionally draw Stanford students away (UCSF, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, etc.).

At this point, I think patience is a virtue but you should DEFINITELY move on with other plans. Orientation starts in about 7 weeks at Stanford. I'm sure it's similar at most other places. Just get excited about where you ARE going next year. If things change with Stanford....GREAT! If they don't, we'll all be successful no matter where we end up.

To be honest, I'm more excited about the journey of med school (any med school for that matter!) than anything else right now.

Ya I agree, I think at this point chances of getting in are slim to none. A bit bummed but I can't complain. Even without Stanford, it was an unexpectedly great cycle for me. UCLA here I come~

Any more news anyone? About stanford or about anywhere else??

Any thoughts?

:confused::confused::confused::eek::eek::sleep::sleep::thumbup::thumbup:

I'd say it's probably done. If you look at other comparable schools, little waitlist movement has been occurring as well...so it largely looks like the big shuffle is over. That being said, I know someone recently joined the Facebook group. But, I probably imagine it was someone who just recently discovered it rather than a new admit.

Where is everybody going regardless? Pitt, right...for wolfie?

In the end, I think we can all just be excited for the next 4 years. I just went to a lecture from a 55 year-old MD/PhD who recounted his years of bouncing around between academia, clinical practice, foundation work, pharmaceutical industry work, even hospital administration. Got me excited about all the exciting directions our lives will be taking over the decades to come. And, the re-assuring idea that sometimes you never even really have to make up your mind about what you want to do. It's all about the journey.

I'd say it's probably done. If you look at other comparable schools, little waitlist movement has been occurring as well...so it largely looks like the big shuffle is over. That being said, I know someone recently joined the Facebook group. But, I probably imagine it was someone who just recently discovered it rather than a new admit.

Where is everybody going regardless? Pitt, right...for wolfie?

In the end, I think we can all just be excited for the next 4 years. I just went to a lecture from a 55 year-old MD/PhD who recounted his years of bouncing around between academia, clinical practice, foundation work, pharmaceutical industry work, even hospital administration. Got me excited about all the exciting directions our lives will be taking over the decades to come. And, the re-assuring idea that sometimes you never even really have to make up your mind about what you want to do. It's all about the journey.

yep pitt for me. Btw, it's been confirmed that wait list movement is over. I am confused though...what if someone drops the last week before school starts? What do they do?

yep pitt for me. Btw, it's been confirmed that wait list movement is over. I am confused though...what if someone drops the last week before school starts? What do they do?

Wait...when was it confirmed? *beep* *beep*

Members don't see this ad :)
Wolfie-- when was this call? Also, was it in response to your call, or did you just get a call from him randomly or because you had sent multiple inquiries?

that sounds like a pretty major axe in the coffin

Wolfie-- when was this call? Also, was it in response to your call, or did you just get a call from him randomly or because you had sent multiple inquiries?

I was sending in updates so it was probably in response to that. This was at the beginning of the week. He said that the wait list stopped moving last week and he was sorry that he had to break the bad news.

I was sending in updates so it was probably in response to that. This was at the beginning of the week. He said that the wait list stopped moving last week and he was sorry that he had to break the bad news.

That call must have been tough. Oh well Stanford, see you for residency!

That call must have been tough. Oh well Stanford, see you for residency!

Tufts then? right?

I still think this thread wins for most epic waitlist thread EVER. It was nice bugging each other over the last few months.

Last edited:
Wow, two more adds on the facebook group over the past three days-- up to 81!-- who are those folks to the best that you can tell? new classmates? or just people who only now are getting on FB?

Tufts then? right?

I still think this thread wins for most epic waitlist thread EVER. It was nice bugging each other over the last few months.

negative, UC Davis now!

3 points/questions...

1) there is some movement (someone got in this week, friend of a friend)
2) Facebook #'s have fluctuated, now up to 80
3) Did you guys receive letters in the mail, e-mails, or phone calls to let you know the WL movement is officially over?

3 points/questions...

3) Did you guys receive letters in the mail, e-mails, or phone calls to let you know the WL movement is officially over?
hope that friend of a friend was lined up to go to Pritzker, lol

3 points/questions...

wow well i guess that's good news... hopefully we see a little bit more trickling and people keep getting lucky.

Anyone else hear anything or of any movement @Stanford or anywhere? MDeast: are there still non-first years on the FB group?

Status
Not open for further replies.