Stanford Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What happened to you after your interview at Stanford, and what will you do?

• I was accepted, and I will attend.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I was accepted, but I will probably not attend.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I was accepted, but I will definitely not attend.

• I was waitlisted and Stanford is my #1 pick, if accepted I'll go.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I was waitlisted and Stanford is in my top 3 picks.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I was waitlsited, and I'm going to/have withdrawn.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I was rejected post-interview.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naijaba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to get a clearer picture of my chances of getting off of the waitlist :)

Also, if someone who was accepted could please tell me how large the facebook group of accepted students is, I'd appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Add a poll to see how many people were waitlisted/accepted post-interview. Maybe do....

(1) Accepted
(2) Waitlisted,
(3) Waitlisted, Withdrew
(4) Rejected

I'd be in category #2, and I'm rooting for you as well.

Edit: Wow, very thorough.

Is there a way that I can edit this one, or do I have to make a new poll?

Members don't see this ad :)
unfortunately i dont think the chances are very good...im guessing they waitlist 150-200 and accept 15-20 from the waitlist

im still in post-interview limbo here

unfortunately i dont think the chances are very good...im guessing they waitlist 150-200 and accept 15-20 from the waitlist

im still in post-interview limbo here

They've accepted up to 50 students from the waitlist in the past. Although, some years...they've accepted no students. Not all waitlistees will stay on the waitlist... and of those that stay on, not all will make an effort to let the office know they're still interested. In other words, it's possible to get in, but almost impossible to predict your chances (pretty much what the waitlist letters says in a slight tone of pessimism).

They've accepted up to 50 students from the waitlist in the past. Although, some years...they've accepted no students. Not all waitlistees will stay on the waitlist... and of those that stay on, not all will make an effort to let the office know they're still interested. In other words, it's possible to get in, but almost impossible to predict your chances (pretty much what the waitlist letters says in a slight tone of pessimism).
The letter seemed to inform us not to really contact them I thought...more like a "we'll call you if/when we want to..."

The letter seemed to inform us not to really contact them I thought...more like a "we'll call you if/when we want to..."

I'd contact them. I actually asked a M1 I met who got taken off the waitlist last year, and he had written a letter to Dean Garcia.

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't already contact them...several times haha

Just trying to get a clearer picture of my chances of getting off of the waitlist :)

Also, if someone who was accepted could please tell me how large the facebook group of accepted students is, I'd appreciate it.

The facebook group has 49 people at present

The facebook group has 49 people at present

Thanks for the info! I wonder how many people were accepted but did not join/find the group?

mdeast said:
What do you want to add?

I was going to add the poll options that you suggested, but I think the poll basically sums up all the information that I wanted to know.

Thanks for the info! I wonder how many people were accepted but did not join/find the group?

Or...how many people joined the group, but will end up going someplace else.....

So for those of you who wrote letters, to whom did you address them? Additionally, was it simply updates or what? I'm a little hesitant to bombard them given I don't have huge new things to update.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for those of you who wrote letters, to whom did you address them? Additionally, was it simply updates or what? I'm a little hesitant to bombard them given I don't have huge new things to update.

I'm in the process of writing mine up too...which is hard because I'm also trying to fill out the FAFSA and enjoy a relatively active social life pre-medical school :).

I think you should send emails to either Dean Garcia or Greg Vaughn. I was going to send more of my update letter to Greg, and more of my "I really want to go to Stanford" letter to Dean Garcia. But, I think both have some sway at taking people off the waitlist. Dean Garcia's a really nice guy, and if you interviewed.... we all met Greg. Such a sweet man. Stanford must have the most friendly (at least in person) admissions team of any school I interviewed at. They may need to work on the quality of rejection/waitlist snail mail letters...but in-person, everyone was great!

I wrote an update discussing some activities that I did this past summer and current projects that I am working on at the school where I teach. I addressed that letter to the committee as a whole and sent it to my admissions counselor, Arturo Herrera. He replied stating that it was added to my file.

I subsequently wrote a request for more information about the waitlist to Arturo, but I received the same "Your application has been updated" email in response. That was a little weird because I was clearly asking him for a specific response about the waitlist. I think he thought that I wanted the committee to know about my interest in the waitlist.

I am now writing a letter to Dean Garcia about my intent to attend Stanford. I had the opportunity to meet him this past summer in Betheseda so I'm talking about how that encounter peaked my interest in the school.

Seems like the Penn waitlist has many, many more people, based upon survey results compared to Stanford. I just thought I'd bump this one up!

Seems like the Penn waitlist has many, many more people, based upon survey results compared to Stanford. I just thought I'd bump this one up!

I just starting writing my letter to Dean Garcia and realized just how easy it was to write. I just really love Stanford.

How long is yours? I'm trying to make it as concise as possible. I know he doesn't want to read a two page epic....which is a mistake I think I made with other schools pre-decision.

I just starting writing my letter to Dean Garcia and realized just how easy it was to write. I just really love Stanford.

How long is yours? I'm trying to make it as concise as possible. I know he doesn't want to read a two page epic....which is a mistake I think I made with other schools pre-decision.
MDeast, are you writing a letter of intent or an update letter? I think that determines length...if its an update letter, depending on how much you have new going on, anywhere up to a page is fine. If its an LOI, I'd keep it short and sweet.

MDeast, are you writing a letter of intent or an update letter? I think that determines length...if its an update letter, depending on how much you have new going on, anywhere up to a page is fine. If its an LOI, I'd keep it short and sweet.

Yeah...already sent in my update letter. It was like a bit over a page (maybe 1.5 pages), but mainly because I had to list all the conferences/talks I gave over the last year so they took up a lot of room. I also had an new clinical activity that I've been doing for a year, so I took a paragraph to explain exactly what it was.

I'm trying to keep my LOI under a page, short and sweet. Telling them I still want to go, the reasons why, and the ways I'd contribute as a student. So, 3 short paragraphs.

Yeah...already sent in my update letter. It was like a bit over a page (maybe 1.5 pages), but mainly because I had to list all the conferences/talks I gave over the last year so they took up a lot of room. I also had an new clinical activity that I've been doing for a year, so I took a paragraph to explain exactly what it was.

I'm trying to keep my LOI under a page, short and sweet. Telling them I still want to go, the reasons why, and the ways I'd contribute as a student. So, 3 short paragraphs.
I might be wrong, but I thought an LOI should only go to one school?? Is Stanford your definite top choice?

I might be wrong, but I thought an LOI should only go to one school?? Is Stanford your definite top choice?

Sorry, Letter of Interest/Intent. Basically that I really want to stay on the waitlist and that I will accept an offer if taken off it. That's true for multiple schools for me. I have some preferences among the places I'm waitlisted, but I I'd accept the offer if any of them gave it me. I'm going to word this clearly and fairly in the 3 letters I'm writing right now to the schools I'm waitlisted at.

The student I asked who got in off the waitlist even told me he didn't mention in his letter that he'd definitely enroll and was still offered a spot, so I don't know how much weight such statements of intention really carry anyway.

Last edited:

My letter at present is four paragraphs, and a I may add a fifth. It is less than one page in length.

My letter at present is four paragraphs, and a I may add a fifth. It is less than one page in length.

Awesome, that's about what I'm shooting for too.

1000 posts! I have reserved this very, very sad milestone for Stanford.

1000 posts! I have reserved this very, very sad milestone for Stanford.

Yeah, but you post all over the place. I remember you had 600 when I was starting 500, and now you're past 1000 and I'm not even at 600 yet haha.

Yeah, but you post all over the place. I remember you had 600 when I was starting 500, and now you're past 1000 and I'm not even at 600 yet haha.

Yeah, pretty ridiculous. My postings have gone up dramatically in the last month or two...really is pretty pathetic of me.
OMG. I'm a 1K Member now. Oh yeah, it's like military rankings. I am now your superior officer.

On a happier (and less a sad, why do you spend your whole day on SDN?) note, I got into both USC-Keck and BU today. I don't think I'll be attending either (but maybe checking out second looks pending $$$), but these are my first acceptances since December. Maybe there's still a little bit of juice left in this med school applicant old timer! I'm hoping the lucky streak can ride through May.

Stanford :xf:

Yeah, pretty ridiculous. My postings have gone up dramatically in the last month or two...really is pretty pathetic of me.
OMG. I'm a 1K Member now. Oh yeah, it's like military rankings. I am now your superior officer.

On a happier (and less a sad, why do you spend your whole day on SDN?) note, I got into both USC-Keck and BU today. I don't think I'll be attending either (but maybe checking out second looks pending $$$), but these are my first acceptances since December. Maybe there's still a little bit of juice left in this med school applicant old timer! I'm hoping the lucky streak can ride through May.

Congrats, man!

Wait to go! That's really good, especially USC-Keck because they look for a very unique set of applicants.

Wait to go! That's really good, especially USC-Keck because they look for a very unique set of applicants.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was honored to get those letters yesterday, I really liked the mission/ethos of BU when I visited in the Fall. I was also surprised to like Keck so much more than I was expecting, and I was expecting a waitlist for interviewing so late. It was my last interview, but probably the best one (on my part) that I've had. Haha, 12 interviews makes you an absolute pro by the end. Compared to my first interview (at Einstein), where I was a rambling, incoherent bafoon, it was literally night and day.

But, I think the price tag at BU and Keck might be too high, considering Sinai is cheaper (lower tuition, $550 rent in Manhattan), in NYC (which I'd prefer to LA, Boston), and higher ranked...but I'm gonna think about it a bit more and wait for financial aid.

Stanford is still my #1. Possibly tied with Penn, but actually I think a step above it. I'd go to either without question if accepted off the waitlist. I'm just so anxious to hear. Cornell still has a special place in my heart as well. And I hope you all hear some good news too.

:)

ooOOoo .... as of now, the ppl who were accepted but def/prob will not attend is 6, and the # of waitlisted people who have stanford as top pick is also 6 ....

:D

I like this...

ooOOoo .... as of now, the ppl who were accepted but def/prob will not attend is 6, and the # of waitlisted people who have stanford as top pick is also 6 ....

:D

I like this...

Yeah, but that's supposing Stanford only accepted exactly 86 students.

Check out USC's match list (2010). Speaks for itself. % of grads getting in Ortho, ENT, Derm, look good. Avg USMLE score is 235. :)

lol way to rain on his parade, Naijaba

From my interview day, I was left with the impression that they initially send out 86 offers, then fill up from the waitlist if needed, which usually goes to ~150 offers total.

but if I'm wrong .... :( thx alot Naijaba....:laugh:

From my interview day, I was left with the impression that they initially send out 86 offers, then fill up from the waitlist if needed, which usually goes to ~150 offers total.

but if I'm wrong .... :( thx alot Naijaba....:laugh:

lol sorry to be so negative. FYI, in 2008 Stanford accepted a total of 172 students, so if what you said is true our chances are better.

lol sorry to be so negative. FYI, in 2008 Stanford accepted a total of 172 students, so if what you said is true our chances are better.

I don't know the exact answer to this, but I think between 125-150 are accepted initially. If that doesn't fill the class, then they go to the waitlist. Last year they apparently accepted ~50 students from the waitlist. In previous years, it's been none. So, it's highly variable.

Can anyone update us on the size of the Facebook group?

I don't know the exact answer to this, but I think between 125-150 are accepted initially. If that doesn't fill the class, then they go to the waitlist. Last year they apparently accepted ~50 students from the waitlist. In previous years, it's been none. So, it's highly variable.

I've heard of this too. Although I suspect it would be very difficult to maintain exactly 86 by sending 140ish offers initially, especially with Stanford's reputation and today's unstable economy. A better strategy would be to send less initial offers, then fill up from the waitlist.

This is all pure speculation, so I could be wrong.

From what I read, the admissions scene has changed drastically in 2008 w/ the economic meltdown. Universities (for undergrad) are more uncertain regarding what % of the offers will be accepted. So the new strategy is to accept less initially and waitlist more people than previously. Therefore, schools have more control over matriculation. Although the case might be different for med schools, i would think they experience the same trends.

This cycle is more like last cycle, which is likely different from any other yr due to the extraordinary circumstances

you have some great acceptances, true! where do you think you're leaning?

Thanks! I am really happy with how this cycle turned out for me. I am leaning towards Stanford. Sadly I wont be able to go to any second looks partially coz of schedule and partially coz of $$ but I shall have a decision within a week or so =)

Good Luck to all those waiting! :luck::luck:

Where did you hear ~50? I'm just curious..?

Where did you hear ~50? I'm just curious..?

A current student told me this. He/she posts on here.

Also, I emailed one of the students I met when I stayed overnight, and he told me that he had been waitlisted last year and accepted and that there were a lot of people in his class who came in that way.

I don't think 50/86 students in the class are from the waitlist. But, it took 50 spots from the waitlists to reach 86.

A current student told me this. He/she posts on here.

Also, I emailed one of the students I met when I stayed overnight, and he told me that he had been waitlisted last year and accepted and that there were a lot of people in his class who came in that way.

I don't think 50/86 students in the class are from the waitlist. But, it took 50 spots from the waitlists to reach 86.

How do you suppose they choose wait list candidates? I mean, if it took 50 people, then they probably weren't choosing those who sent in letters of intent. :confused:

How do you suppose they choose wait list candidates? I mean, if it took 50 people, then they probably weren't choosing those who sent in letters of intent. :confused:

I could definitely see more than 50 people writing letters. The student I talked to wrote a letter without stating he'd definitely enroll.

I think waitlist movement largely comes from whoever decides not to go. I.e. if a anthropology major with a strong global health background withdraws, they'd want someone similar to replace her/him. Or, if a science heavy person withdraws, they'd want someone to replace her/him.

Small class size, so they have to keep in mind diversity still when they're selecting from the waitlist. That's my guess at least. A letter can't hurt though.

FYI: 40 long days until May 15th :(

Last edited:
anyone get a response from Dr. Garcia besides Question?

anyone get a response from Dr. Garcia besides Question?

Nope. I got a response from Arturo and it's added to my file on the Stanford status page, but nothing from Dean Garcia unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.