Start of medical school affecting your selection process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staples

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have y'all considered the start of first year (August versus September) in choosing your medical school? For instance, could you potentially start school in August and be accepted off the waitlist once medical school starts? Had you attended another school that started in September, you would still be eligible to go to the school where you were accepted in August. From what I have heard, you cannot accept a place off the waitlist once you have started at another school.

I know chances are slim that you get in somewhere in August, but has start date crossed anyone's mind for this or any other reason? And if so, has it impacted your decision in choosing a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Staples

I know chances are slim that you get in somewhere in August, but has start date crossed anyone's mind for this or any other reason?

No.

Welcome to SDN!! :clap:

I know chances are slim that you get in somewhere in August, but has start date crossed anyone's mind for this or any other reason?

yes.

Welcome to SDN!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Have y'all considered the start of first year (August versus September) in choosing your medical school? For instance, could you potentially start school in August and be accepted off the waitlist once medical school starts? Had you attended another school that started in September, you would still be eligible to go to the school where you were accepted in August. From what I have heard, you cannot accept a place off the waitlist once you have started at another school.

I know chances are slim that you get in somewhere in August, but has start date crossed anyone's mind for this or any other reason? And if so, has it impacted your decision in choosing a medical school?

EH...... yes and no.

Welcome to SDN!!

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Someone didn't know that?
I knew from the comment about running away from guys yelling "hot chicks!":laugh:
*singin* she's a brick....house! *singin*

That's what I'm saying!

Impacted? No.

Speaking of "impacted", I had impacted molars once. It was painful. Almost as painful as reading one of Brickhouse's posts. Pssh.

One thing that I hear works well is taking numerous acceptances, cloning yourself many times over, and then sending the clones to take classes at the schools while you play video games in your apartment at home. At the end of the 4 years, kill them all off, go to the commencement of your favorite, and....voila!

At least that's what my neurosurgeon said worked for him.

I felt the same actually. UCLA starts in early August, while at least two waitlists I'm on, Columbia and Pritzker, start in September I think. It almost seems like there is always 1-2 last minute drop-outs at each school, but then again if I have that much luck, I would have won the lottery 10 times already :(

Oh and Welcome to SDN...You'll find lots of COOL and UNCOOL people here :D

why would you prefer pritzker to UCLA? Closer to home (soemhow, I think I remember internalizing the fact that you have lived in Canada before)? Just wondering...

Originally posted by mosoriire
why would you prefer pritzker to UCLA? Closer to home (soemhow, I think I remember internalizing the fact that you have lived in Canada before)? Just wondering...

I haven't lived in Canada before, it may be India (Birthplace), Australia (Citizenship), or England (Lived there before) that you were thinking. My family lives in Hong Kong.

I actually have a huge debate going on in my mind. UCLA is probably better than Pritzker in many different aspects, but I still wanna get a Chicago experience. After all, I can only live once in this world and I wanna explore as many places as I can...

Chicago is worse than England...I dont know if you liked it in England...It doesnt rain half as much, of course...Oh wait, it is in the Great lakes region, it does. The Cold is unimaginable (also because of the Great Lakes System)....

I couldnt help but notice that you've lived in a lot of warm places...

Wait, what the hell am I doing trying to tell people where they should spend four years of medical school? Sorry. I'm totally in SDN mode...

You're right, you should get all the wonder lust out of your system and burn it up before you become a calcified, bitter, disgruntled physician who hasnt seen half as much of the world as he would have loved to.

Originally posted by mosoriire
You're right, you should get all the wonder lust out of your system and burn it up before you become a calcified, bitter, disgruntled physician who hasnt seen half as much of the world as he would have loved to.

I feel that even if I ended up hating Chicago so much as to wanna shoot myself in the head rather than living there, at least I've lived in Chicago and got the experience.

OK I'm just weird.