Start PGY-1 or PGY-2 - confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siednarb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year D.O. med student interested in PMR - i am a little confused about how PMR programs work (as they are all MD programs).

Do I apply to the programs for PGY-2 spots as a 4th year student or do i apply to programs for the PGY-2 spots while doing my internship? Or does it depend on the program? If the latter is true - how do you find out which program who apply as an intern or as a 4th year med student.

Any help on this would be of utmost help.

Also - does anyone know anything about the PMR program at Wayne State University in Detroit?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You would rank both 3 yr programs and 4 yr programs during your fourth year through the NRMP. If you rank a 4 yr program, you would not enter a supplemental list. If you rank a 3 yr program, you would enter a supplemental list for your internship preferences.

For each 3 yr program, you can enter a different supplemental list. So if you ranked Baylor PM&R #1, you would enter a supplemental list (because Baylor is a 3 yr program). You might rank an internal medicine prelim yr at Baylor on this list if you wanted to not have to move after internship.

If you ranked San Antonio #2, you would not enter a supplemental list with it (because San Antonio is a 4 yr program.)

If you ranked Emory #3, you would enter a supplemental list (because Emory is a 3 yr program.) This supplemental list can be different from your Baylor list if you want it to be. Maybe you want to do your internship at Emory.

The NRMP will first match you with a PM&R program. After you are matched with your PM&R program, it will then match your internship if needed (if your PM&R match was a 3 yr program).

Hope this makes sense.

Do you know if the 4 year programs the first year is like a traditional year that can be used for an AOA approved internship.

Is the first year in a 4 year program ran more like a trans year?

Members don't see this ad :)
The four year programs that I've seen the first year is usually more of a pre-lim year in medicine. So, this would not be AOA-approvable. However, if you start as a PGY-2 you can do an AOA-approved internship or ACGME transitional year (and apply for approval to the AOA).

Ok - i got that - thanks for that explanation - one other question, however.

Are there any 3-yr-programs in which you can apply to them while doing your internship (AOA in my case). In other words, are there any PMR programs that take applications from current interns looking to go into PMR?

My problem is that I do not know what I want to go into for sure- and I feel (probably like others) that I just don't know if I will be 100% sure what I want to go into by December of this year.

So i was wondering if PMR is a specialty that will take applications from someone in the midst of doing their internship. Are there any or other specialties that take applications from internships - or should i force myself to make a decision so as to not put myself at a disadvantage?

please help
:confused:

All positions offered through the Match are for 1 1/2 years in advance. You could, however, look for a position outside the Match if you wanted to wait to apply during your internship.

Your choices would be more limited of course. Positions outside the Match pop up when someone who matched drops out, or a program didn't fill all their slots in the Match, or a program is expanding and adding new slots.

This is a little more risky because you don't know if there will be any slots available or where they will be. You might get a slot but not where you want to go. Or you might not get a slot at all.

I guess if you don't get a slot, you could go ahead and enter the Match for the following year. You would have to take a year off between internship and residency. That might not be all bad. You might have to explain to programs during interviews why you chose that route.

Taking a year off is not all that uncommon. Some people take time off during residency to pursue a volunteer interest, travel, have a family, whatever.

Seeking has got it right. PM&R is becoming a little more competitive these days and I don't know if you can count on PGY-2 spots being available at quality programs outside of the match. But, there are plenty of people who do match for PGY-2 spots at programs outside of the match every year. It's just riskier.

So... as an MS IV can you match to an AOA internship through the osteopathic match and a PGY-2 PMR spot through the NRMP without getting dropped by the NRMP? Sorry, still confused.

I would email or telephone the NRMP with that question. I emailed them with a question and they answered in less than 24 hours with a thorough response. Contact info can be found on their website.

Originally posted by Southy
So... as an MS IV can you match to an AOA internship through the osteopathic match and a PGY-2 PMR spot through the NRMP without getting dropped by the NRMP? Sorry, still confused.

Yes, they are essentially two separate matches. As long as you don't apply to any PGY-1 slots or integrated four-year PM&R programs through the NRMP you can still match into an AOA-traditional internship via the AOA match without getting dropped. You would match at your internship in the AOA match (which is before the NRMP) and then match your PGY-2 slot in the NRMP later in March.

drusso,
Thanks for the great info. Would you recommend matching like that (i.e. PGY-1 AOA, PGY-2 NRMP)... or do PMR programs generally expect or encourage you to do an NRMP transitional year at their institution or affiliated hospital? Advantages or disadvantages by going either route? Thanks in advance.

It really makes no difference to the PM&R programs where you do your pgy1. If you do it at the same hospital, great. If you do it in in Hawaii, great. As long as it's accredited and fits the requirements.

However, some residents will say that doing a pgy1 at the same hopsital is advantageous. Knowing the medicine residents by name can make things easier when it comes time to make that midnight transfer back to the acute medicine floor if a patient gets sick.

who knows, I really think it doesn't matter.