Started Job at Big Tech Company-How to Send Update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulEngineer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A large part of my personal statement was how my work experience in my field will make me a better medical student/doctor. I changed jobs/started at a Big Tech Company (think Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google) at the beginning of the year. I want to inform the school I was waitlisted at of my job change because I think it will make me a more attractive/qualified candidate, but I don't want the school to think I'm less committed because I started this new job/advanced so much in my non-medical career. I am definitely going to attend if accepted.

Any advice on how to frame my update letter?

Members don't see this ad.

A large part of my personal statement was how my work experience in my field will make me a better medical student/doctor. I changed jobs/started at a Big Tech Company (think Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google) at the beginning of the year. I want to inform the school I was waitlisted at of my job change because I think it will make me a more attractive/qualified candidate, but I don't want the school to think I'm less committed because I started this new job/advanced so much in my non-medical career. I am definitely going to attend if accepted.

Any advice on how to frame my update letter?
A new job is not a substantive update.

Reactions: 1 users
If a successful tech-to-medicine app is worth $100, $99 is in traditional med school app elements such as GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, letters. $0.99 is in evidence of grown-up employability in a non-medical field. $.01 (that you could just as soon drop down the nearest storm drain) is in which tech company you're with.

Investing time/effort in your tech career is 180 degrees from getting yourself into med school. You gotta pick.

#mytechresumewouldmostlikelycrushyourtechresumelikeabug #igotwhereyouwantotobe #youwillprobablyargueanyway

Reactions: 4 users
If a successful tech-to-medicine app is worth $100, $99 is in traditional med school app elements such as GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, letters. $0.99 is in evidence of grown-up employability in a non-medical field. $.01 (that you could just as soon drop down the nearest storm drain) is in which tech company you're with.

Investing time/effort in your tech career is 180 degrees from getting yourself into med school. You gotta pick.

#mytechresumewouldmostlikelycrushyourtechresumelikeabug #igotwhereyouwantotobe #youwillprobablyargueanyway

This may be the best post on SDN I've seen, like ever.