Started Late, Low Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_rae_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to apply this cycle, but I'll admit to having crammed all my pre-reqs into four semesters. My grades are higher than they've ever been, but I only started pursuing vet school last year, so I'm concerned about experience.

Schools: U Illinois, Kansas State, Iowa State, Michigan State, Tufts, Wisconsin-Madison (potentially)

Home State: Vermont, no in-state vet school

GPA: 3.64
Last 45 GPA: 3.76
Science GPA: 3.78

GRE: I'm likely not taking it since none of my potential schools are requiring it this year, except WM. I'm debating if I should take it just so I can apply to WM as it was one of my first choices (advice on that also welcome)

Veterinary Experience:
40 hours - Small Animal Clinic
I'm hoping to gain more experience this semester if things are open again. I was supposed to get nearly 100 more hours this summer as well as a 400 hr zoo internship before COVID hit, but both were cancelled.

Animal Experience:
Exotic Education/Research Animal Care and Husbandry = 250 hrs
Shelter Volunteer = 300+ hrs
Wildlife Rehab = 30 hrs
Equine/Farm Volunteer = 30 hrs
Rabbit ownership = 10,000 hrs+
Pet Sitting = 150 hrs

Employment Experience:
Ben & Jerry's Scooper (shift manager)
Grocery Customer Service Associate (shift manager)
Pet Sitting Business, self-employed
Resident Assistant

Awards:
Alchemist Opportunity Fund Scholarship (reoccurring for all four years of undergrad)
Cole Family Scholarship (reoccurring, three years of undergrad)
Samara Fund Scholarship (one time scholarship based on LGBTQ+ activism)
Dean's List (one semester)
President's List (six semesters)
Vermont State Granger Educational Aid Fund (one time scholarship)

LORs: two veterinarians, one wildlife rehabber, one research biologist, and one chemistry professor

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're applying to ISU, have you calculated your science GPA separately for them according to the criteria listed here? The school incorporates only a small handful of classes into their science GPA (those marked on that page with a red asterisk), which often results in confused applicants asking why their science GPA for ISU is lower than that for other schools. Granted, your GPAs are overall fine, so I doubt it'll make a substantial difference in your case... but still wanted to make you aware of that quirk in ISU's process in case you weren't aware and hadn't accounted for it.

Your vet experience is quite lacking but it's difficult to predict just how much that'll hurt your chances for this cycle; schools have been and are continuing to make adjustments to their admissions processes in response to COVID-19, and I suspect that they're going to wind up being more lenient than usual on the experience front. It looks like you've got a decent amount of animal and other experience as it is, at least. Ordinarily I'd say that 40 hours of vet experience is far too low... but this also isn't anywhere near an ordinary application year and it's hard to know precisely how badly that is going to burn you.

That said, if you at all can, I'd look to eek out more vet experience between now and VMCAS submission. It'd be even better if you can diversify a bit and get something outside of the realm of small animal med. It's good to see that you'll have two vets on for eLORs, though I'd also caution that quality definitely trumps quantity here. I'd much rather apply with three or four exceptional accolades than five lukewarm recommendations. If you're confident that all of these letters will be very strong, then that's totally fine (just realize that it's likely your schools will not read all of them).

Academically, I think you're fine for ISU. Your GPAs are all on the high side of average to above average. I really think it's going to come down to how heavily vet experience gets weighed by each particular school this year, if you do decide to apply now. If I were in your position, I personally would probably wait until next cycle, try to obtain as much experience as possible in the interim while keeping the GPAs solidly in their current ranges, and see how things stand then because---pandemic or not---40 hours of vet experience is very, very low, even with your grades being what they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello!

Your GPA is competitive but, as I’m sure you’re aware, your experience is your downfall. It’s so tough right now to strengthen that aspect, so you have to explore other ways.

If I was in your position, I would probably take the GRE and add on some schools that accept the GRE. Hopefully doing it would make you more competitive (given you do well).

I would look at the schools you’re applying to and see what the average experience is of those who are accepted. This will help you manage your expectations.

Additionally, I would not list rabbit ownership as animal experience. It is almost assumed that every vet school applicant has animals. If you went through something medically with your rabbit, maybe you can write about this in an essay.

I would also write about transferable skills earned at your jobs in your essays. For example, your experience dealing with customers has helped shape your communication skills - something vital in the vet-owner-animal relationship.

The strength of your LOR will really play a big role in your application as well. Do you think they are strong? Do you know the people who wrote them well?

Since you're applying to ISU, have you calculated your science GPA separately for them according to the criteria listed here?

I can't calculate physics and A&P and Orgo/Biochem because, well, I haven't taken them yet... I know I sound like an underdog but I'm on track to only have two pre-reqs outstanding my spring semester. I've actually taught myself organic this summer so I can take Biochem at the same time as Orgo I. If nothing else, I'm determined, and I'm really hoping they give me a shot so I can at least explain the low experience.

40 hours of vet experience is very, very low, even with your grades being what they are

The pandemic absolutely killed my chances on getting quality experience. I didn't start until last summer and I had another 50 hours of experience planned for the end of the spring semester, as well as another 60-100 planned for this summer along with that internship. When I knew that internship wasn't happening, I called and sent my resume to about six clinics, including an exotics and an emergency, and none of them were taking shadows at the time. I'm planning on calling the vet clinic near my school in hopes of being able to shadow a few hours a day, every day, until my application is due, and continue throughout the semester so if it comes up I can say I've been working towards more. My only shot is that the 600+ quality hours of animal experience I have can make up for it.

Do you think they are strong? Do you know the people who wrote them well?

I believe the two vets will be strong, if they agree, as one wrote my recommendation for my zoo internship. I haven't worked on any research with him, but I've worked closely with the research biologist for the past year caring for his animals. I have a strong relationship with the other two.

I would also write about transferable skills earned at your jobs in your essays. For example, your experience dealing with customers has helped shape your communication skills - something vital in the vet-owner-animal relationship.

Two of my essays are actually about being an RA and being a grocery employee in the middle of a pandemic.