Started off kind of bad, possible to correct?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently a sophomore with nearly 40 hours, my GPA currently is a 3.02 and my science GPA is a 2.44. I am new to the idea of pursuing a medical degree; any help that can be offered is much appreciated. My Science GPA is fairly low at the moment because I didn't manage my time well and got behind somewhat in those courses. Currently enrolled in, Bio 2,Chem 2, Chem Lab, Pre-Calc, Texas Politics.

I currently have no volunteer hours/shadowing hrs, so this needs to be addressed too. What is the best way of going about this?

Algebra - A
Politics - D
Writing 1&2 - B,C
Drugs & Society- A
History 1 & 2 - A, B
History & Styles of Jazz - A
Intro Chem - B
Chem 1 - C
Bio 1/Lab- B,C

Thanks for the help :)

Hool

Members don't see this ad.

Retake chem and bio 1, and get your mind made up for high GPA.

Don't bog yourself down with ECs until you figure out how to get near-straight As. They will just distract you from your first priority of GPA repair.

IMO, it isn't necessary to repeat a B in Bio I. Even retaking the C in Chem isn't essential if you "got" the material, so long as you do great on the higher course in the series, but by retaking you can invoke the AACOMAS (DO) grade forgiveness policy and remove it from consideration when your application sGPA is calculated for osteopathic med schools outside Texas. As your goal is probably a Texas school, tetakes won't help your GPA as much since there is no forgiveness with TMDSAS.