Starting a High School Medicine Club

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medislife15370

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was thinking about starting a medicine club at my high school and wanted some ideas. I was thinking about maybe doing "House like" cases? Very complex and requires a differential. Once case per week? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
 
I don't think that high schoolers have the level of knowledge required to actually benefit from doing any sort of differential type stuff. A better use of the club might be bringing in local doctors (if they're willing) or even medical students to talk about a career in medicine or something like that.
 
If you can try to start up a HOSA chapter. It can create truly incredible opportunities and can look incredible on your common app if you're president or do well in competition.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea a HOSA chapter may not be a bad idea. I went to a medical magnet program for high school which incorporated general health science type classes into the curriculum along with partnerships with many local businesses/hospitals that allowed for shadowing and some exposure to various health careers.

I don't think doing a kind of case based review would be helpful or a good use of time.
 
One strong opinion I have formed as someone whos interest in medicine began in high school -
WAYYYYYY too many premeds focus on learning about physiology and pathology and taking "medical relevant" classes when they need to be focusing on learning chemistry.
Even more so for high schoolers.
 
If you can try to start up a HOSA chapter. It can create truly incredible opportunities and can look incredible on your common app if you're president or do well in competition.

Second this! There was a big chapter at my school that had lots of extra opportunities to get exposure to the medical field and bring professionals in to speak.